Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Submitted my logo to the contest (anyone who wants to visit my site can see it there).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've submitted an entry.

I'll post it here after May 7th.
As promised, here's my entry. A bit pedestrian, but I'm pleased with the geometric typeface I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub logo.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	51260  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
As promised, here's my entry. A bit pedestrian, but I'm pleased with the geometric typeface I came up with.
I must say I like that one a lot. Clean and simple.

EDIT: Personally I would have used a thinner stroke for the letters, but this works too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's what I sent... my original OEB logo plus the requested "ePub" lettering embedded within.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I must say I like that one a lot. Clean and simple.

EDIT: Personally I would have used a thinner stroke for the letters, but this works too.
Well, since it's a stroked skeleton construction, thinner is easy (attached), but I rather like the bold, 'chunky' letters. (Well, I suppose that's obvious!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	epub logo thin.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	51264  
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I like it. Clean, sharp, and simple. Like the thicker lines as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Here's what I sent... my original OEB logo plus the requested "ePub" lettering embedded within.

Also nice, except I'd have omitted the dot in the “.ePub” Unless you wanted to make a statement about OEB being the format and .epub just being the file extension.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Well, since it's a stroked skeleton construction, thinner is easy (attached), but I rather like the bold, 'chunky' letters. (Well, I suppose that's obvious!)
It needed to be just a bit thinner, and your second version provides that. It's much better IMO.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #23
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
I missed the deadline for the contest,

but here's my entry nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	logo_contest_epub.png
Views:	197
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	51399  
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Also nice, except I'd have omitted the dot in the “.ePub” Unless you wanted to make a statement about OEB being the format and .epub just being the file extension.
Actually... that's exactly it. Though the IDPF should have also come up with a marketable name for the format, or used "ePub" as the official name instead of "Open E-Book," they never really did that. (And given the DRM issues of late, you'd almost think they'd want to remove the "Open" part of the name anyway, just to avoid starting arguments.)

Anyway, the dot is easily-enough removed...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is something of a belated announcement. The IDPF wants to adopt a new Epub logo, and they're hoping you can design it for them. They're having a contest right now, and are accepting entries until 7 May 2010.
And the result is announce tomorrow (25th May 1010)!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Here's an irony for you: Over the weekend, I decided to create a new Starbucks cup sleeve for ebooks (check it out here if you're interested... it's FREE). I wanted to include most of the common logos associated with ebooks out there, including many of the predominant formats. (And yes, I put my ePub logo in there. I may change it out later... depending on what we see tomorrow!)

When I went searching for the logos, however, I discovered that few of the various ebook formats were regularly using a format logo anymore... there were few sites you could go to and download a clean version of the logo to use elsewhere, web pages either barely or did not present them, and the few that were evident were often very small renditions, more page decoration than branding.

Most of them are simply using the name for branding, or in the case of companies like Sony and B&N, simply adding the word "format" to their existing brand name.

So, at just the time that the IDPF is presenting a logo for their format... format logos are already "so last year"...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I just looked over the agenda for today's IDPF conference. There is no mention of presenting the winning logo anywhere.

Anyone know if they just put it up on a wall somewhere?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The website just says "The winning design revealed May 25th at IDPF Digital Book 2010"

Quote:
I just looked over the agenda for today's IDPF conference. There is no mention of presenting the winning logo anywhere.

Anyone know if they just put it up on a wall somewhere?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Here's an irony for you: Over the weekend, I decided to create a new Starbucks cup sleeve for ebooks (check it out here if you're interested... it's FREE). I wanted to include most of the common logos associated with ebooks out there, including many of the predominant formats. (And yes, I put my ePub logo in there. I may change it out later... depending on what we see tomorrow!)
Your coffee cup sleeve is rather limiting in what devices it mentions. I think it either needs to mention a lot more devices or be a lot more generic. Also, most people aren't going to know what the old 500 logo is as Sony no longer uses it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The website just says "The winning design revealed May 25th at IDPF Digital Book 2010"
Teleread now reports that there were 203 entrants from 19 countries. The winning logo has been picked, but I haven't seen it yet.