Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
If you can find a collection of his short stories, there are some gems in there. He can certainly spin some great tales.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's very encouraging. I've been wanting to read Ender's Game after all the recomendations, but can't find an ebook. Your sure Ender's game is an ebook and not an audio book?

Thanks.
Yep, it's an ebook. But it is sequestered away in the iBookstore where only iPad owners can get it.

Luckily though, I checked B&N and they have Enders game too. Of course, getting it in EPUB format may be tricky. But I noticed Wallcraft said in another thread that if you download B&N's ebooks using the desktop software they will be in EPUB, but if you use your browser they will be PDB. I haven't tested this yet, so you might try a few free titles first to make sure it works before shelling out the $7.

Oh, never mind. I just remembered that you have to remove the DRM of B&N's EPUBs to get them to work on other devices--there's too many damn DRMs to keep track of these days.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 04-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Yep, it's an ebook. But it is sequestered away in the iBookstore where only iPad owners can get it.

Luckily though, I checked B&N and they have Enders game too.
The BN link I could find for Ender's Game *says* it's an ebook--but the synopsis says, "A full-cast production, now digitally remastered, of the science fiction classic featuring original recordings of Orson Scott Card."

But filesize is listed as 378 KB, which seems like an ebook. Likely, without a cover. And, of course, with the standard BN approach to ebooks--download our software to read it; filetype is irrelevant because we promise you can read it on our software.

MMPB is $5.99 ($5.39 for members); the ebook is $6.99.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The BN link I could find for Ender's Game *says* it's an ebook--but the synopsis says, "A full-cast production, now digitally remastered, of the science fiction classic featuring original recordings of Orson Scott Card."
It is an ebook, but it downloaded as an eReader ebook within the Windows app.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #20
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I have the Ender's game series in my to-read list for some time.

What is the correct order they should be read in. there are so many and I do like series

Publication or Chronological ?

If all are not good then please name the best ones that *must* be read.

I dont want to start with books that might put me off for the whole series.

I can come back to the others some time later if I ever come back to them.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That description is clearly of the "25th Anniversary Edition" full-cast audiobook version, which is absolutely superb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #22
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Xenocide isn't great in the same way that Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are, but it is still a great sci-fi novel and worth checking out if you're a fan of the series.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #23
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
I have the Ender's game series in my to-read list for some time.

What is the correct order they should be read in. there are so many and I do like series

If all are not good then please name the best ones that *must* be read.

I dont want to start with books that might put me off for the whole series.

I can come back to the others some time later if I ever come back to them.
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
A War of Gifts
Ender in Exile
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
piper10
piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 2, iPad, PW2
Has anybody read Ender's Game more than once? Was it worth reading it again, knowing where the story's heading?
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #25
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@daesdaemar thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper10 View Post
Has anybody read Ender's Game more than once? Was it worth reading it again, knowing where the story's heading?
I've read it twice. It was exciting the first time, but the second time was even better. It's definitely worth a second read.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #27
rollercoaster
Zealot

I started reading "First Meetings" and then will start with @daesdaemar's recommended reading order
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Interestingly enough, this book getting a new cover for the ebook edition was the topic of a blog posting:

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...=blog&id=59052

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post

I updated/clarified the recommended order of reading.

I recommend reading them in the following (Chronological) order, the whole series is an excellent read and fits together best this way. The below books indented were recently released books that fit best as indicated, but they can be read after the main series as well.

Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
A War of Gifts: An Ender Story
This short story takes place during Ender's Game. It was obviously a Christmas gift to Orson Scott Card's readers a couple of years back. I enjoyed this book. It is not critical to moving forward with any series but reading it after Ender's Shadow might be a good spot as it starts you thinking about Earth's future events.

First Meetings in Ender's Universe
Read the 1st two stories now. These two stories actually predate Ender's Game and could be read first, but gain a little context if read now. They do add depth to characters in the following books and should be read prior to continuing.
The Polish Boy
Teacher's Pest
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Ender in Exile
Read the 4th story now.
Investment Counselor
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Read the 3rd story (optional) this is the original Ender's Game short story. You could read this now to see how Card developed/changed the characters between this short story and his novel. Do Not read this prior to the novel of the same name.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-22-2010 at 12:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #30
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
After you've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, you might want to try the recent comic adaptations--

http://marvel.com/comics/enders_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%2...e_%28comics%29
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote