Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
The jetBook and jetBook Lite do not have backlights so you need good ambient lighting to be able to read with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a Jetbook, with all the features that is has and only $115 I think it's a great deal. I do have a question though, the screen is monochromatic screen does generate enough light to read at night without an additional light like the EBWise or do you still need ambient light to read with this device.

=X=
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I'm at work, so I can't watch the video. Did me mention the Franklin eBookman?

I ask because I first 'met' RJS on the eBookman discussion boards - we were both angry at Franklin for dropping .lit support without telling anyone they had done it.

So yes, he's been into ebooks for a loooooong time.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Jetbook is a good deal, the only reason it isn't my main device is that the contrast isn't good enough for my bad vision.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Not backlit at all, good news is this means it reads as well in direct sunlight as it does in low light conditions. Bad news is you need a bedsight light, book light, etc.

I have used mine in bed several times using a book light clipped to the bill of a baseball cap. Pointed at the Jetbook, if your book light is good its more than enough to read by.
Plus it automatically goes where you point your head.

Jetbook also sells an "ear light" that clips onto your ear for doing the same thing.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
ok this guy knows his e-readers!

I had never seen that formating issue with the nook before, it's shocking! All of those devices look very old school, I don't know why the people designing e-readers don't hire some hardware people who look at aesthetics of the devices more closely. Most of those apart from the nook and Jetbook look like the hardware was designed in the 80s.
The issue they all seem to have is the lack of hyphenation. That wols solve most of the problems with full justified text. It is a shame that NOBODY'S reader does it or does it well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm at work, so I can't watch the video. Did me mention the Franklin eBookman?

I ask because I first 'met' RJS on the eBookman discussion boards - we were both angry at Franklin for dropping .lit support without telling anyone they had done it.

So yes, he's been into ebooks for a loooooong time.
yes, I see Franklin eBookman on this video. Robert paid $229 for EBM-911 in 2001.
EBM-911 still available for $150 and EBM-900 with less memory and no backlight for $79.95
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
And my mother found an EBM-911 that she got me as a joke gift (having never heard of e-books) for $25 or so in a bargain bin at an Office Max in the US (or a store like it).

I used it not expecting much, and though it's jog-dial broke and it burned through batteries, I enjoyed it enough to stick with the whole e-book scene.

Can't imagine, though, paying $150 for it!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #23
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
yes, I see Franklin eBookman on this video. Robert paid $229 for EBM-911 in 2001.
EBM-911 still available for $150 and EBM-900 with less memory and no backlight for $79.95
I made Franklin take back my eBookman on general principle (I don't trust a company that would plain flat out lie to me), I do have to say that ergonomically it was the best reader I've tried. One handed reading, just flick the jog wheel - it was great.

If I could find something with those ergonomics and the long battery life and readability of my PRS-505, I'd be totally happy.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #24
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm wondering if someone on this forum read Robert J. Sawyer books? What is the most inereresting one?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #25
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
I'm wondering if someone on this forum read Robert J. Sawyer books? What is the most inereresting one?
I've read two. Both had great ideas, both were lacking in characterization and plot.

I doubt I'll be reading another.

Nice guy, though.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I agree with him completely concerning justification - the software needs to be able to handle hyphenation (which needs different tables for different languages).
I am pretty sure that the ePub spec allows for hyphenation points to be delineated in the mark-up. This way the layout engine doesn't need to care about the language at all... it only needs to understand the metrics of the font it is laying out and hyphenate at the best delineated hyphenation mark.

The layout engine also needs a very simple check to see if all of the words prior to the next paragraph mark will fit on one line... so you don't see three words on the last line in a para, one on the left, one centered and one flush right.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I've read two. Both had great ideas, both were lacking in characterization and plot.

I doubt I'll be reading another.

Nice guy, though.
I have plans to read Hominids - Hugo Award Winner
Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
I've read a few. HOMINIDS, HUMANS, and HYBRIDS.

Very interesting stories. Not the very best, but well worth reading. I know that doesn't make sense. You just have to read them to understand.

Alltogether I would recommend HOMINIDS and HUMANS in particular.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for posting that video. I enjoyed seeing the comparisons made in real life, rather than just reading them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I agree with what he said about the left margin being too small for jetBook. The text is just too close to the left edge, imo. I'd be delighted if we could be given an option to set the margin with a firmware update.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n nook, ebookwise 1150, ectaco jetbook-lite, foxit eslick, irex iliad