Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wily View Post
When I convert fanfics, I use Microsoft Word. I save it as an HTML, put the title of the story in "Heading 1" style, and put chapter titles in "Heading 2" style. I then set Calibre to recognize the h2 tag as a chapter and have it autogenerate the TOC. Works like a charm!

Where can I submit fanfiction? I've converted a few and there's one in particular I'd love to share with the world. I spent a lot of time proofreading it and converting it (since this was before I experimented with Word, I had to add in all the tags myself).
Do you not use FFn downloader to download your fics, or do you not read fanfiction on FFn?

When you say "submit fanfiction", you mean something that another author wrote but that you formatted, correct? If so, I would just contact the author and tell them and give them the file to distribute, since technically it isn't their work.

What kind of FFn is it?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Out of curiosity, and as a fanfiction writer myself, why do you not like A/N's? I understand some people can get a little crazy with long ones, but for the most part - myself included - they are only a couple paragraphs and help clarify points.

What DOES drive me crazy, though, is when people put A/N's in the story. It's called footnotes, people :-p
I have nothing against Author Notes. What drives me nuts if is the author has them on every single chapter. It makes no sense! And most of the notes have spoilers for the upcoming chapter like "in this chapter harry finally gets to kiss Snape!" or something like that. or they'll give the same thanks to the same beta they used on the last 50 chapters.

And then at the end of the chapter they'd thank their beta again or give a brief summary of the next chapter which they then repeat on the next chapter. When the story is merged you get 1 page of end notes, Chapter heading, then Author notes before you actually get to the next section. It's highly distracting. I've just started deleting as I bold the chapter headers (to create a table of contents later) So when I do sit down to read the story (hopefully months later so I forget all the spoilers) I can read it straight through without excess distractions from the story.

I don't mind author notes where translations are given for specific chapters. But really authors on ff.net as a general rule over-use author notes like it's going out of style or something. the notes need to be at the very beginning of the story and at the end.

I think what's happening though is people are posting WIP and so they treat each chapter likes it's an individual story.

Um this may be a pet peeve. I've recently just finished editing a few ff.net stories and I was boggled at the amount of notes that were embedded.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
When I convert fanfics, I use Microsoft Word. I save it as an HTML, put the title of the story in "Heading 1" style, and put chapter titles in "Heading 2" style. I then set Calibre to recognize the h2 tag as a chapter and have it autogenerate the TOC. Works like a charm!

Where can I submit fanfiction? I've converted a few and there's one in particular I'd love to share with the world. I spent a lot of time proofreading it and converting it (since this was before I experimented with Word, I had to add in all the tags myself).

Which microsoft word do you use to convert to HTML? Also do you get indented paragraphs or do they use spaces between paragraphs?

As for submitting fanfiction, if it's a story you've written you can submit it anywhere.

So far the only archive I know of that hosts ebook ready fan fiction is the Ebook Library. But I have to contact the author's for permission before hosting.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Do you not use FFn downloader to download your fics, or do you not read fanfiction on FFn?

When you say "submit fanfiction", you mean something that another author wrote but that you formatted, correct? If so, I would just contact the author and tell them and give them the file to distribute, since technically it isn't their work.

What kind of FFn is it?
Some people read only at livejournal and via archives and websites. I rarely read anything from fanfiction.net myself unless it's been recommended.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
I didn't know there was a downloader. I just went to each individual chapter and copy/pasted.

And, I meant if there was some database or library where I could submit the eBook format. I want to submit my own fic when it's finished as well. I see that I can't submit it to mobileread, because they're wary about copyright issues.

I've converted a few fics, actually:

Rockman: The Robot War by Ben Roberts, a stellar MegaMan fanfic which can be read independently of the series as it is a novelization of the first game. Great if you like sci-fi. Top notch stuff. This is the one I'd like to submit to a site for free eBooks.

Whispers in Time by Eric Lawson, which takes place some time after the above fic but is set in the same universe (Well, obviously it's set in the MegaMan universe, but it specifically references several things in Robot War). There are many problems with it, in that it's hard to tell who is talking some of the time, but if you can get past the odd writing style you'll find a deep and heartwrenching story that I highly recommend.

Terrornova, by Justin Sikes is a sequel to both of those that takes place in the X universe (which is explained satisfactorily within the previous stories and this story itself). I haven't finished reading it but so far it's really excellent.

All three of those stories can stand alone as their own series if you have never played any MegaMan games.

I have also done Follow The Fool by CantFakeTheFunk. I'm not sure if this story stands on its own. A lot of things in the game it takes place after are explained, but I'm not sure. It's a story containing femslash/lesbians. (Just warning you if you have a major problem with that.) It's really a sweet story, very cute and heartwarming.

I'm in the process of converting the liner notes and lyrics of the two albums by The Protomen. The Protomen have made two epic rock operas and you need the liner notes to get the full story. Their music is excellent and I cannot recommend them enough.
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #21
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Which microsoft word do you use to convert to HTML? Also do you get indented paragraphs or do they use spaces between paragraphs?
The newest one. Just save the file as "Web Page" and paste away. Works great.
When converting it in Calibre you can check "Remove spacing between paragraphs" which makes it into indented paragraph form. Excellent stuff.

Quote:
As for submitting fanfiction, if it's a story you've written you can submit it anywhere.
Even here? I'm in the middle of writing a novelization of MegaMan Legends 2, and wouldn't mind getting it out there once I'm done with it...

Quote:
So far the only archive I know of that hosts ebook ready fan fiction is the Ebook Library. But I have to contact the author's for permission before hosting.
Fantastic, thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
Achilles
Enthusiast
Achilles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I figured out how to go between chapters on Fanfiction.net!!! This was driving me crazy as I want to get a Kindle for my wife for Christmas to read fanfic and whatnot and I couldn't get it to go to the next chapter. Basically, it boils down to the fact that even in Advanced Mode, JavaScript is disabled on the Kindle.

Perform the following to rectify this:
  • Menu
  • Use Advanced Mode
  • Menu
  • Settings
  • Enable JavaScript

It makes the browser quite a bit slower, but at least you can change chapters! Yee-Haw!
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

Well, isn't that nice. While I prefer turning them into eBooks as it's easier to read and you don't have to use up battery for wireless, that's quite useful. Good work, Achilles!

hey, I didn't even know you could go to advanced mode!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
Achilles
Enthusiast
Achilles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Yea, I prefer conversion too, but the wife likes chillin' in bed just browsing Fanfiction.net and reading whatever sounds interesting at the time.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #25
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
The newest one. Just save the file as "Web Page" and paste away. Works great.
When converting it in Calibre you can check "Remove spacing between paragraphs" which makes it into indented paragraph form. Excellent stuff.
I've tried that before and it didn't work. Will try again. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #26
sigizmund
sigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook && Android
Quote:
I know the Kindle can (or at least COULD) do web browsing. How does fanfiction.net look on it? I know it's mostly text, so it shouldn't be too bad to load. Can you navigate through it? Can you write reviews?

I do know there are fanfiction downloaders for offline use, but I like finding stories to read by just poking around on FF, and I don't want to have to worry about archiving them ahead of time. Also, the stories I read tend to update a lot, so it would be a pain to have to archive them all the time.

Plus, the advantage of real-time reviewing without having to stare at a computer screen also excites me.
Hi,

Use this webservice to convert books to epub or HTML: http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/

I think Kindle must either support one of these formats or at least you can convert them.
sigizmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
You might want to check out Lemon too:

Quote:
Lemon is a Python script that keeps tracks of your chosen stories on FanFiction.Net or FictionPress.com, downloads newly released chapters, merges them into a story file with Kindle HTML markup and forwards them to your Kindle.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote