Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I tried with AlwaysVPN, and was able to successfully purchase and download one of the books that was failing a few days ago.

I know there are free US VPN things, but 5GB of data for $8.50 seemed like a good option for me as a one-time charge... with no ads and whatnot.

I just hope Amazon doesn't continue combating us internationalists.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
I suppose the big problem is that publishers expect them to try and restrict it. Especially if the rumors of the Kindle coming to other countries (once pubs in that country offer enough titles) is true.

Hopefully now that they've "tried" they'll leave it alone, at least for a while.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #18
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
I tried with AlwaysVPN, and was able to successfully purchase and download one of the books that was failing a few days ago.

I know there are free US VPN things, but 5GB of data for $8.50 seemed like a good option for me as a one-time charge... with no ads and whatnot.

I use Hotspot Shield and a minute ago I was able to purchase the Random House Freebies (from Suvudu.com/freelibrary).

I downloaded the hotspot shield program, run it, sign in and see my iPhone still registered. 1-click buy, and now waiting for the ebooks to download on my iPhone app.

Update:
I was able to download the 3 freebies via my iPhone 3G connection. At first I thought I need to create a wifi connection and connect my iPhone to my laptop running hotspot shield. But when I tried with my normal 3G connection, 3 ebooks downloaded immediately.

Phew, at least there's still a workaround for the time being.

Last edited by thianliongpatpoh; 10-05-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Update
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Another update:

The "issue" is now over. You can buy books again without the use of a VPN thing. I just bought one normally, and it worked.

I learned this from a recent comment on http://www.melvinneo.com/do-life/self-help-book:

"Read in the Kindle forums that Amazon CS said it was a “technical glitch” that has been fixed. I just disconnected the VPN service and tried to purchase a Kindle book. It works now, just like pre-Friday. No more “restricted geography” message. Cheers."
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I wonder, is buying those books this way different from downloading them from Darknet? In both cases the money doesn't go to the owner of the rights to sell the book in your country, so the argument that it's, as piracy antagonists say, stealing in relation to owner of those rights seems solid.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I wonder, is buying those books this way different from downloading them from Darknet? In both cases the money doesn't go to the owner of the rights to sell the book in your country, so the argument that it's, as piracy antagonists say, stealing in relation to owner of those rights seems solid.
Darknet = no one gets paid... at all
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPads and iPhones
Quote:
Another update:

The "issue" is now over. You can buy books again without the use of a VPN thing. I just bought one normally, and it worked.

I learned this from a recent comment on http://www.melvinneo.com/do-life/self-help-book:

"Read in the Kindle forums that Amazon CS said it was a “technical glitch” that has been fixed. I just disconnected the VPN service and tried to purchase a Kindle book. It works now, just like pre-Friday. No more “restricted geography” message. Cheers."
I tried to purchase today both free and paid books, and I am still getting the geographical note. VPN and Hidemy*ss proxies were *not* successful.
BTW, I'm from Brazil.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
How I would compare buying books by going around regional restrictions vs downloading from the darknet? As an example I would give buying liquor in the US if you are below legal drinking age. What is better, pretending to be 21 and paying for it at the counter or just slipping it under your coat and sneaking out? You tell me.

And in our case nobody would get hurt, since some of the books are not even available in other places where we can get them through regular means. In the end everybody wins. Even better, if the books are available elsewhere publishers/distributors/governments in other countries will be forced to charge reasonable prices or they will just have to open the markets and have a free for all. Because they cannot stop this, as last resort I could always get a US credit card.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
I tried to purchase today both free and paid books, and I am still getting the geographical note. VPN and Hidemy*ss proxies were *not* successful.
BTW, I'm from Brazil.
Still works for me, perhaps you should try a different VPN.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #25
Juliana
Juliana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello everyone,

I'm still unable to buy books from amazon too.
bspline, I'm from Brazil too. Please, send me a mp, so we can try it together.
I would really apreciate any help that i can get.
Thank you all.

Is there anyone else using hotspot shield that make it work?

Last edited by Juliana; 10-05-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Problem is, nobody owns the rights in my country (English book in Spain, you know).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #27
Juliana
Juliana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello friends,
I've made another mail's account and another amazon's account using hotspot shield all the time.
I've followed every step of the "guide" to buy books from outise US and i'm still getting the "sorry" message.
I havo no idea about what to do.
Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
That seems weird. The only thing I can think of is if they have blacklisted IP addresses for hotspot shield. Are there any other US based VPNs that you can try to use?

Maybe: http://www.ultrareach.com/index_en.htm
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
That seems weird. The only thing I can think of is if they have blacklisted IP addresses for hotspot shield. Are there any other US based VPNs that you can try to use?

Maybe: http://www.ultrareach.com/index_en.htm
That is strange. Hotspot shield still worked for me on Amazon yesterday.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #30
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
BTW, I'm from Brazil.
I'm from Germany, and I also get the note. Installing and running UltraSurf doesn't work.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote