Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I think its Naugahyde, but there is no mention if its from domestic farm or wild Naugas. The best you can hope for is that it isn't from poached Naugas.
You'd think with so many naugas out there that you'd occasionally see one in a zoo. Yet every time I ask about them I just get looked at like I'm crazy...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The eInk looks fantastic on the Pocket PRO 5 inch device and while the Sony PRS-505 remains the champion in this area, I think many may find the Pocket PRO display to work even better because it doesn’t have the whiter background.
This sounds a little strange to me also. Owning a 505, IMO, the background is more grey then white. I'm not sure how having an even darker background would help with perceived contrast; I wish, IMO, that for normal use, that my 505 (and future EInk devices that I may purchase) had more contrast (and I do not want backlit LCD).

Also, why not conclude that many people may find that the 600 would work even better then the PocketPro (and 505), after all, the 600 is even duller then the PocketPro.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Yep, my mistake. That might account for his perception that the Sony had "higher contrast" (whiter background).

I'd be curious to hear from anyone that has a 6" EZ Reader and also gets the 5" Pocket Pro, whether they perceive any different in the contrast of the displays.
Wallcraft did a very nice review of hte Pocket Pro from the standpoint of already owning the 6". I do not recall anything being mentioned about one display being better or different than the other, but I could have skimmed it too quickly. I followed a link he gave in another thread and do not remember where , but it is here somewhere for you to find.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I think its Naugahyde...
Pking, you really shouldn't start false rumors. Robertb said plainly that both the exterior and the interior of the cover are leather.

Weren't you the guy who compared the Pocket Pro to the Yugo before it was even shipped? Sounds like you have an agenda!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Sounds like Pking is from one of the other camps and is trying to keep us from going to the Pocket Pro. There are always the ones that believe that if it is not a brand name then it can not be good. Cauke that up to the Ad companies and the ads that bombs the TV and networks all day every day.

Chuck

We need to read more and Watch TV less and always set the TV to mute or fast forward at the Ads.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Pking, you really shouldn't start false rumors. Robertb said plainly that both the exterior and the interior of the cover are leather.
I apologize to all who were offended by my offhand remark that they might have slaughtered Naugas to create the fine cover for the PP. My inglorious attempt at humor was lost on all but Pilot Bob, and I'll not post in this thread again.

I am the poster who referred to the PP as a Yugo, and with just a firmware tweak more I damn well might be driving a Yugo. But if I do, I assure you it won't be because it has a leather cover instead of rich Corinthian Naugahyde.

I wasn't baiting or trolling or whatever, it just read humor better than write it.
Mea culpa...te precor dulcissime supplex!
Spero nos familiares mansuros.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #22
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I thought you were funny, pking. Personally, I like the way naugas try to absorb the skin of other creatures into itself, thus gaining their power. At least until the creature breaks free by ripping some of its own skin off.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I thought you were funny, pking. Personally, I like the way naugas try to absorb the skin of other creatures into itself, thus gaining their power. At least until the creature breaks free by ripping some of its own skin off.
I thought that was a Mist Wraith?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #24
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I see the page turn flash. which I thought they said wouldn't be in this device. I even called robertb out on it when I first heard it, and still they went around saying it all the way till the time they started shipping when I last was reading about it. "no flash" was still a feature

I don't care. I don't even notice the flash. but its just annoying that they said there wasn't one. I like the device overall though. I would get it if I needed a new reader. or if someone would sell me one for 150.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I don't care. I don't even notice the flash. but its just annoying that they said there wasn't one...
Unless 'no flash' is like it is on the Opus and you have to turn it on in the menu to have it enabled (since it degrades performance). Can someone who already has a PP comment?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #26
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Thanks for the review. I'm still considering which device to buy myself soon...so many options, can't decide. This one's definitely on the short list though.

Does anyone know if this device can switch to landscape view too?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post

Does anyone know if this device can switch to landscape view too?
Yes it can. There is a video on Youtube showing some of it's functions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=LkJ7Fi06T6M

and another video from Matthew Miller of ZD Net...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJ7Fi06T6M

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-11-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Have YOU examined a 6" Sony and a 5" EZ-Reader side-by-side, Jon? The reviewer DID. He stated his opinion. Calling it a "bunch of nonsense" is utter foolishness when YOU haven't done the side-by-side comparison. Yes, "poorer contrast" CAN be better, because if the background is TOO bright (ala reading on a computer screen) it can cause eye-strain. Most books are printed on paper that have a definite "yellowish cast," the paper is not "bright white.

Quit bashing a product just because you like a different product better. Why not go be constructive about the product you like?
I have seen the Sony 300 and 505 side-by-side and I didn't find the 505 to have more contrast. And I would think the 300 and PP are using the same 5" screen just as the 505 and EZ Reader are. I could be wrong here. But the 505 screen is not white. It's gray. The 505 is definitely not too "white".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #29
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes it can. There is a video on Youtube showing some of it's functions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVJLQ0rjGA

and another video from Matthew Miller of ZD Net...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJ7Fi06T6M
Thanks! Yeah, I just watched the ZDNet vid, no mention of landscape there...or I missed it. I have indeed seen the first one you list a while back, will watch it again now as I'm seriously leaning towards this one. Of course I can't decide on a colour
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

The one done by Astak will for sure show you landscape mode.