Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I would simplify it like this:

E-Book Devices (current)
-- Sony PRS-700
-- Sony PRS-505 (merge Content, Accessories, etc. in here as well)
-- Amazon Kindle DX
-- Amazon Kindle 2
I like this approach, although having separate forums for the PRS-300 and PRS-600 (Kindle 2 and DX, Hanlin V3 and V5) may lead to duplication. Also, there will be much under PRS-505 and PRS-700 in the (discontinued) forum that is applicable to the new PRS models. Still, this may be the best approach and it is easy to manage.

There should also be an "other" sub-forum in the two E-Book Devices forums, to avoid the "no where to go" issues like we have had with the jetBook (which definitely needs its own forum).

I suggest putting all Hanlin V5's in one forum, because most technical issues will be the same for all of them. Similarly for the Hanlin V3.

The hardest category is the Netronix EB600, which (with the exception of Bookeen) is now very similar to the Jinke distribution model. The EB600 with only minor variations in hardware and software is being (or will soon be) sold as: COOL-ER Classic, Elonex 600EB, and Astak Mentor Lite. This might also be the eClicto device in Poland. I suggest making the Forum name Netronix EB-600, although that is a bit obscure. In such cases, the actual device names can be in the small print describing the forum. I don't think that will be too confusing. The Bookeen devices might be using Netroinix hardware, but have unique firmware and so need to go in their own forums. The same may eventually be true of the Hanvon HandyBOOK N516 and the Azbuka 516 (same hardware, different firmware), however these would clearly be in the "other" category today.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-04-2009 at 12:58 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would put the OEM's in their own section based on different firmware because different firmware will bring different issues even with the same hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Using this layout, important forum sections would get buried deep below the forum's main, which makes it harder for users to find their way around. Adding too many subforums makes it harder to find the right place to post in and to find the right place for answers.
If you think 2 or 3 clicks to be "buried deep below", OK, but it would be just 1 click "deeper" then now. Plus it will add a clear structure for each device and if you're in the forum for your device nothing is changed...

Quote:
In other words, I wouldn't go farther down than one subcategory. I would merge existing sub-subsections (like content, accessories) using appropriate thread prefixes with the main section of the respective device. So one device = one forum section.
PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!! I've seen it in other forums and I HATE it... It's awful, nobody looks for the prefixes, sets them wrong and older posts from sections that are less used are buried under many, many pages (= you loose the clicks you saved from the flat structure).

If you do it anyways there NEEDS to be a possibility to filter the shown threads by prefix, so you can just see the needed "section"!

Last edited by gerraldo; 08-04-2009 at 07:01 PM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Can a "combined view" be created for forums with subforums? In such a combined view it would be possible to read posts and add replies, but not to create new threads, as new threads have to be in a subforum (or maybe in the main one). I think that would keep threads tidy and organized, without necessarily adding further depths to browsing.

Here is an example (under "Specialized Terminology" there is a "Combined view" link). In that link, the combined view is implemented as a predefined search, I wonder if there would be another way to do that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Now that the Cybook Opus is out and real, should a new forum be created or (I think it's better) the Gen3 forum renamed to Gen3 & Opus?
Don't forget a jetBook forum too!!!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
Don't forget a jetBook forum too!!!
Hear, hear!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
@gerraldo, we are trying to reduce the depth of forums from where we are right now. Hence an increase even by one is not what we're striving for.

Regarding prefixes and how people might not pay notice to them, I don't see this as a problem as long as the topics remain related to the respective device. Why should we separate accessories and troubleshooting from other discussions about the same device? Our users pay most attention to the main device category, many don't bother to look for the subsections when posting questions or looking for answers. Moreover, adding subsections for each and every device doesn't scale well. We are anticipating new devices now and in the future, and we must consider now how to keep the total number of forums in check.

You may rightly ask what we are to do with the developer sections of some of the devices. Good question! For that, I thought of adding a new main parent forum:

Developer Zone
-- Sony PRS-505
-- iRex iLiad
-- and so on

This way we split the development areas from the normal discussions, and at the same time give developers an easier way to browse in other related sections.

@Jellby, interesting idea to use a predefined search as a way to combine the view of a forum and its subforums. Btw, notice how most of the forums in the wordreference forum are only one level deep. I like that.

And no worries, I heard loud and clear about the need for a jetBook forum.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Thanks for the idea, but I would like to keep it more concise. The way you suggested would look like this:

E-Book Devices
-- Sony
---- PRS-505
------ Content
------ Accessories

and so on.

Using this layout, important forum sections would get buried deep below the forum's main, which makes it harder for users to find their way around. Adding too many subforums makes it harder to find the right place to post in and to find the right place for answers.

I would simplify it like this:

E-Book Devices (current)
-- Sony PRS-700
-- Amazon Kindle DX
-- Amazon Kindle 2

E-Book Devices (current)
-- Sony PRS-700
-- Amazon Kindle DX
-- Amazon Kindle 2
-- jetBook >-|- >.

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #24
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Regarding prefixes and how people might not pay notice to them, I don't see this as a problem as long as the topics remain related to the respective device. Why should we separate accessories and troubleshooting from other discussions about the same device?
It's mostly a problem when you're looking for older postings. If there are more postings and all are mixed in topics it's way harder to find something. Plus new postings will vanish faster from page 1.

That's why I think a feature to filter the threads by prefix/topic is absolutely needed! Would be an OK substitute for the different sub-forums. And it would be good to make the search functionality more prominent (= always visible - I think one would use this more often).

Quote:
You may rightly ask what we are to do with the developer sections of some of the devices. Good question! For that, I thought of adding a new main parent forum: Developer Zone
Yep, this is a very good idea. Normal users are not at all interested and for developers it'd be good to have it all in one place.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #25
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
But removing the development forums from the devices also means people are less likely to see the result of all the developing. Would the developers have to post finished programs/hacks/etc in the regular forums?
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My two cents is that I'd rather see broader categories.

Amazon Kindle
Bookeen
EZ Reader

A Kindle2 issue might very well be applicable to Kindle1 and KindleDX. By segregating it you reduce the exposure of posts, and a post in the K2 area might not be seen by KindleDX users even though it may be applicable. Furthermore, you need a certain critical mass of traffic to keep things lively. I'm comfortable seeing Kindle DX posts even though I own a K2, but don't mind picking and choosing the posts I read.

I admit there are some issues in regard to OEM's. I personally would vote for a separate Astak thread. This would include both EZReader (Jinke Hanline) and Mentor (Netronix).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
???

Has a decision been made about this yet?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We are working on it. Since it will involve moving existing threads around it's an irreversible process and as such all pros and cons must have been fully considered first.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
My two cents is that I'd rather see broader categories.

Amazon Kindle
Bookeen
EZ Reader

I admit there are some issues in regard to OEM's. I personally would vote for a separate Astak thread. This would include both EZReader (Jinke Hanline) and Mentor (Netronix).
That would be my preference as well (the sony already has this, btw)

(oh, but I wouldn't it be calling Bookeen and EZ Reader, but Netronix and Hanlin, with the various devices as sub forum)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 08-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That would be my preference as well (the sony already has this, btw)

(oh, but I wouldn't it be calling Bookeen and EZ Reader, but Netronix and Hanlin, with the various devices as sub forum)
Sorry, but the Sony has 2 different sections for PRS-505/500 and 700. The Amazon Kindle has just one sections for all it's devices.

And NO - a big fat (please) NO from me, for the idea to put all Netronix devices in one section (this would be just awful - it's the OS that makes the real difference in eReaders). What have Cybook, Slick, Cooler, Pocketbook etc. in common (apart from basic hardware)?!