Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Which ebook readers have that kind of screen? Jetbook?
Yes
and Cassiopeia A-11 and Cassiopeia A-20
and many many older PDAs that can be purchased very cheap third-hand
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Nate the great

I am not siding with anyone. I have my own priorities.
I never read ebooks before eInk because of eye strain.
Sony Reader with eInk & battery life & wonderful text display; is the perfect solution for me. Anything with non eInk screen is not an option for me, because of eyestrain. So, I do not visit most of non prs-505 forums. I give a cursory glance to kindle, prs-700/500 forums and follow News and Announcement forums and avoid Lounge since karma whores invasion. I think it might explain why if not all, but many of the eInk owners do not interract directly with non eInk owners We just frequent different pubs, although they across the road...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #18
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Nate the great

forums and avoid Lounge since karma whores invasion.
What's a Karma Whore? Seriously, just curious.

You know, I actually liked reading on my Franklin ebookman before it died on me, despite it's many major faults.
I liked the screen.
Sure, I had to angle it because of reflectiveness sometimes, but for me it was ok.
I have to mention that I have 20/20 vision though...
If I find another one used, I think I'll buy it.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, the Jetbook is getting talked up quite a bit and that's not an eInk device. iPhone/Touch seem to get a fair amount of play. Ebookwise still seems to get a healthy amount of discussion. I don't think there's a bias other than the fact that a lot of what's talked about is the new and exciting and in most cases that's going to be an eInk type device. For the most part that's what's coming out so that's what people are buying & discussing.
The Jetbook got slammed not because it is LCD. It got slammed because it's only 5" and the formats it support were not good enough. Still aren't (IMHO) until they get ePub and Mobipocket out there for it. But it'll still be a 5" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
See this is a common misconception. Most people don't like reading from a PC's LCD screen due to the back light. There are LCD screens that are reflexively lit just like an eInk screen.

BOb
Given the amount of reading people do on this forum, you could have read lots of ebooks on the same LCD screen that you used to read MR. So if reading MR is not a problem, why is reading an eBook a problem? When I started really reading eBooks, I was using an LCD monitor and then LCD screen of a laptop. I got the Sony so I could be more portable. The laptop is not portable enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Nate the great

...avoid Lounge...
That's a shame. You're missing a lot of funny posts. And most aren't nonsense; we have some really clever people here. If you don't read Marc's posts, then you are really missing out. Not reading my posts, on the other hand, is probably better for your health. I know 6 people here who don't eat or drink while reading my post. They're afraid of choking to death.

And then there are all the meta-jokes that have come into existence.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post

You know, I actually liked reading on my Franklin ebookman before it died on me, despite it's many major faults.
I liked the screen.
Sure, I had to angle it because of reflectiveness sometimes, but for me it was ok.
It is the internet forum term that is used on forums where giving karma or reputation feature is used. Karmawhore or repwhore. People who trade karma between "friends" in order to gain more of karma/reputation regardless of the original idea(not a law, just a common sense) why one should give away karma/rep. They also abuse the system by posting many meaningless posts (not necessary trolling just useless) in order to rise number of posts and have more power to give more rep/karma.
On many forums the result is usually either rep gaining/giving abilities are changed by implementing a new calculating formulas, thus leaving anyone who didn't participate in the active "trading" process forever behind, or/and removing the feature altogether because it has been misused. Another "preventative" measure that is being used is that a number of posts in flame/lounge areas of forums is not being counted (so useless posts are not added to a number of posts of a particular user). But if it happens after the system was abused it still leaves the abusers way ahead of anyone else.

I even asked Alex to remove karma from my account, so I cannot see it and noone can give karma to me but apparently it is impossible.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Jetbook got slammed not because it is LCD. It got slammed because it's only 5" and the formats it support were not good enough. Still aren't (IMHO) until they get ePub and Mobipocket out there for it. But it'll still be a 5" screen.
I think they feel they can ask so much money for it because of the dictionaries it comes with.
It is also marketed as being a portable dictionary. I think what confuses me about the jetbook is: What are they primarily marketing it as? An ebookreader or a dictionary?
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the amount of reading people do on this forum, you could have read lots of ebooks on the same LCD screen that you used to read MR. So if reading MR is not a problem, why is reading an eBook a problem? When I started really reading eBooks, I was using an LCD monitor and then LCD screen of a laptop. I got the Sony so I could be more portable. The laptop is not portable enough.
For me, the difference is that posts are very short bursts and therefore easy to handle. I cannot read long blocks of text on a computer. I just shut down and can't read it. If a post is really long, I end up skimming it because it's just too much.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I also think that the angle of the screen is part of the reason why people don't like reading on their computer - it's not comfortable for your neck.
Quote:
For me, the difference is that posts are very short bursts and therefore easy to handle. I cannot read long blocks of text on a computer. I just shut down and can't read it. If a post is really long, I end up skimming it because it's just too much.

I have the same issues ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post

I liked the screen.
Karma whore is when 3 (a few) people get together and just raise each others scores just to be silly and drive the value way up. It kind of defeats the idea of rewarding someone.

Etaco still sells the Franklin eBookman. I think they have the only stock left although you might find one on eBay. Etaco also sells the JetBook which I am led to believe is a better screen than the eBookman.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I look at it this way - if people were perfectly happy to read on LCD screens then nobody would've spent so much time and energy developing e-ink.

Personally I can't see myself ever reading on a LCD device. Maybe they'll improve the tablet computers enough but I doubt it'll happen soon.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #28
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The Netbook computers are very attractive these days
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #29
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:

Not sure about you; However, If a a website has an article that is too long, I just cut paste to Open Office along with other articles that I have found and read them on my ebook reader later in the day. It is much more relaxing on the eyes and with less neck strain.

I must confess to being converted to E-INK. The EASYNESS on the eyes, amazing battery life and portability are my reasons for preferring E-ink to LCDS....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that you yourself do own an eInk device, Nate, you have just disqualified your own opinion. Many of us here - yourself and myself included - own and use devices with both types of screen. For reading, my view is the eInk devices are superior, due to the total lack of screen flicker, lack of reflectivity, and very low power consumption. For other types of activity, LCD clearly "wins out" due to the very slow refresh rate of eInk. I wouldn't want to write a letter on an eInk screen.

It's a case of using the best tool for the task at hand. I am typing this message on a device with an LCD screen.
That.

From my perspective LCD flatly sucks for reading. I'll do it in a pinch (often grab a few pages of reading on my iPhone) but still... not even a comparison.

But I'm no purist. Something better than eInk comes out I'm there. Whatever gets the job done.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote