Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the extended warranty?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Its obvious extended warranty wouldn't benefit you as you tend to not keep electronics long enough. 10 laptops in a 16 year span if not normal for the average consumer. The ipod has been around what...6-7 years now and you have had 7.....of course extended warranty isn't for you. To make a blanket statement that extended warranties are a scam as one poster commented is careless. For example If one travels a lot, plans to keep a Kindle for a couple years, an extended warranty makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
Respectfully, that is not my own experience (You see what a tricky argument it is to base it on personal on-off experiences). I've owned about 10 laptops since 1992. Only ONE had issues after the warranty expired (used the aforementioned AMEX to get it repaired for free). My experience is similar to other electronics like iPods (my original went kaplooy weeks after the Apple warranty expired)... AMEX gave me a brand new one. The other 6 I owned never had any issues.

I would suggest that, given the Kindle's high resale value, an owner would be better off selling their machine after a year and using the proceeds + the $65 that would have been spent on the warranty and just buy a whole new machine with a whole new battery and warranty. Better yet, it might even be a whole new model!

Last edited by Ervserver; 02-23-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm not planning to bother with the extended warranty. My husband and I have never either broken a portable device or had one stop working during the first two years that we've had it. I'd rather put that money towards a really good quality, durable case.

If something tragic and unexpected does happen to my Kindle, I'm sure I'll hate the repair or replacement cost. But even then I don't seriously see myself wishing that I'd have bought the warranty. The repair cost is more expensive than the warranty, but even replacing a Kindle 2 at it's current price would cost considerably less than the money we've saved over the years by never paying for an extended warranty on new gadgets.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I own a Sony and I'm happy with it, so I didn't vote in the poll, but as a rule, I don't buy extended warranties. My reasoning is that the company prices the warranty so that they'll make money on it--which means the odds are that I won't need the warranty. I do tend to keep my electronic devices for quite a while and can't recall anytime when I wish that I had bought the extended warranty.

I do realize that for some people and under some situations the warranty makes perfect sense and is worth the extra cost.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #19
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The nerve of companies....making money WHERES THE OUTRAGE !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I will probably buy the extended warranty even though as a rule I don't. That's because with my first Kindle it stopped working 3 months after I purchased it. It had been dropped a couple of times with no apparent damage but it had been weeks since the last fall. Even though Amazon replaced it free they aren't doing so now.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
dposborne
dposborne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone 3G
I actually need to use the Extended warranty

Just bricked my Kindle 2 by tripping and throwing it into the half full bath tub. I hopped right onto Amazon about 5 minutes later and bought the warranty (good thing its only been 24 days since I purchased the device). Let's see if this warranty is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
dposborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dposborne View Post
Just bricked my Kindle 2 by tripping and throwing it into the half full bath tub. I hopped right onto Amazon about 5 minutes later and bought the warranty (good thing its only been 24 days since I purchased the device). Let's see if this warranty is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Ack!!

Did you try letting it dry out for 24-48 hours? I know that sometimes works for electronic devices...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #23
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dposborne View Post
Wow. I hope your account name isn't David Osborne and that Amazon doesn't read these threads. Wolf in sheeps clothing? Sounds like you're the wolf here. Not that I really think that was an appropriate metaphor either applied to Amazon or to you.. but you get what I'm saying.

I generally don't go for the extended warranty - from what I've read, most device failures happen within the first three months, and that failures within the second year are unlikely with solid state devices. But considering the price and the potential for this device to break because I use it in situations that are risky (i.e. on the beach, on the subway, etc) $32 a year for accidental damage insurance doesn't really seem that unreasonable. I might actually go for it.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
klrodrigues
klrodrigues began at the beginning.

I voted yes... I got the ext warranty.. with 3 kids (13, 7 & 2) I didn't want to take any chances.
klrodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
mrs_pooky
mrs_pooky began at the beginning.

Having two children under three years old, one of whom loves anything with buttons, I thought it only made sense to err on the side of caution and get the warranty.

D
mrs_pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
Old Man
Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

After reading this thread I have decided to purchase the extended warranty for my K2. I too treat it more like a paperback, trips to the beach, days at the park, plus I tend to be a little clumsy and occasionally drop things. Also young grandchildren who like to explore. So 5 days before my 30 day decision point I bought. Hopefully I will never need it but for $32.50 a year it is worth it to me.
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

I should have bought the warranty what with my propensity for spilling drinks on electronic devices (my ancient iBook has survived lemonade, coffee, and beer this year alone) but sadly my husband ordered my Kindle as a birthday present and didn't think to get the warranty until the 30 day period was up. Guess I'm taking my chances with this one.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #28
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Its obvious extended warranty wouldn't benefit you as you tend to not keep electronics long enough. 10 laptops in a 16 year span if not normal for the average consumer. The ipod has been around what...6-7 years now and you have had 7.....of course extended warranty isn't for you. To make a blanket statement that extended warranties are a scam as one poster commented is careless. For example If one travels a lot, plans to keep a Kindle for a couple years, an extended warranty makes perfect sense.
Not really. I'm on a plane nearly every week & have yet to break a laptop, or my iTouch, or my pocket PC, so I think the Kindle is safe. Of course now that I have said this, the universe will be conspiring against me.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #29
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I do not have the K2 but if I were to buy one new I'd probably purchase the warranty. As a rule I do not purchase warranties, they're well-known to be in favour of "the house," to use a gambling term, meaning they're an advantage to the seller not the buyer.

But, it's also a portable device and I have small children who are very curious about the Kindle (or anything expensive and electronic), and it gets tossed around since I carry it places.

As it stands I intend to make my nearly-new (bought used) K1 last about 3 years. I doubt it'll make it but I'm going to try.

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
I bought the warranty

I think the extended warranty is a great idea. It gives me peace of mind.

It's like that story my English teacher told me back in highschool, about two people. One had a very expensive, perfectly maintained car, and it was not a pleasure to ride in for very long since the owner was always like "Don't touch!" Then there's the other person, with a ratty old truck, with the seats torn and all the license in the world to touch and eat in it, etc. And basically, the person had more fun riding in the truck because of the freedom to really *use* what you own, rather than keep it on a shelf to just be looked at.

Basically, I want to really *use* my Kindle 2, and though of course I will be gentle with it, and be mindful of its delicate nature, I'm still going to be taking it with me everywhere and exposing it to all the gritty reality of life. With the extended warranty, I can feel a whole lot better about not treating it like an egg about to crack. Even so, I'm sure its durability will stand up and I'll never need to use the warranty. But just in case... Two years is a long time.

Last edited by girlzilla; 04-03-2009 at 09:33 AM.
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote