Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm rather curious as to where you got a copy of Chef Maurice and the Rather Fishy Tale in Microsoft Word format?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Heck; I can't find it in any format lol! The author's website claims if you subscribe to her mailing list, you get a free download, but the link to MailChimp fails. Both her Facebook author's page and personal page have had no updates for several years (2015 I think).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Heck; I can't find it in any format lol! The author's website claims if you subscribe to her mailing list, you get a free download, but the link to MailChimp fails. Both her Facebook author's page and personal page have had no updates for several years (2015 I think).

That's where I got it from but that was back in 2015. The download was available in (if I am remembering correctly) epub and mobi formats. At one point, it was also available on Amazon but again that was years back.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:18 AM   #19
Clio
Enthusiast
Clio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Libra2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm rather curious as to where you got a copy of Chef Maurice and the Rather Fishy Tale in Microsoft Word format?
Hello,

I got it from the author's website several years ago, when it was available there. It was available in several formats, and I got it in pdf form, because back then I was so new to ebooks that I didn't realize a different format would probably have been better.

Now that I know a little bit more, I came back to it and copied the text from the pdf into a blank Word document, because I keep reading posts on here about how pdf is not a good format to convert from. Once in a Word document, it worked reasonably well, except for the justification, which is now fixed, thanks to help from this forum.

Last edited by Clio; 08-16-2022 at 03:22 AM.
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:21 AM   #20
Clio
Enthusiast
Clio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Libra2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Yes, I noticed that that link seems to no longer be working. And she hasn't published any more books in quite a while.
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2022, 04:49 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When TOR started giving away eBooks, they did it in PDF. Enough people complained and they switched to Mobi. Now they give away ePub, KF8, & Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:25 PM   #22
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@Clio If you are using the Calibre editor...
Locate a 'misbehaving' paragraph: hold the control key down and click on 'Style= '
That should jump you to the CSS controlling that P
Text-align: is what you are looking for.

Note CSS classes can inherit from a outer block. So the alignment might be controlled by a surrounding <div> or even the <body>
I am interested in this behavior in the editor, but cannot reproduce it. Should the cursor be in the file preview panel or the edit panel? When you hold down the control key, where is 'Style= ' to click on?

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
I am interested in this behavior in the editor, but cannot reproduce it. Should the cursor be in the file preview panel or the edit panel? When you hold down the control key, where is 'Style= ' to click on?

Keith
It in the code section. But the problem is that when you see Style= in there, that's not part of the CSS. That's CSS code in the HTML code. That's bad form. Whatever is in Style= should not be there and should be in the CSS. So the control key/click will not take you to the CSS file.

Can you post here what it is you are seeing?
Old 08-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #24
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post

Keith
That initial instruction about clicking on "style=" was probably a mistake, because as JSWolf says, that's poor usage. It should be "class=". Here is an example.

Here is a sentence in the code/editing section:

Code:
<p class="calibre_8">Inside the cab the seats were patched and smelt of overheated dog.</p>
If you ctrl-click on the <p class="calibre_8"> bit, it should take you into the css file at "calibre_8, like this:

Code:
.calibre_8 {
  display: block;
  font-size: 1em;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0.1em;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: left;
  text-indent: 2em;
}
Where you can find the text-align value for that class.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here is an example of poor code. The text indent has two problems. It's in the HTML and it's 5%. It should be between 1em and 1.5em and it should be in the para class in the CSS.

Code:
<p class="para" style="text-indent:5%;">Vin watched the downy flakes drift through the air. Leisurely. Careless. Free. The puffs of soot fell like black snowflakes, descending upon the dark city of Luthadel. They drifted in corners, blowing in the breeze and curling in tiny whirlwinds over the cobblestones. They seemed so uncaring. What would that be like?</p>
Code:
.para {
  display: block;
  margin-top: 0%;
  margin-bottom: 0%;
}
Old 08-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My bad s/b Class=
What was I thinking
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #27
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My bad s/b Class=
What was I thinking
I tried this several ways, and finally got it to work. Frequently, I read something very literally, and couldn't get this to work controlkey/clicking on class=

For anyone else interested, this is what is required.

In the code section, with a class="something", controlkey/click on something to go to that class within the .css file containing that class.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote