Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Hey Harry, another option that works great, if there is an OfficeMax near you, they sell a zippered graphing calculator case for pretty cheap that takes just a bit of modification to be an excellent 505 case.

I used an Xacto knife to cut the stitching holding the calculator pocket on and the stitching on the inside of the back cover near the spine. Then you just slide the stock Reader back cover into the now opened slot and you have a nice zip case.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have had my cover with light wedge since late September. I leave it on. I throw my PRS505 into my backpack and toss it in the Jeep and take it to work with me everyday. I live on a gravel road, so dust is everywhere in my world; I haven't taken any special care and have yet to see any damage from the unit to my PRS505. The light-wedge never even comes into contact with the screen of the 505, the lip sits on the edge of the screen of the 505 and doesn't physically touch the screen...
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe your wedge is missing the rubber-like bump stops nearest the spine? When I examine mine there is definitely a gap between the screens and it would take monster debris to touch both surfaces at the same time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Nope, the little rubber feet are on there but they do not extend as far as the insert part of the lens.

I went to the Sony Style store today and spoke with a person there who was familiar with this particular problem. I was told that there is nothing they can do in store. I would need to send the cover and Reader to Sony for inspection and possible repair or replacement. He was very helpful in trying to find anything they could do for me. It boils down to the fact that the Reader works fine but I am very disappointed at how the light is working (or not working) with it. I will be taking his advice and trying to return the cover to the store at which I purchased it explaining that the product they sold damaged my expensive device. I am not expecting to get back the cash I paid as it has been well over the 30 day return policy but I hope to at least get a gift card and they can return this messed-up item to Sony for a credit.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
deloscampos
deloscampos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't know for yours but on my PRS-505, the rubber pads located near the spine seem a bit too high and don't actually touch anything when the plexiglas screen is in position. The plexiglas screen only touches the right edge of the reader's screen.

Therefore, the plexigas screen doesn't fall flat on the 505's screen and it creates a little gap between the plexiglas and the reader's screen on the left part of the screen.
As the plexigas screen is frosted on the lower side to diffuse the light on the reader's screen, the pages are very readable on the right side but slightly blurried on the left part.

Do you have the same problem on yours?

Sébastien.
deloscampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
That happens to me if I do not fold the spine completely flat. If I'm holding the book to read it with the light on, I tend to bend the cover slightly beyond 180 degrees (not forcing the spine, just pulling it to the left) to get an even blur.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #22
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
I have a small mark on my screen from the light wedge too

After reading this post I examined my reader and there is a small
mark on the screen and on the plastic light wedge, both in the same place
so I know the mark on the screen came from the lighted plastic piece.
I cleaned both the screen and the cover and I can't get this "mark" to come off either one. Luckily it's only one very small mark, but now I took my reader
out of the lighted cover and went back to the cover that came with it.
I am going to buy a clip on light and just use that because that's probably easier that switching back and forth between the covers.

I really did like the cover but now I'm worried about getting additional "marks"
on the screen.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm not in love with the light cover either. You may already know how poor my eyesight is, so clarity and light were necessary.

I don't believe the rubber feet on the light wedge part of the cover are effective bumpers. The cover flapped over with a loud scary bang against the screen, again and again. I've ended up taping it snug against the screen to avoid accidentally shattering the glass. Lovely.

Also, the light cover is much less comfortable to my hand than the original cover. I've been considering returning it, but really do need a lighted screen.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Hmmm are we talking about the Sony "lightwedge" case? Looking at mine very carefully shows that the wedge doesn't even touch the screen. It rests on top of the reader case itself.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Hmmm are we talking about the Sony "lightwedge" case? Looking at mine very carefully shows that the wedge doesn't even touch the screen. It rests on top of the reader case itself.
I'm starting to think some might be defective.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
Yes mine is the Sony lighted cover. And I was enjoying it until I read about other screens being damaged and did a very close inspection of my screen. On the right side, there is one spot on both the screen and the plastic that has a mark. Looks like you could wipe it off but you can't. And believe me, I have tried. It is there for good on both the lighted plastic and the screen. It's so tiny that I can live with it, but I stopped using the lighted book cover because I'm afraid of further damage.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #27
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Took my messed-up cover back to Target today and they returned it, no questions asked. Cash back. I will now avoid anything that lays on the screen, period.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
kkoch4
kkoch4 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
glad to see ya got a resolution there Fish. Sorry we couldn't do more for ya at the store.
kkoch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #29
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoch4 View Post
glad to see ya got a resolution there Fish. Sorry we couldn't do more for ya at the store.
Thanks for what you could do. You got the best resolution possible. I didn't think I would be able to return it.

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #30
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
I just received my SONY cover with light yesterday and being a paranoid about these things I naturally found this thread.

I've been keeping the foam cover around the light piece and plan on doing it as long as that foam piece is intact (or not lost). Even then, I'll find a replacement. I wont be using the light cover most of the time, but I'd like to keep my reader in it while carrying it in my laptop case, since it provides extra protection for the screen. It feels more solid compared to the original case, and it lays extra protection on the screen (given that something in between prevents both damaging each other).
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote