Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As part of my import to calibre process, I import to an Intake library where I update the metadata and covers, check the epub structures, and fix any errors. Once that process is finished, I run Modify ePub to add the updated covers and metadata to the files and remove some crud before moving them to my Main library.
1) What's the purpose of the staging Intake library? Why not do that work in the main library?

2) Question for anyone, but what does Calibre's Embed Metadata button do? Compared to Modify ePub.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
1) What's the purpose of the staging Intake library? Why not do that work in the main library?
Because any book in the Intake library is in progress. It makes it simpler for me to have a separate library for them. What can I say except that it works for me.

Quote:
2) Question for anyone, but what does Calibre's Embed Metadata button do? Compared to Modify ePub.
Embed Metadata updates the metadata in the file. You can take a look at Modify ePub's options when you click on it to see how much more it can do. I've attached a screenshot of the options here. The only other customization it has is if you want to be prompted to save the modified epubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modify ePub options.png
Views:	151
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	183441  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2020, 02:00 AM   #18
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still not understanding what the difference is between what Modify ePub does versus Embed Metadata with respect to metadata. I always run Modify ePub when I'm done cleaning up a book but I'd forgotten about Calibre's Embed Metadata and was wondering if it does less or more than Modify ePub with respect to the metadata.

Last edited by hobnail; 11-17-2020 at 02:08 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:56 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have 3 ' main' libraries - Books, Journals and Media

I have columns in my Intake library that are not in my 'main' libraries, and vice-versa.

Quote:
Modify ePUB is what it says - a plugin that modifies EPUBS,

Embed Metadata will embed the library metadata into any ebook format that supports embedded metadata - PDFs, MOBI, AZW3, DOCXs etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:29 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My Intake is the 'dirty metadata' library.

You know, those books with 40 bazillion tags:
with every possible variant of Science Fiction or Magic.

Tags Loaded with (fans of ) Author names (will like). Anything these folk think will cause THEIR book to come up in a search.

Or the Publisher cant even use a consistent name: We are talking about you Baen Publishing Enterprises (I think my older dead tree books were more consistent)
When you delete a Tag, the DB entry remains, it is just flagged as dead until you run the maintenance (which disturbs the Last_modified and all the OPF backup dates
So I like these to never migrate to the Main Libraries until that cruft has been purged.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #21
Freakeao
Connoisseur
Freakeao began at the beginning.

Can you run embed metadata or update epub and keep file timestamps the same?

I'd like to update some files, but don't want them popping up as newly added to the library in calibre-web or COPS.
Freakeao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakeao View Post
Can you run embed metadata or update epub and keep file timestamps the same?

I'd like to update some files, but don't want them popping up as newly added to the library in calibre-web or COPS.
No

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #23
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As mentioned in my previous message, calibre will insert the metadata into an epub as part of a Send to device or Save to disk operation. The copy in the library is not modified, the copy sent to the device or written to disk is.
It also inserts the metadata when you convert a book. You can even convert from EPUB to EPUB if you want to write the metadata to the book file.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, location, metadata, stored