Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't see it's a problem that companies don't garantee downloads after a certain time. You buy the book, you download it, and then it's your responsability to keep a copy somewhere (and I agree, a DRM-free copy is what you REALLY need). It really seems fair enough to me!
The problem is that when your reader breaks and have to be replaced (like my Cybook did after a year) it does not matter that I have saved a copy since it has DRM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Just got off the phone with Amazon. They confirmed that in the unlikely event that a publisher pulled a book from circulation, it would also be removed from purchasers' media libraries.

So .... definitely, keep a back up of all purchases.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't see it's a problem that companies don't garantee downloads after a certain time. You buy the book, you download it, and then it's your responsability to keep a copy somewhere (and I agree, a DRM-free copy is what you REALLY need). It really seems fair enough to me!
True, but as mentioned earlier, its only really possible to have working backup copied of DRM free books.

You can backup DRM'd books all you want, but unless the seller is around to authenticate your newer devices in the future, as required by most DRM systems , you may as well not back them up as they are just occupying space.

Its this Imbalance that convinced Me (and other users) to only but DRM's books whose DRM has been cracked, to protect our rights and investment.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, I do not buy DRM books since I do not read books directly but can wait 5 year to read a book I have bought. But people here have argued that big companies like Mobipocket will not stop selling Ebooks so in this case we still have the problem with books disappearing.

It is to much trouble to convert a book do a drm free book so I use other alternatives...
I wish I had your patience, but I really can't wait for an unknown number of years until a book comes out in DRM free format, if ever.

Still, Buying books in Mobi and eReader is easy, and usually just takes about 30 to 45 seconds per book to Strip off the DRM. My whole process, of Stripping and converting into various formats (DRM Free Mobi, LRF, HTML) usually just takes a couple of minutes, and most of it is just spent typing in the names.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I wish I had your patience, but I really can't wait for an unknown number of years until a book comes out in DRM free format, if ever.

Still, Buying books in Mobi and eReader is easy, and usually just takes about 30 to 45 seconds per book to Strip off the DRM. My whole process, of Stripping and converting into various formats (DRM Free Mobi, LRF, HTML) usually just takes a couple of minutes, and most of it is just spent typing in the names.
The problem is more to update the DRM-removing programs when things change.

I still by a lot of paper books and my Cybook is mostly used to re-read books I own in paper versions and whose e-versions I have aquired in an alternative way.

And to my dismay I have read some paper books recently and noticed that I still find it much nicer and a better experience to read a paper book then reading a book on my Cybook. Really strange. I wonder if I have to test another reader to see if it is a problem with the ergonomics...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Don't panic! This has happened to me with BoB a couple of times. Apparently one of the sites they link through to (I think it's the Mobipocket site) has a tendency to update their database without telling BoB, and all the links disappear until they're updated. If you write to BoB and tell them what's missing, they should be able to reinstate the books in your bookshelf.

But stripping off the DRM and making your own backup does seem like a sensible Plan B for future use.
Yup, you're right - they answered back and asked for the title AND author and they'd fix the link and put it back in my bookshelf.

And to the other suggestions, well, of course!

However, ALL my books - original, cracked, etc. - are saved on the same drive. So if I lose that drive, I lose them ALL.

That is being remedied even as I type.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote