Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. I tend to form my opinions based on how something performs for me ... not so much on what other people have to say ... especially if it is out of date.
I guess that makes you someone who will let Vista bit you in the a** before you learn that it is a bad product.

I, on the other hand, can learn from other's mistakes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I guess that makes you someone who will let Vista bit you in the a** before you learn that it is a bad product.

I, on the other hand, can learn from other's mistakes.

Major assumption there, Nate. Just because something bit someone else in the ass doesn't mean it's going to bite me. As mentioned (oh, so many times), I'm willing to listen to someone else's opinion .... but I prefer to form my own based on my own experience.

Vista hasn't bit me in the ass yet, and it's been a while since I switched .... I promise I'll let you know if it ever does, but really I will decide for myself if it is a "bad product."

You know ... it's off topic a bit, but you remind me of all the people who told me that my dogs would grow up to be vicious (so much so that the insurance companies refused to insure the house because my mix of vicious breeds was just too dangerous to insure). They are four years old now and the most adorable, loving, non-vicious dogs on the planet. I appreciate that the rest of the world has an opinion about the breeds .... but, again, I prefer to go with my experience. That's just me.

Even if I respect someone else's opinion ... that doesn't mean that I will blindly follow it. That's probably one of the reasons I ended up being a Buddhist come to think of it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You know ... it's off topic a bit, but you remind me of all the people who told me that my dogs would grow up to be vicious (so much so that the insurance companies refused to insure the house because my mix of vicious breeds was just too dangerous to insure). They are four years old now and the most adorable, loving, non-vicious dogs on the planet. I appreciate that the rest of the world has an opinion about the breeds .... but, again, I prefer to go with my experience. That's just me.
Your dogs are Akita-Chow-Something mixes, right? The insurance company is right. Those breeds are biters. Statistically speaking (which is how the insurance company looks at it), those dogs have too high a risk of biting someone. You lucked out, and you are in a very small minority.

BTW, your previous post is phrased in such a way that suggests you dismissed the link I provided without bothering to read it. When I said Vista was a resource hog, that it was not an opinion but a fact (when compared to XP). In the link I provided, the author discusses the facts of how Vista functions. He did not provide opinions; he provided verifiable data.

To say you like Vista after reading that article is like saying you like DRM. It makes me wonder if you actually read the article, or if understood what you read. (And I know you are smart enough to understand it.)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Major assumption there, Nate. Just because something bit someone else in the ass doesn't mean it's going to bite me. As mentioned (oh, so many times), I'm willing to listen to someone else's opinion .... but I prefer to form my own based on my own experience.

Vista hasn't bit me in the ass yet, and it's been a while since I switched .... I promise I'll let you know if it ever does, but really I will decide for myself if it is a "bad product."

Even if I respect someone else's opinion ... that doesn't mean that I will blindly follow it. That's probably one of the reasons I ended up being a Buddhist come to think of it.
Yeah, but following that logic you'd happily consume a glass full of strychnine just because it never killed you previously. Sometimes when there is overwhelming evidence you just tend to trust other people on a subject. Like how one shouldn't watch a Uwe Boll directed movie.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Yeah, but following that logic you'd happily consume a glass full of strychnine just because it never killed you previously. Sometimes when there is overwhelming evidence you just tend to trust other people on a subject. Like how one shouldn't watch a Uwe Boll directed movie.

-MJ
There is a big (BIG) difference between "opinion" and "evidence" ... if you don't know that, then you have a lot to learn in life.

If it is your "opinion" that there is a problem with Vista, I do not have to accept your opinion. If there is unbiased evidence, that is repeatable in all circumstances, then that is something completely different.

You must be awfully young and inexperienced not to understand the distinction between the two.
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Vista question I'd like someone to answer please. In XP, I can access Stereo Mix (or What U Hear if you have a Creative Labs sound card) very easily. How do you do so in Vista? This has to do with the sound settings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Your dogs are Akita-Chow-Something mixes, right? The insurance company is right. Those breeds are biters. Statistically speaking (which is how the insurance company looks at it), those dogs have too high a risk of biting someone. You lucked out, and you are in a very small minority.

BTW, your previous post is phrased in such a way that suggests you dismissed the link I provided without bothering to read it. When I said Vista was a resource hog, that it was not an opinion but a fact (when compared to XP). In the link I provided, the author discusses the facts of how Vista functions. He did not provide opinions; he provided verifiable data.

To say you like Vista after reading that article is like saying you like DRM. It makes me wonder if you actually read the article, or if understood what you read. (And I know you are smart enough to understand it.)

Nate, I read the article. All I am saying is that my experience with Vista causes me to LIKE Vista. You don't like it ... FINE .... keep right on not liking it. I have no problem with your opinion, I simply do not share it. I also do not share the opinion of the author of the article, simply because, if there are problems, they are not apparent to me.

And, yes, I may be in the minority in that I am not having problems with Vista. Just like I am not having problems with my dogs biting (me or anyone else). However, my own experiences are what form MY opinions. I am also willing to consider irrefutable evidence (that is evidence that has been proved to be true under all circumstances) in forming my own beliefs about things. However, please note that beliefs and opinions are not something I consider to be the same.

In your opinion, Vista is awful. In my opinion it is not. Just because someone tells me something is true does not mean that it is. Good grief ... trying to force your opinions on others as the absolute truth is something I simply do not get. I have run into a lot of it here in Texas, but I will honestly never understand it. My mind just doesn't work that way.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #23
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Wow, those are some nice assumptions and insults. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. Hope Vista does work out for you.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Wow, those are some nice assumptions and insults. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. Hope Vista does work out for you.

-MJ
I don't recall insulting you. So, you DO understand the difference between evidence, fact and opinion?? Because if you do, then your post about me and my supposedly not understanding the dangers of poison was really highly insulting. So, shame on you.

And, as I already said .... Vista is working just fine and dandy for me so far. That's my point, actually.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
At add an Opinion,

Nate, While I agree that Vista is a system Hog when you compare it to XP, but then again XP looked like a hog on my old 98SE system. Any major change in architecture has bought about a increase in the required resources. Even newer builds of Ubuntu require a certain amount of resources to run correctly.

On a recent reasonably powerful system, Vista runs well, and post SP1 is less annoying and has some really nice features which I like. Running it on a older machine or a new underpowered one is a recipe for disaster, and I wish Microsoft had not gone that route.

While My current system runs XP, as Vista runs poorly on it, I have no doubt that my next system in the near future will run Vista, and I'll enjoy it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
At add an Opinion,

Nate, While I agree that Vista is a system Hog when you compare it to XP, but then again XP looked like a hog on my old 98SE system. Any major change in architecture has bought about a increase in the required resources. Even newer builds of Ubuntu require a certain amount of resources to run correctly.
I do know this. It's why I kept using Windows ME until 2005.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
There is a big (BIG) difference between "opinion" and "evidence" ... if you don't know that, then you have a lot to learn in life.

If it is your "opinion" that there is a problem with Vista, I do not have to accept your opinion. If there is unbiased evidence, that is repeatable in all circumstances, then that is something completely different.

You must be awfully young and inexperienced not to understand the distinction between the two.
You have blown off the observations of much of the IT industry as opinion. Do _you_ know the difference between opinion and observation?

And mjh is right. That last sentence is rude.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
You have blown off the observations of much of the IT industry as opinion. Do _you_ know the difference between opinion and observation?

And mjh is right. That last sentence is rude.
Absolutely, I know the difference between "observation" and "opinion." Well enough to know that my observations are different from theirs. So, am I supposed to ignore my own observations in respect of theirs??

Really??

And, mjh's entire post was rude. So, I was rude right back at mjh. Rudeness begets more of the same. It's a fairly basic fact of life.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Absolutely, I know the difference between "observation" and "opinion." Well enough to know that my observations are different from theirs. So, am I supposed to ignore my own observations in respect of theirs??

Really??

And, mjh's entire post was rude. So, I was rude right back at mjh. Rudeness begets more of the same. It's a fairly basic fact of life.
"But, Teacher, he hit me first!"

And besides, you just proved the point of the joke he made.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
"But, Teacher, he hit me first!"

And besides, you just proved the point of the joke he made.
Really?? I proved the point of the "joke" he made?? Because my observations are that Vista is fine, that somehow means that knowing that poisons are poisons (from a great deal of observation about that fact in hospitals mostly ... ever see someone die from strychnine? Not a nice thing to see) means that I am so stupid I have to test them out for myself?? If that's not rude, then please you tell me what is. That wasn't a "joke" it was rather mean, and quite ignorant of him or her ... or it.

And, yes .... if someone hits me .... I hit back. You might as well know that. If someone wants to start a fight .... I'll sure as hell finish it for them.