Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What criminals?
It's a reference to the fact that online file-storage systems like RapidShare, MegaUpload, FileFactory, etc. are heavily used by pirate communities of all flavours. He's exaggerating a bit, though -- RapidShare in particular actually has a fairly substantial usage by small companies (particularly in the photography and video editing fields), and an entire featureset for pay-per-megabyte bandwidth used almost entirely by legitimate businesses. I've also seen it (very rarely) used to post compiled unofficial branches from Free Software projects and scientific datasets.

That said, if you get a Rapidshare link from some place that is *not* obviously a legitimate business or public project (i.e. you weren't given a chance to actually *buy* something there and it isn't an Open Source/Free Software/Academic project), odds are quite good that there's a violation of copyright involved somewhere. If the material being downloaded is known to be for sale elsewhere (i.e. most books you would have heard of), the probability approaches 100%.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIK, copyright violation is not considered a "crime" in most cases.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
I can't speak for other countries, but my understanding of U.S. law is that despite the near-complete lack of prosecution, the threshold for criminal infringement under Federal law is low enough to make it very common.

See U.S.C. 17.5.506, particularly A.1.C. By my reading, public distribution via Rapidshare instantly attaches in any case where the uploader *should have known* (whether or not he did know) that the work was commercial.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Well said Igorsk!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"RapidShare" should immediately raise a red flag. It's a site used almost exclusively by criminals.
hey! that's a bit heavy - while I agree its an unfortunate situation that a lot of copyright material does get on places like rapid share there are legit reasons for using it too. Its useful posting stuff like (legal) bioses and other technical files we share amongst many people etc or to share large files that you cant email to each other.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I thought canadians are allowed to upload, but not download,while people from the US are not allowed to upload copyright material, but can download it (seeing they are unaware that it is copyrighted; or something...)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote