Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 AM   #16
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
All ereaders are fragile. I've had over a dozen and only ever broke one when it was dropped. If you like the H20 get another one but a) get a good solid case and b) don't buy it from Kobo. I tried to buy a GLO HD from Kobo, the one they sent me was faulty, it was a nightmare getting return instructions and the whole transaction from order to refund took over a month. They are truly awful.
I have recently bought a GLO HD. I have had no issues with it, but I have also heard about Kobo Customer service. I bought mine at Amazon UK
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I have recently bought a GLO HD. I have had no issues with it, but I have also heard about Kobo Customer service. I bought mine at Amazon UK
I got mine from Argos in the end. It cost full price (whereas Kobo had £20 off) but worth it for the lack of stress alone. I'd never order from Kobo again unless they were giving ereaders away free, and even then I'd have to think twice)
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've purchased several Kobo readers, most recently 2 Glo HDs, and have never had a problem with any of them. I've never purchased direct from Kobo though. I was able to purchase from local bookstores, and more recently I ordered from Chapters in Canada for the Glo HDs. Chapters will ship to the US and the total price turns out less than ordering from Kobo.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the builder View Post
Any time I've bought wine glasses there's been stickers all over the box saying "FRAGILE!". The same can't be said for the Kobo packaging or user guides. Now I know they're as fragile as wine glasses I'd treat them as such - but a reasonable consumer, based on the company's info, would assume they'd be similar in durability to a laptop or phone or tablet, none of which I've ever broken, despite not being in a cover, nor being treated as carefully as the Kobo.
I think e-ink ereaders are as durable as laptops or phones or tablets. Maybe more so. I did drop a tablet and break the screen once. I've dropped ereaders a time or two and they've held up. I think all electronics, and especially anything with a screen, is fairly fragile, but only that. I wouldn't say they were dellicate.

Interesting that the new Motorola phone screen is said to be guaranteed unbreakable. One reviewer last week said he tested his review copy by running it over with a car. The phone was destroyed but the screen was fine. Maybe that can happen with e-ink someday too. It would be nice.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Paperwhite Signature
I consider most e-readers to be as durable as phones and maybe most tablets. Probably more durable because ereaders are usually lighter for their size and hence should survive drops better. But I think we can probably agree that most people would have the expectation that if they dropped their device it could very well break.

As mentioned previously, it's the bending and twisting forces that you really have to look out for, and that most cases won't protect against as well. I can see this happening in a tightly packed backpack for sure.

That said, I have been daily carrying my ereaders around in backpacks and satchels for around nine years now (since the Sony PRS-505 first came out), each one for multiple years at a time with no case, and never had a crack. Scuffs and dented corners yes, but no crack.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #21
finiderire
finiderire began at the beginning.

Device: Booken Cybook Orizon
Smile

Hi Bob the builder,
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a brand and model that is open-source and flexible? Preferably robust too! All I want is an e-reader. I don't particularly care if it's touchscreen, has internet access, can cook me an egg or whatever.

I just want something I can read ebooks on (especially open-source ones), that doesn't strain my eyes and is preferably reasonably robust. Waterproof would be great, but I realise that's probably not available
My advice ? Surrender. Buy a cheap e-book reader and prepare to replace it often.

a+, =)
-=Finiderire=-

P.S. please people who answer I think we don't care with your experience we just want an answer to one simple question.

P.S.2 please people stop telling electronic is fragile. There is electronic in rockets, submarines, planes etc. The only reason your home electronic devices are fragile is the industry needing you to replace them often.
finiderire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I recently posted about a Kobo H20 that died after its screen cracked. And noted that nowhere in the user guide or anywhere on the website is there any indication of how fragile the device is - which after reading discussions on this site, found out that most e-readers are quite fragile. And about the frustrations of Kobo customer service.

I then - stupidly - decided to buy another Kobo H20, because I love the device (apart obviously from its fragility). I then - stupidly - ordered one off the Kobo website, which brought me to another level of brain-fart.

In a world of outsourced customer service that is frustrating and unresponsive, Kobo stands tall. It truly is amazingly bad. I got online feedback that my address was invalid (I'll spare readers the trivial details). The online responses I got were slow and nonsensical. There is no way to track discussions, promised transcripts of online chats and phone calls didn't come, you can't access your order or shipping details online. The phone discussions were as bad (the staff I spoke to were polite, but obviously untrained and unable to provide much meaningful information), worsened by the amazing fact that they are unable to access their order or shipping database to simply check on the status of an order.

After a week of back and forth and multiple attempts to cancel my order, I finally have confirmation that it's cancelled and refunded. But will launch a disputed transaction with my bank, as experience would suggest the refund will not go smoothly.

So, after a few stupid decisions, I don't think I can go back to Kobo, they are that sh*t. Pity the actual devices are great to use when they don't break. I'm not even sure that I can be bothered going back to an e-reader, but ...

Can anyone recommend a brand and model that is open-source and flexible? Preferably robust too! All I want is an e-reader. I don't particularly care if it's touchscreen, has internet access, can cook me an egg or whatever.

I just want something I can read ebooks on (especially open-source ones), that doesn't strain my eyes and is preferably reasonably robust. Waterproof would be great, but I realise that's probably not available except for Kobo.
All eInk Readers under 13.3" use a glass screen. So all are just as fragile. I still highly recommend the H2O. There is no open source Reader. The best you'll get is a Android based Reader where you can install apps. But the H2O is very flexible and works well.

Because you did not research eInk well enough is not Kobo's fault. It's just the way the screens are made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:12 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by finiderire View Post
My advice ? Surrender. Buy a cheap e-book reader and prepare to replace it often.
Or buy what you want, and look after it. I've not had to replace an ereader yet, and I'm in no way the only one.

Quote:
P.S.2 please people stop telling electronic is fragile. There is electronic in rockets, submarines, planes etc. The only reason your home electronic devices are fragile is the industry needing you to replace them often.
The electronics in ereaders are not particularly fragile. The thin glass display substrate is.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Or buy what you want, and look after it. I've not had to replace an ereader yet, and I'm in no way the only one.
Nope, I'm right there with you. Even my old Sony 505 is still going strong, although I don't use it anymore (it went to my young nephew who hasn't managed to break it either).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 AM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, I'm right there with you. Even my old Sony 505 is still going strong, although I don't use it anymore (it went to my young nephew who hasn't managed to break it either).
+1.

I've had to replace my readers now and again, but none through breakage. Left a Kindle DXG in an absolutely gorgeous (and rather expensive; you could buy a Basic Kindle + cover for what the thing cost) Oberon cover on the train once. That one still hurts
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #26
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have started with Kindle PW 1st gen, then to Nook ST (without light) before shifting to the present H2O. The screen and illumination of H2O are far superior than the above devices. I am very happy with H2O and planning on sticking to it.

I am also using a good cover with a rigid front cover for the H2O.

The H2O has a recess all around the screen on the bezel. If we cut a soft rubber/sponge sheet to exact size of the screen and stick it on the inside of the front cover, will it provide adequate protection to the screen when the cover is closed? Just an idea!

Last edited by rraod; 07-15-2016 at 05:58 AM.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #27
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Double post, sorry. Deleted

Last edited by svenlind; 07-15-2016 at 05:27 AM.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #28
Bob the builder
Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because you did not research eInk well enough is not Kobo's fault. It's just the way the screens are made.
That is just plain stupid. Unless you accept that companies are naturally deceptive and you're OK with that...

I don't. They have an obligation to fairly tell you what you are buying and what it's expected performance qualities are. I'll say it again - I found NOTHING anywhere where Kobo describes the limitation of its construction methods and the dangers of easily damaging their devices.
Bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Bob the builder
Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.Bob the builder got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Thank-you! No matter how many times I've said that Kobo says NOTHING about the supposedly well-known fragility of their screens' substrate, people are still saying it's the buyer's fault for not knowing about it!
Bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That is just plain stupid. Unless you accept that companies are naturally deceptive and you're OK with that...

I don't. They have an obligation to fairly tell you what you are buying and what it's expected performance qualities are. I'll say it again - I found NOTHING anywhere where Kobo describes the limitation of its construction methods and the dangers of easily damaging their devices.
Then you won't be buying any eInk Reader from any company. NONE of them (sized under 13.3") says that they screen's substraight is glass. It's not just Kobo that doesn't say. It's EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Jumping all over Kobo for this is wrong. You won't find a single company to tell you this. You may as well jump over every company that makes an eInk Reader as they all use glass backed screens and they do not advertise that the screens are fragile.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, non-kobo, open source, robust