Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp2013mobile View Post
I had to use the wireless connect option to get a connection but some 265 titles were left out.
I answered this (I thought) but my answer disappeared.

My guess is that you uninstalled then reinstalled CC. This will erase CC's database and lose the correspondence between books on the device and books in Calibre.

Are the missing titles shown in CC and in calibre's device view? If so then right-click on a title in calibre, choose "Match book to library", and pick the right book.

If something else is happening then you need to provide more information.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur
jayp2013mobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
I have tried several approaches without inducing any change in my situation : disabling my anti-virus ; uninstalling 2.52.0 Calibre and trying 2.45.0.
I can only obtain a response on my desktop Calibre interface by opting for the wireless connection but it "skips" many titles I have recently sent from Calibre to my Kindle. I may have to resend them manually and then reassign them to the appropriate collections.
jayp2013mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

Your suggestion "right-click on a title in calibre, choose "Match book to library", and pick the right book." does not bring up any "Match book to library" option. Am I missing something ?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your suggestion "right-click on a title in calibre, choose "Match book to library", and pick the right book." does not bring up any "Match book to library" option. Am I missing something ?
Your tablet must be connected to calibre using the wireless device. When it is connected, in calibre a Device icon will appear on the toolbar. Select that device view, not the library view. Assuming I understand what you are saying, some books should be missing the "In Library" mark. Right click on one of those books and select "Match book to library".
Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Match Book To Library is only available in Device View.

EDIT: Need to refresh the page more often...

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-01-2016 at 04:38 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #21
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

Let try a recap. I used to be able to simply connect my Kindle unit to my desktop computer via USB cable ; Calibre would automatically acknowledge the unit and titles previously downloaded to the unit would appeared as "On Device". Not anymore : I seems only able to connect via the wireless option but even that is unstable : if the unit is left unattended for a while, the "On Device" listing disappear from the Calibre interface and yet the Kindle continue to indicate connected. I must manually disconnect then reactivate the wireless option. As suggested, I have disable my anti-virus to check if the problem was there but it did not change anything.
Also titles sent to my Kindle after 29-Nov-15 are not listed as "On Device" although they are sitting in my Kindle. The only major change around then was when I upgraded Calibre to 2.45.0
Old 03-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Let try a recap. I used to be able to simply connect my Kindle unit to my desktop computer via USB cable ; Calibre would automatically acknowledge the unit and titles previously downloaded to the unit would appeared as "On Device". Not anymore : I seems only able to connect via the wireless option but even that is unstable : if the unit is left unattended for a while, the "On Device" listing disappear from the Calibre interface and yet the Kindle continue to indicate connected. I must manually disconnect then reactivate the wireless option. As suggested, I have disable my anti-virus to check if the problem was there but it did not change anything.
Also titles sent to my Kindle after 29-Nov-15 are not listed as "On Device" although they are sitting in my Kindle. The only major change around then was when I upgraded Calibre to 2.45.0
OK, so now we know that the fundamental question is not related to CC, but is instead related to calibre and USB. Apparently you were using a cable but that stopped working.

CC sees books that were transferred by CC. It does not see books transferred in other ways such as by a USB connection except in limited ways (the books are in a recognized Amazon format (e.g., not KFX), if the books are stored in CC's folder, and if CC's scan on wireless connect is enabled). Mixing USB and CC connections is not supported.

As for the wireless device connection: network connections time out if not used. Calibre will disconnect if the connection isn't used. The device can disconnect. The wireless network between the two can disconnect. Sometimes these disconnections happen without telling CC.

As for on-device after 29-Nov-15, you don't say *how* these missing books were transferred. If books were transferred using CC then we can help. If they were transferred using a USB cable or by Amazon's "Whispersync" or equivalent then CC won't see them unless the conditions I described above are met.

My apologies, but I feel that we are running in circles here. Your post of 28/2/16 did not say that the problem was with USB connections, and I assumed that you were using CC. You get help with USB connections in the calibre or kindle forums.

So, have you been using CC and not USB since 29-Nov-15? If so, then the advice we have given in previous posts is appropriate. If you have been using USB and that stopped working and you want help with that then you must post in a calibre or kindle forum. CC has no role to play.

If you have been using USB but now are switching to CC then you must ensure that the books on the device are in CC's folder so CC can find them when it connects as a wireless device. You can use a file manager to check this. However, books downloaded directly from Amazon will almost certainly not work with either CC or calibre.

My feeling: you seem to want to use USB. In this case you should post in an appropriate forum for help on making it work.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
jayp2013mobile
Connoisseur

I will try to be specific. All my e-books over the last 5 years (Kindle Wireless Reading Device May 2011 to June 2015 ; Kindle Fire HD 7 since June 2015) were sent from my desktop Calibre software to my Kindle unit running CC via USB cable; that is until very recently (February 2015) when, all of a sudden, the only connection I could access was wireless from desktop Calibre software to my Kindle. Yes, I would prefer to continue using USB as a transfert so how do I post to the appropriate forum. Thank you for your patience.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will try to be specific. All my e-books over the last 5 years (Kindle Wireless Reading Device May 2011 to June 2015 ; Kindle Fire HD 7 since June 2015) were sent from my desktop Calibre software to my Kindle unit running CC via USB cable; that is until very recently (February 2015) when, all of a sudden, the only connection I could access was wireless from desktop Calibre software to my Kindle. Yes, I would prefer to continue using USB as a transfert so how do I post to the appropriate forum. Thank you for your patience.
Ask in the calibre devices forum. Be sure to say that you were using a cabled connection and it stopped working. Include the model of the Fire, the operating system running on the computer running calibre, and any information about changes to the configuration including updates on the computer running calibre and changes to the device itself (upgrades). Include any error messages that calibre provides, and whether or not you can "connect" to the device using whatever file manager available on the computer running calibre.