Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Kobo Discounts thread title include 'pertinent discussion'?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 13 19.70%
The blue one, next to the fish 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #16
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would go with this:

Kobo Codes + Discussion

The logic is that there is discussion about the codes and about the deals. Anything outside that window would not be allowed (which, as a moderator, I try to monitor anyway).
Definitely!!

For clarification purposes - does Discussion include (but not be limited to) all the 'tricky' examples I gave in the first post?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I've learned a lot from the "off topic" chatter. And as others have said, it's usually limited to on-between contest times.

Plus it's not that hard to just scroll through the new posts if one is only looking for codes.
Actually, I agree with pretty much everything everyone in favor has said. I think it's a great idea. I don't post much, but I lurk pretty regularly and share codes when I get any worth sharing.
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I vote yes so long as there are some parameters on the related discussion, and so long as there is a kind person collecting the non-contest codes in the first post. Alternatively I'd be very happy with a spinoff "Code-Related Discussions" post with a link at the top of the first post. (In fact I think I'd be a little more satisfied with that, but I don't feel strongly either way.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Billingsgate
Buys too many books
Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billingsgate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I voted no. Whereas the nuances of using the Kobo store might be considered somewhat related, the lengthiest so-called "pertinent discussions" tend to be people chirping about their favorite book series, which is so beyond irrelevant it makes my eyes hurt.

Secondly, the assertion that you can "always find the latest codes on the first page" is not exactly true. That page is only updated periodically (at times it hadn't been updated for months at a time), and certainly never during contests when hundreds of use-once-only coupons are posted (except the weird latest contest). It's challenging enough weeding through the "I used code RUYHW12345 posted 11 pages ago in the middle of a list of 3216 codes" kinds of posts, without having to also traipse through forests of "Oh, you like xxx author's series Yadayada? Try author YYY's Blablabla series, though I only read up to book 3, then skipped to book 7, though I never cared for ZZZ's GlubGlub series."

Let's keep the thread to code sharing only, please. You want to share your enthusiasm about popular authors? Try Goodreads, where you'll find much more in-depth discussions.

I know, you think I'm a sourpuss. No, I'm not. Just trying to keep some focus.
Billingsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I said no just because I don't see any reason to change the name. Only a couple of people have complained. I've learned SO MUCH from the discussions and someone is always helpful getting me to the 'list.'
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsgate View Post
..... Secondly, the assertion that you can "always find the latest codes on the first page" is not exactly true. That page is only updated periodically (at times it hadn't been updated for months at a time), and certainly never during contests when hundreds of use-once-only coupons are posted (except the weird latest contest).
Paul Durrant updates the first post with new non-Contest codes quite promptly as and when required (and has been doing so for some time now).

Thank you Paul.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-07-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added the smilie
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I voted "indifferent" (which became "the blue one next to the fish"). I know that some people have complained about the chatter on the Kobo thread and the romance thread, even though the romance thread already does have the "+ Discussion" label.

I think the discussion is friendly and the over-all friendliness (with a few notable exceptions) of this site is why I come here every day.

But I can understand why some folks just want to do a drive-by and look for codes or freebies and leave.

So I'll abide by whatever decision is made.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #23
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I voted YES as I find the majority of posts very informative and helpful. I have learned a lot from them. I also think they make the topic that much friendlier and welcoming.
Th posts about book series are relevant as people are discussing which codes work on those books. Since you almost need a university degree to keep track of which books and publishers are coupon eligible in which countries, its a nice heads up when someone comments on this.
Posts about the nuances of the Kobo website are also relevant to me. I only buy from Kobo when there are codes so if I didnt learn how it all works from the code topic, I wouldnt know at all and the vast majority of these store-related posts are connected to the use of codes.
It really does seem that there is only a very few people who are not happy with the topic as it is. Some people are unhappy people no matter what.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #24
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
This thread has been around a while and most of the time it has been on-topic. I think info about multi-tabbing or moving country are quite relevant. Epub-kepub discussion is doubtful, but hey... this is the internet: a tinge of anarchy should be there.
Besides, if the title were strictly adhered to it would be almost dead in between contests.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 AM   #25
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
The posts about book series are relevant as people are discussing which codes work on those books. Since you almost need a university degree to keep track of which books and publishers are coupon eligible in which countries, its a nice heads up when someone comments on this.
Posts about the nuances of the Kobo website are also relevant to me. I only buy from Kobo when there are codes so if I didnt learn how it all works from the code topic, I wouldnt know at all and the vast majority of these store-related posts are connected to the use of codes.
It really does seem that there is only a very few people who are not happy with the topic as it is. Some people are unhappy people no matter what.
This

If people want to driveby for codes without participating in the community then let them go to one of those cold generic discount collection websites like retailmeknot or whatever. and that is due to the neighbourly help and chat we share.
Darn I just let my inner grump out sorry bout that but it gets me when people don't appreciate those that give and share we have a few very strong contributors to that thread and without them it would be a lesser place.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #26
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
I voted yes.
I've only been participating in the Kobo discussions for a relatively short while, so I just want to say that I truly appreciate all the background/extra info & help the community provides.

And the extra chatter helps things move along while we're all waiting for THE NEXT DAMN CONTEST already...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #27
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
YES! without Mobilereads and the community offering advice and help I would be lost!
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I voted YES as I find the majority of posts very informative and helpful. I have learned a lot from them. I also think they make the topic that much friendlier and welcoming.
Th posts about book series are relevant as people are discussing which codes work on those books. Since you almost need a university degree to keep track of which books and publishers are coupon eligible in which countries, its a nice heads up when someone comments on this.

I voted yes. I learned a lot from all this off topic chit-chat.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I don't have strong feelings about it - the thread looks fine to me as it is, and I wonder whether adding "pertinent discussion" to the title will call for more discussion about what constitutes "pertinent" and what does not

On these basis, I took the third way!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I voted yes.

My feelings on "off topic" chat vary. If I find the chat useful I think it's a good idea, If I don't find it useful it annoys me. Selfish me. AND, when there's a contest going, well, never mind the chat, where's the codes?

However, I do enjoy the friendly atmosphere which leads to the chit chat.

If the title is changed to encompass the chat, people who (quite rightly) think the current title doesn't leave room for anything except the codes won't have grounds for complaint.
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote