Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
<blunt mode>
@user743

If you wish to use Calibre's Convert: Live with it or don't use it. That is the way it works. Convert is not broken, it just does not meet YOUR standards (you are not alone. Others refuse to use Convert)

If you want to use the Editor to create a AZW3: jump through the hoops as outlined by @eschwartz. 'Thems your options today

</blunt mode>

It is the final results that count , not the elegance of the code behind the display.

I don't have a clue on how many Calibre Convert users NEVER look at the resulting code (clearly, I am not one of those ) behind their books, but I would guess from the questions: >30% (and how many never made it here to MR?).

Convert has to deal with many code and reformatting issues, turning off class="calibre#" generation just is not worth the headaches/bug reports that would create. Note: in a few cases,: Calibre convert modifies valid code to provides alternate code WORKAROUNDS for devices with poor render engines.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
It looks like you misunderstood. I'm starting with one html file, that was never part of a ebook.
i want to
  1. edit it
  2. add a css file
  3. save it as a ebook (azw3).
adding it to a new empty ebook in cailbre, doesn't either work. because calibre gives me a error message that it's empty. (what is the point of adding a empty ebook if it stays empty. a bug?)
Sorry, didn't notice you were starting with HTML, but the rules are still the same, except you do not need to first unpack an EPUB.

Just create a new ebook, format type=AZW3, with ebook-edit, and import the desired resource file(s).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just create a new ebook, format type=AZW3, with ebook-edit, and import the desired resource file(s).
when i create a new ebook. i just get a zip file, which cant be edited.

how do i create a new ebook, format type=azw3, with ebook edit?
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

File ==> Create new, empty book
Popup to choose title, author,language, and...
Three buttons: AZW3, Cancel, EPUB.
Guess which one to click.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are starting with HTML you can also use File->Import HTML or DOCX file as a new book (though this will create a book in the epub format, not azw3). You can always convert the epub to azw3 after you are done editing it using calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are starting with HTML you can also use File->Import HTML or DOCX file as a new book (though this will create a book in the epub format, not azw3). You can always convert the epub to azw3 after you are done editing it using calibre.
Sadly, the problem seems to be converting it in the first place. The OP doesn't like calibre* styles, even in the end format!

Why anyone feels the need to care what happens under the hood in the end format which will never be directly edited, I do not know.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

File->Import does not do a conversion for HTML. And even for docx, no full conversion is done, you will not see any calibre** classes in the result (unless they were there to begin with).
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
File->Import does not do a conversion for HTML. And even for docx, no full conversion is done, you will not see any calibre** classes in the result (unless they were there to begin with).
Wait, so if you import a DOCX in the Editor, it just cleans it up then gives you the original styles and stuff? Cool!

The OP doesn't want to see calibre* classes in the AZW3 format either.

I think this may be because OP has a KPW and doesn't want to preserve multiple (extraneous) formats?

So the answer would be, I guess, you need to open the Editor, choose create new book, choose AZW3 format, and import the HTML page you have as a resource file. Then you can edit in AZW3 without those messy calibre* classes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of doing saves in AZW3 since it takes much longer to pack the book.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's not original styles. There's no way to map docx styles to css styles as the cascading models are completely different. But they are not calibre* full resolved styles either.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #25
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

sorry for the misunderstanding, but i don't care what tags the final ebook has. as long as i can edit it, before it gets these tags. so i can add the same stylesheet to many ebooks, formatted the same.

BTW adding a blank ebook only lets me choose azw3, if I'm in the editor, not in the "library" (or home -whatever it's called).
Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
sorry for the misunderstanding, but i don't care what tags the final ebook has. as long as i can edit it, before it gets these tags. so i can add the same stylesheet to many ebooks, formatted the same.
Then this sounds like exactly what you want:
Quote:

Quote:
BTW adding a blank ebook only lets me choose azw3, if I'm in the editor, not in the "library" (or home -whatever it's called).
You should see an option for EPUB there, (like in the screenshot) if not, something is very wrong. I cannot imagine why that might happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edit-book-new-book.png
Views:	266
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	120851  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #27
user743
Addict

Quote:
You should see an option for EPUB there, (like in the screenshot) if not, something is very wrong. I cannot imagine why that might happen.
calibre portable 1.28.0 screenshots

Last edited by user743; 03-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Screenshots 1 & 3 are for creating a blank (no formats attached) record in the database. It has nothing whatsoever to do with creating an EPUB or an AZW3.

According to your second screenshot, you have the option to create an EPUB in the Editor.

Is it not working?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
user743
Addict

Thumbs up

it's working fine. for your help. i just didn't notice the differences between getting to screenshot 1 (3) and 2.

(i still dont new what screenshot 1 (3) is for. what can you do with a empty ebook that has no formats, can't be edited or converted?)

Last edited by user743; 03-27-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Screenshots one and three are for creating a calibre library record, with metadata and all, even though you don't actually have an ebook. This is often done by people who want to record their pbooks in calibre -- they add a note saying where it is, I guess.

Tags
<calibre> tags, calibre, calibre portable, css, html import to calibre