Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
One important short coming of the N8 is lack of a flash for the camera. this makes it a bit challenging to photograph (scan) a document for conversion to PDF's. Holding the tablet above the document will create shadows and reduce lighting. I've plenty of photo lighting but I don't carry them with me all day.

Because of how I use mine this really is a significant missing feature but I knew it going in.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@rkw : I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty to repost your youtube links so they appear properly in this thread (are you using tapatalk to post ? you need to replace "yt" with "YOUTUBE" in the brackets for the vids to show) :

Other vids to watch

aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I looked at the GN8 at CostCo and really liked the form factor, feel and features, and I would compare it favorably to the current iPad Mini. However I need more screen resolution. Presumably such a thing is in the works. I'll wait.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
@rkw : I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty to repost your youtube links so they appear properly in this thread (are you using tapatalk to post ? you need to replace "yt" with "YOUTUBE" in the brackets for the vids to show)
thanks for the heads- up. I knew one of the vB sites I frequent used [ YouTube ] not the shorter [ yt ] that seems more standard...and appeals to my lazy nature.

Last edited by rkw; 08-20-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
I have had a note 8 for 2 weeks now, and so far I really enjoy it. I also have an ipad mini, but the note 8 is not a replacement, I use both a lot (my kids love the mini too so I wanted a tablet for me only). I especially enjoy the s-pen and its various apps.

There are some books that I either read for professional reasons, or that are packed with references that I want to keep, and Samsun's Readers Hub, although not a great reader app (it certainly does not compare to Moon Reader +), is fantastic when used with the S-pen. It keep all my notes and my highlights at hand.

I also love the S-note app, as well as the aNote HD.

I had not too good experiences with android until now on tablets, the Note 8 has reconciled us..
Thanks for the input/review. I also have an iPad, the 10".
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've been looking at the Note 8 as a replacement for my HTC. So far no other tablet has what I demand (except the Flyer and now the Note 8): a pen.

Problem is, my Flyer is still working perfectly and the Note 8 is a tad too expensive (still) to buy as a tablet to the side...
I know what you mean. My iPad still works fine too.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
for the OP the most complete & active forum(s) for the N8 are over at XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2243

There are also forums at Android Central, Android Forums as well as a couple other less active forums. Someone mentioned a Google Group for the N8's but I can NEVER find groups within Google Groups so well, I dunno??
Thanks for the link. I did go over to the Google Groups mentioned but I didn't like the format either.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
The S-pen and it's associated apps, 3rd party or from Samsung, bring more to the table than can be addressed in a forum post. I have never taken to using onscreen keyboards and loved the old PDA's sodtook to using the S-pen instantly. Using S-Note is great. Lecture Notes is a great 3rd party option as well, But whatever on uses the S-pen moves notetaking and writing to another level. Watch this video to get an idea:

(don't be bothered that these are for the Note 10.1 as other than size they are pretty much the same in functionality)
[yt]yKYsYUNFFkg[/yt]
[yt]Zja4z9MJ3Qw[/yt]

Other vids to watch
[yt]9nh2NSLgaII[/yt]
[yt]Gau-vu1zq18[/yt]

Good Luck!! :sly:
Thanks for the links

Carol
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I looked at the GN8 at CostCo and really liked the form factor, feel and features, and I would compare it favorably to the current iPad Mini. However I need more screen resolution. Presumably such a thing is in the works. I'll wait.
Are you saying a new Note 8 is on the way. I thought this one was just released.

Carol
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
sadievan
Wizard

Is anyone else having trouble seeing Acflor's videos. It's making this page go goofy.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #26
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Are you saying a new Note 8 is on the way. I thought this one was just released.

Carol
Samsung rumor is they are making a 12.2 Note with high res screen. If iPad mini gets ine on its next refresh then the next Note 8 next year may too.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #27
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble seeing Acflor's videos. It's making this page go goofy.
Hmmm...... They appear ok on my browser, but I don't know...

I just reposted rkw's youtube links with the MR embedding code, which allows to show them directly.

Should I better take them out ? The codes are clear in rkw's post so maybe we don't need the embedded ones...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Hmmm...... They appear ok on my browser, but I don't know...

I just reposted rkw's youtube links with the MR embedding code, which allows to show them directly.

Should I better take them out ? The codes are clear in rkw's post so maybe we don't need the embedded ones...
I would be happy to post full links and edit my post with the correct vB delimiters if it help anyone.

BTW, what's weird is my original post shows fine in Tapatalk 4. So maybe Tapatalk does it's own parsing of some variations of delimiters? That's frustrating as it means amistake like this won't show in Tapatalk. So thanks again for pointing out the goof.

Last edited by rkw; 08-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Thanks for the links

Carol
most welcome... after all the years I'm finally learning to like YouTube... who knew they had somuch "good" stuff?

:sly:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
I would be happy to post full links and edit my post with the correct vB delimiters if it help anyone.

BTW, what's weird is my original post shows fine in Tapatalk 4. So maybe Tapatalk does it's own parsing of some variations of delimiters? That's frustrating as it means amistake like this won't show in Tapatalk. So thanks again for pointing out the goof.
I am not a great fan of tapatalk myself...