Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Amaterasu88
Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.Amaterasu88 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I was afraid someone would ask

To do it using calibre:

1) Open the configuration for the Kobo driver you are using. This is either the main KoboTouch driver or the KoboTouchExtended driver.
2) Remove the column names you currently have in the shelf columns field. That is the last field before the check boxes.
3) Into the shelf columns field, enter the search name of another column in your calibre library. it needs to be a columns that displays text rather than a date or number.
4) Uncheck the "Create bookshelves" option
5) Make sure the "Delete empty bookshelves" option is selected.
6) Save the changes
7) Make sure that on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences that "Metadata management" is set to automatic.
8) Restart calibre
9) Connect the Kobo device and let calibre do its thing.
10) When calibre has finished eject the device
11) Check the shelves are all gone and sync to the Kobo server to tell it to delete the shelves.

The only problem with this is if there are books on the device that are not in the calibre library. If any of those books are on shelves, those particular shelves are not empty and the driver will not delete them.
Thanks man, it helps a lot, i got the same problem
Amaterasu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
I got fed up waiting for Kobo to solve the duplicate shelves problem, especially, after their Customer Service advice was to carry out a factory reset

So I did a quick revision on using and editing databases and following the advice of "davidfor", did a quick edit of SQL. Amazing how much information you forget over the years. Now no more problems of duplicate shelves. Thanks to "davidfor". That is twice now your advice has cleared things up for me.

I just hope that once Kobo pull their finger out and solve the problem on their server sync, this circle doesn't start again
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I was afraid someone would ask

To do it using calibre:

1) Open the configuration for the Kobo driver you are using. This is either the main KoboTouch driver or the KoboTouchExtended driver.
2) Remove the column names you currently have in the shelf columns field. That is the last field before the check boxes.
3) Into the shelf columns field, enter the search name of another column in your calibre library. it needs to be a columns that displays text rather than a date or number.
4) Uncheck the "Create bookshelves" option
5) Make sure the "Delete empty bookshelves" option is selected.
6) Save the changes
7) Make sure that on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences that "Metadata management" is set to automatic.
8) Restart calibre
9) Connect the Kobo device and let calibre do its thing.
10) When calibre has finished eject the device
11) Check the shelves are all gone and sync to the Kobo server to tell it to delete the shelves.

The only problem with this is if there are books on the device that are not in the calibre library. If any of those books are on shelves, those particular shelves are not empty and the driver will not delete them.
THANK YOU! I'll try it today!
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Terri_B
Terri_B began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO TOUCH
Thank you all for your replies. Since I mentioned above that I am not computer literate I will have to wait for KOBO to fix this issue. I have deleted all my shelves except for the triplicate ones that won't delete I have just gone back to the basic's and find my books in my Library on KOBO and have my shelves written down on paper. Hope they get this fixed soon. No point in having a shelves option if it doesn't work. Take care.
Terri_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #20
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Has anyone heard anything further on the shelf problem recently? I have emailed Kobo several times and best I received back from them was it is still being investigated.
Doesn't matter at the moment since I solved the problem with a quick database edit on my Glo.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Mine have disappeared on their own again.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
EagleRidgeGal
EagleRidgeGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey, I had this same problem and was told by a Kobo rep. to do a factory reset, it DID fix the triplicated shelves, but it did not remove the unnamed shelf (""). I was told by another Kobo rep. on Tuesday (17th September 2013) that this is a known issue and will be addressed in the next firmware update. So that may help you Terri_B.
EagleRidgeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I know that 2.9.0 doesn't let you create shelves with leading or trailing spaces in the name. There probably is some cleanup happening to get rid or rename shelves that have this. That might fix the empty name shelves as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote