Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The map looks really nice, though I'd say a nice high quality, easily accessible one should be part of every e-book if the paper version has one.
The hyperlinked Character Glossary is probably nice too, considering how many recurring characters there are in TSOIAF. But I have to admit that I don't see any reason not to include that in the normal e-books, besides wanting to sell a higher priced "special edition" of course .

The audio snippets seemed completely pointless to me.
Offering the complete audiobook with the novel to read along I could see as being interesting but that just felt interruptive without adding anything.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Quite a few Military Fiction Authors have added maps to their hard copy books for years. Of course they were only interactive in that you had to turn the page to look at them.
Apache

Most of my favorite fantasy books include maps in the hard copies. I just wish they did the same with the ebooks. Give me my maps back!

/whine

(Note to Authors: Fantasy readers LOVE LOVE LOVE maps. I'm just saying...)
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

Most of my favorite fantasy books include maps in the hard copies. I just wish they did the same with the ebooks. Give me my maps back!

/whine

(Note to Authors: Fantasy readers LOVE LOVE LOVE maps. I'm just saying...)
Maps are probably my biggest gripe with e-books. I find that most include them but if you can't zoom they really aren't very helpful. I've taken to tracking down a decent printable version on the net. I wish they would have a pdf version of the map "officially" available on the authors or publishers site.

And +1 to loving them!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The map part is cool, but other than that, meh.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
File Size: 111638 KB

I thought the TV series was the enhanced edition.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
There are ways audio can enhance the content other than just repeating what appears in the text or previewing the audio version of the book. For one thing, one could hear Dothraki as it's meant to be pronounced - something not possible in an audiobook since you wouldn't understand the audio!

I don't suppose this will make the ebook more valuable to everyone, but I like getting a feeling for the music of a language.
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keloff View Post
There are ways audio can enhance the content other than just repeating what appears in the text or previewing the audio version of the book. For one thing, one could hear Dothraki as it's meant to be pronounced - something not possible in an audiobook since you wouldn't understand the audio!

I don't suppose this will make the ebook more valuable to everyone, but I like getting a feeling for the music of a language.
I don't want to know how it's actually pronounced. I hate the way that sounds but it's true.

The enhanced ebook will take away my personal experience and give me someone else experience.

I'll pass. I don't even like books that use a movie picture as the cover.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Quite a few Military Fiction Authors have added maps to their hard copy books for years. Of course they were only interactive in that you had to turn the page to look at them.
Apache
And pretty much EVERY fantasy novel has maps .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
The enhanced version is currently freee in the Australian Amazon store. Thank you so much for the video link I was totally underwhelmed by the enhanced content but that was because I didn't know about the swipes to get the map working lol
Hey Melmac, I didn't know there was an Australian Amazon store and www.amazon.com.au take me to the UK store. What's more the youtube video was set in Apple iBooks. Can someone post a link to this free book please?

Confused.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I don't want to know how it's actually pronounced. I hate the way that sounds but it's true.

The enhanced ebook will take away my personal experience and give me someone else experience.

I'll pass. I don't even like books that use a movie picture as the cover.
I subscribe to all of that, except maybe the names part. As far as pronunciation goes I'm equally fine both knowing and not knowing. Movie book covers is one of my pet hates.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #26
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Hey Melmac, I didn't know there was an Australian Amazon store and www.amazon.com.au take me to the UK store. What's more the youtube video was set in Apple iBooks. Can someone post a link to this free book please?

Confused.
It's on www.amazon.com but only appears free if you have your region set to australia which is done under Manage my kindle - Country - Australia

The youtube video is in ibooks because the enhaced content only works on an Apple Device(I reckon it must work on a kindle fire too right?)
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well... what's the point without 3D Maps? At least a little better than the one in the
3D version of Skyrim, come on let's keep up with the technology. I mean we just have
to have this new interconectable, phone home, server authorized, super DRM capable,
new epub format, to have these features that are being demanded by the ereading public - NOT!

I mean really - does anyone really believe that these new features are ones that the
readers wanted -or- are they ones that publishing and distribution corporations lobbied
and provided technical, and other, support for?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #28
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I want the map feature in my fantasy novels...the others I can take it or leave it
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #29
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I subscribe to all of that, except maybe the names part. As far as pronunciation goes I'm equally fine both knowing and not knowing. Movie book covers is one of my pet hates.
books that are reprinted merely to slap the movie/tv cover on them drive me nuts. the covers on the series weren't amazing to begin with but i really don't want to stare at sean bean. it makes a book feel...i don't know....cheap and tawdry like a movie novelization or something.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
books that are reprinted merely to slap the movie/tv cover on them drive me nuts. the covers on the series weren't amazing to begin with but i really don't want to stare at sean bean. it makes a book feel...i don't know....cheap and tawdry like a movie novelization or something.
I bought the original George Lucas Star Wars Novel. It did not have a movie cover because it was released before the movie. It did have "Soon To Be A Major Motion Picture" at the top. After reading it, I remember thinking it would make a good movie and I would like to go see it.
I forgot about the book by the time the movie came out and was sitting in the theater watching Star Wars and feeling that everything seemed so familiar. Then I realized I had read the book. Of course after the movie was released the books all had Movie Poster Covers.
Needless to say a book which did not sell well in it's initial release soon shot to number one on the book charts.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote