Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Is there a way to automatically pull in the ASIN or do you simply have to manually key it in for each book?
Calibre will auto add it when you pull the metadata from their site if Amazon has a ebook version. If it's not available then you need to borrow one from an Amazon ebook that is not on your Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Calibre will auto add it when you pull the metadata from their site if Amazon has a ebook version. If it's not available then you need to borrow one from an Amazon ebook that is not on your Kindle.
Hmmm, I thought it would be auto added. I'm looking at each of my books and I don't see any ASINs. I'm looking in the metadata field "Ids" when you click on "Edit Metadata". It's showing ISBN, a number from Goodreads, and an ISBN from Amazon. Not seeing the ASIN which would include letters and numbers. These are popular books available in Kindle format.

Last edited by SCION; 11-27-2011 at 07:25 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm, I thought it would be auto added. I'm looking at each of my books and I don't see any ASINs. I'm looking in the metadata field "Ids" when you click on "Edit Metadata". It's showing ISBN, a number from Goodreads, and an ISBN from Amazon. Not seeing the ASIN which would include letters and numbers. These are popular books available in Kindle format.
Sorry. I believe the ISBN from Amazon is what you need if there is an ebook attach to it. If not you need manually add one from another book.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Sorry. I believe the ISBN from Amazon is what you need if there is an ebook attach to it. If not you need manually add one from another book.
That's good news! No reason to apologize. That's why I provided detailed info.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's good news! No reason to apologize. That's why I provided detailed info.
I'm just not being clear enough due to be over stuff at the moment with turkey and all the trimmings. We had thanksgiving today so I feel like I am gonna explode.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I don't believe that the metadata plugins alter/add the ASIN at all. If you do a MOBI-to-MOBI conversion, it has been my experience that the following are true:

1. If the MOBI has no ASIN, Calibre adds an ASIN that is a uniquely generate (UUID) value.
2. If the MOBI has an ASIN, Calibre leaves it as is, whether it is an Amazon ASIN, a Calibre-generated one, or any other value.

If you do a conversion from any other format to MOBI, #1 above also applies.

h.b.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for your help... I now have hope! Is there a way to have Calibre search for Amazon's ISBN number - a plug-in? I've set-up Calibre to show me the ISBN's of the books I have and I am daunted by how many don't have a number, let alone the one Amazon uses. I'm hoping I don't have to find and update the ISBN's individually by hand.....

This may better be pursued in the Calibre forum....
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Thanks for your help... I now have hope! Is there a way to have Calibre search for Amazon's ISBN number - a plug-in? I've set-up Calibre to show me the ISBN's of the books I have and I am daunted by how many don't have a number, let alone the one Amazon uses. I'm hoping I don't have to find and update the ISBN's individually by hand.....

This may better be pursued in the Calibre forum....
Yes Calibre can fetch the metadata from Amazon servers using the Edit Metadata button then click Download Metadata. You can disable which places it gets metadata from by clicking the settings button next to Download Metadata.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes Calibre can fetch the metadata from Amazon servers using the Edit Metadata button then click Download Metadata. You can disable which places it gets metadata from by clicking the settings button next to Download Metadata.
@Blossom, I really appreciate your help on this! I have tried that on one book and it returns two options, however neither option has the same ISBN number as when I go to Amazon's site and look it up myself.... does it matter as long as it is an ISBN number from Amazon?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
@Blossom, I really appreciate your help on this! I have tried that on one book and it returns two options, however neither option has the same ISBN number as when I go to Amazon's site and look it up myself.... does it matter as long as it is an ISBN number from Amazon?
Make sure Amazon is enabled and disable the others. If that doesn't work put Amazon ISBN manually in then click Download Metadata. It's sometimes gets finicky.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #26
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
There was a whole thread on this a while back. I thought that Calibre put the ASIN # in a line of the book file itself automatically.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
There was a whole thread on this a while back. I thought that Calibre put the ASIN # in a line of the book file itself automatically.

Carol
On some books but there are ones where you need to do a bit more tweaking.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #28
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Make sure Amazon is enabled and disable the others. If that doesn't work put Amazon ISBN manually in then click Download Metadata. It's sometimes gets finicky.
If the ISBN extractor plugin for Calibre finds a number, will that work or does it have to be an ISBN number specific to an Amazon Kindle e-book? Or do I perform a metadata search for an Amazon ISBN after using the ISBN extractor plugin to get an ISBN from the book itself?

Last edited by GoSharks; 11-28-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
If the ISBN extractor plugin for Calibre finds a number, will that work or does it have to be an ISBN number specific to an Amazon Kindle e-book?
It looks like either the AISN or ISBN-10 will work by looking at the books I have in Calibre.

It needs to be Amazon specific it looks like. I'm not sure though. I usually just click download metadata find the one that says Amazon and choose that one.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
The entire process is explained step-by-step with pictures and links to the tools that are needed here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...oks_on_Windows

It helped me tremendously.
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote