Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You seriously need to find a different site to host your files, the site will not allow me to download the Windows exe.
One "trick" that did work... at the top of the https://github.com/fhaby/whatever page is a selection ZIP; this will download the repository in a ZIP file so you get not only the Windows EXE file but the other 3 files as well all in a zip file....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Trouhel
Enthusiast
Trouhel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for trying.
I then took a closer look, there's actually also a "Downloads" button which will allow files to be downloaded as soon as I've uploaded the individual files there (takes some time).
Trouhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Trouhel
Enthusiast

Upload completed.
Individual files are now available at: https://github.com/fhaby/whatever/downloads
Make sure to download the docs archive and read at least the Installation chapter before anything else.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
An impressive work. Congratulations!

I will try to test it if I manage to install needed dependencies (Debian).
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Trouhel
Enthusiast

Uploaded a new version that:

1) Adds a short on-line help to the installer,
2) Corrects bugs when version of Open Office:

a) uses TD instead of TH in THEAD
b) uses P styles for cells instead of TH P, TD P

(both seem to be the case on Windows).

If anyone tries--or even succeeds--using it, let me know : I won't bother keeping the repository up if inactive for too long.
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Will check it out somewhere this week.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Trouhel
Enthusiast

Did you download today ?

I actually found out the last uploaded version is broken when it comes to tables (doesn't comply to XHTML strict any more in some cases). Fixed it but
had no time to upload yet (I'll do that by tomorrow night and post when done).

I'm thinking of adding an update feature to the installer so that an update would simply mean downloading either the zipped sources or an update zip file
and launching the installer again instead of downloading of the whole 17.5M installer.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will download it as soon as I have time to test. I did scan through the manual and the required programs is quite a list.
Anyway, it will probably not be before friday.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Trouhel
Enthusiast

Well, that's one of my main concern : that it proves too complex and prevents one from trying. Under Windows at least, the installer should eases things a little bit.

The new version has been uploaded (fixes the tables bug).

It introduces the following changes :

a) Windows self-extracting archive is replaced by an installer/updater.
The sources and documentation zipped files must be downloaded separately.
This reduces both uploads and upgrades bandwidth's consumption.

b) Support information has been modified.
The previous was a bad choice and proved too spam friendly.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard

I tried to install it this weekend, but the installation procedure is too complex. Instead that the installer warns you that you need to install certain applications/tools, it just gives an error and stops. You then need to figure out what you need additionally.
Also, I need to install the complete LUA. Isn't there a runtime or something instead of the whole suite?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
Trouhel
Enthusiast

a) Yes. I figured out that bug this weekend. Actually the installer stops instead of telling you about missing software, only because of a wrongly formatted error message. Fixed, but not uploaded yet.

b) Lua for Windows is a runtime which adds needed libraries to the basic virtual machine : the only other way to get them is to compile yourself. Everything needed is copied by the installer, so you can uninstall Lua for Windows afterward (Lua itself is not needed).

c) as for other softwares, you need :

- wxLua and the ConTeXt installer in any case
- Info-Zip if you checked the ePUB button

So that's three more zip file yous need to have in your "Downloads" folder, which might also be deleted once install is complete.

Using the tool is not going to be an "run as soon as possible" matter either, but the learning curve is really nothing compared to becoming acquainted with ConTeXt (or LaTeX for that matter).

There's also definitely be bugs showing out : that's hardly avoidable within more than 25.000 lines of software.

If the PDF button is checked, the installer will download and install ConTeXt, which is about 200Mb, for you : obviously this will take some time.

This is actually the easiest way I could figure out to get the necessary software on Windows.

To sum up (it's detailed in the doc) :

a) have :

LuaForWindows_v5.1.4-45.exe
whatever-win32.exe
context-setup-mswin.zip
wxLua-2.8.10-MSW-bin.zip
zip300xn.zip (if ePUB selected)
whatever-full.zip
whatever-docs.zip (optional, but recommended as this will allow testing the installation)

in your %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Downloads folder (all together that is somewhere around 50Mb)

b) install Lua For Windows where it propose you (this is either C:\Program Files (x86)\Lua\5.1 or C:\Program Files\Lua\5.1)
c) run the installer, it should now work.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I tried to install it this weekend, but the installation procedure is too complex. Instead that the installer warns you that you need to install certain applications/tools, it just gives an error and stops. You then need to figure out what you need additionally.
Also, I need to install the complete LUA. Isn't there a runtime or something instead of the whole suite?
Tox:

If you try this, will you let me know?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #28
Toxaris
Wizard

I did it once, but then I stopped. I haven't tried for the second time yet. Once I get around to it, I will let you all know.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Thx. As you know, I'm always interested in new tools--but the brain-damage of installing this if it isn't the "bee's knees" makes me want to get input from someone I trust, first.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
Trouhel
Enthusiast

Uploaded a new version with a Windows installer that downloads/installs all third party software. Absolute prerequisite is to have a C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll present on your computer (this is the basic Visual C++ runtime shared library many other software uses as well): despite it being called "redistributable", its license actually forbids that.

Getting that to work has been very time consuming, for what amounts, IMHO, to almost nothing. I've conduced enough tests to conclude that :

a) Installing, running the test script as described in the documentation, and rebuilding the documentation using the GUI works on both Windows and Unix. It takes 1/4 hour, all downloads files included, plus nothing but GUI config files, that have to be in your home folder, is ever installed/modified outside the installation folder.

b) On non-Windows OS, probably including Mac OS/X, installing dependencies from sources when binaries/packages are not available can be a drag, especially when it comes to wxLua (every thing else should be almost effortless), unless you are able to tackle with "configure" scripts and makefiles (I actually had to, so, given I do not even run Linux, I assume it is feasible in most cases, but I unfortunately cannot be of any help there.)

c) Building ePUB and PDF from .odt, or .(x)html compliant to the specs, works, at least in most case, and most certainly can be made to work in any case: the documentation itself being as complex as can be, it will remain, for the time being, the measurement unit in that matter.

d) .doc to .odt to .html using Open Office must be handled with care : it will more often that not loose/damage formatting information. That may be either harmless or break the formatting process.

This is more than enough as far as I am concerned, so I'll leave it at that for a while and give myself a break.

"provided 'as is', without warranty of any kind", as the saying goes.