Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Oh yeah I forgot they artificially doubled the battery life of the K3! For all practical purposes though it is still essentially a one month battery. But so what? Even if the battery only lasts one week in the non-touch that is still more than sufficient AFAIC. I use my K3 quite a bit and usually with the built-in light case, and I have to charge perhaps once every two weeks or so. Everything else I own has to be charged daily--cell phone, iPad, etc.

So to reiterate, my K3 lasts two weeks or more while powering itself and the lighted case. That is based on my personal, typical usage. That is impressive and I could care less if another reader lasts longer per charge.
I'm with you. I generally read about 1 hour a day so it would last me 2 weeks which is more than enough.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Do you know if the old K3 adapters will work with the new Ks?
Yes. It will even charge from the USB port on a (powered up) computer. That is pretty much the lowest common denominator of USB charging.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Do you know if the old K3 adapters will work with the new Ks?
Well, I would say yes. If you look at the product description it lists all the Kindle models (and it looks just like all the others I have). Unfortunately, the first-time Kindle users will have to purchase it as an extra.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I'm with you. I generally read about 1 hour a day so it would last me 2 weeks which is more than enough.
An e-reader battery good for 1/2 hour per day over 2 months does not correspond to 1 hour per day for 1 month. Not even close.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138778

The good news is that going from 30 minutes reading per day to 1 hour reading per day will only shorten battery charge life a little.

The bad news is that going from 1 hour reading per day to 30 minutes per day only increases battery charge life a little. Amazon was not justified in claiming 2 months on that basis.

But, since the K3 can go 1 month at 1 hour per day, the new smallest Kindle can probably go 2 weeks at 1 hour per day. So via canceling errors, your estimate is probably good.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Well, I would say yes. If you look at the product description it lists all the Kindle models (and it looks just like all the others I have). Unfortunately, the first-time Kindle users will have to purchase it as an extra.
Amazon itself says that any USB specification compliant charger will work.

As to having to buy one, is there anyone left without at least one USB charger? (There is the miniUSB vs microUSB, but almost all USB chargers have detachable cords, and the new Kindles do include USB cables.)
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #21
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
An e-reader battery good for 1/2 hour per day over 2 months does not correspond to 1 hour per day for 1 month. Not even close.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138778

The good news is that going from 30 minutes reading per day to 1 hour reading per day will only shorten battery charge life a little.

The bad news is that going from 1 hour reading per day to 30 minutes per day only increases battery charge life a little. Amazon was not justified in claiming 2 months on that basis.

But, since the K3 can go 1 month at 1 hour per day, the new smallest Kindle can probably go 2 weeks at 1 hour per day. So via canceling errors, your estimate is probably good.
Umm ok. All that long winded explanation and a link to detailed explanation on battery life and in the end you say "your estimate is probably good". I'm not looking for a religious debate on battery life, I meant to say that if it lasts 2 weeks (or 10 days even) at my reading frequency it's good enough for me.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Umm ok. All that long winded explanation and a link to detailed explanation on battery life and in the end you say "your estimate is probably good". I'm not looking for a religious debate on battery life, I meant to say that if it lasts 2 weeks (or 10 days even) at my reading frequency it's good enough for me.
the Nontouch is smaller and lighter then the Touch. It looks like a perfect travel reader to me. At $79 I might get one later on as a back up after I sell my K3 in December.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Amazon itself says that any USB specification compliant charger will work.

As to having to buy one, is there anyone left without at least one USB charger? (There is the miniUSB vs microUSB, but almost all USB chargers have detachable cords, and the new Kindles do include USB cables.)
True, I have a boxful. But not everyone does. For the real newbie it's an extra ten bucks and the hassle of an order.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I find it interesting, and somewhat disappointing, that Amazon has chosen to eliminate the AC adapter that previously was included with the Kindle. They now sell it as an accessory for $9.99 which, effectively, raises the price of the new Kindles by $10 (particularly for a first-time buyer):
Exactly! It's a sneaky way to lower prices. At least it's only $10. Apple has the nerve to charge $29 for the same thing.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In order to achieve a $79 price point, Amazon stripped the base model. Besides a battery that lasts half as long (1 month), they also removed the MP3 player, and cut the storage from 3 GB to 1.25 GB.

The $79 model would make a great gift for children.
I Never use the MP3 player on my K3 and once I'm done reading a book I delete it off of my device. I am happy that they've released this model because like you said, not only is it great for kids but it will bring in a lot more Kindle owners.

I ended up ordering the $79 model and a Fire- I will keep my 3G Kindle Keyboard for now. Touch screens are OK, but it's not a "must have" for me. The Kindle Basic will be good for my commute and to take to work for lunchtime.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, I have a boxful. But not everyone does. For the real newbie it's an extra ten bucks and the hassle of an order.
I have two. One for my KSO and one for my Kodak PlaySport. If both devices are loaned out (which I do for family), I'll be left without a charger.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I Never use the MP3 player on my K3 and once I'm done reading a book I delete it off of my device. I am happy that they've released this model because like you said, not only is it great for kids but it will bring in a lot more Kindle owners.

I ended up ordering the $79 model and a Fire- I will keep my 3G Kindle Keyboard for now. Touch screens are OK, but it's not a "must have" for me. The Kindle Basic will be good for my commute and to take to work for lunchtime.
I use the MP3 player in my KSO for audiobooks and background music, so that feature is a must have for me. But for those that don't, it certainly won't be missed.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ordered a Non Touch with a fire, I like my E-ink readers with page turn buttons, I Don't care for swiping the screen.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use the MP3 player in my KSO for audiobooks and background music, so that feature is a must have for me. But for those that don't, it certainly won't be missed.
Why couldn't your sansa Clip+ pick up the slack? I agree that lack of audio might be a deal breaker for some, but to me the snap on hard cover of the Pocketbook 360 overcomes both the lack of audio and the lack of wi-fi or any other wireless. Of course, the PB 360+ has wi-fi, so Amazon should still not get a free ride.

Nonetheless, I think it is great that the non touch no keyboard Kindle is now available, and at a great price.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There is a link to the AC adapter on the same page, doesn't seem like an order hassle to me..

So, basicly, you want everyone to have to pay $10 more and get a charger whether they need it or not.

I am sympathetic to your compaint in general. I have had many painful experiences buying expensive equipment lacking a proprietary required cable that was hard to find, and having to wait a long time for the cable while the expensive box sat unused.

But the charger cost is a good chunk of the cost of this reader and many many people alreader have a charger, probably several. And, it can be charged from a USB port on a computer.

Last edited by j.p.s; 09-28-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typos