Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I never understood the attraction of the sexy tortured vampire. What use is super vamp strength if they can't change your flat tire in a mall parking lot at 2 o'clock in the afternoon?
Well, they shouldn't be able to get out of the car at that time since the sun would be out.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I actually like True Blood because I read the books/series as a deconstruction of why having a relationship with a vampire isn't healthy at all. But then I'm only on Book 1 and Season 3 of the book and TV series, respectively.

I dislike Twilight enough that I've devoted my life to a line-by-line deconstruction of the series on my website. And, yes, I realize that sounds somewhat unbalanced.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... And the modern urban fantasy stuff is more along the line of super hero stuff. Traditional horror supernatural was the pov of a ordinary mortal who couldn't escape the ravening beast.

Today, we either have some supernatural vampire Killer with powers of their (her) own, or we have immortal, super-powered vampires/werewolves who are good guys.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We may indeed be flooded with sparkly joyous vampires but alternatives still exist. Try Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt series. Not much sweetness and light there. Lovable guy? Not hardly. Just a man, um, vampire of his word.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
In fact, maybe we need a new mythological character: A nymphomaniac that will die if they don't have fantastic sex every night...
That already exists, although perhaps not in the realm of normal fiction. That's how succubi are often portrayed in, ahem, less savory literature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Today, we either have some supernatural vampire Killer with powers of their (her) own, or we have immortal, super-powered vampires/werewolves who are good guys.
Doesn't have to be all or nothing. Alucard (from Hellsing manga by Kouta Hirano) has all sorts of awesome powers and falls somewhere in between the good and evil scale. He also happens to be majorly cool.

It's really all about the target audience. I reckon most of the vampire (or werewolf or demon or whatever) fiction being churned out are just a play on the bad boy turned good in the name of love, except being an evilly-predisposed supernatural being adds another layer of danger to the mix.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's really all about the target audience. I reckon most of the vampire (or werewolf or demon or whatever) fiction being churned out are just a play on the bad boy turned good in the name of love, except being an evilly-predisposed supernatural being adds another layer of danger to the mix.

Maybe that's why I have a problem with it, although until I read this I couldn't have put my finger on WHY.

This very common fantasy is why so many women and girls get into and stay in abusive relationships - 'I can change him! He just needs a good woman!'

No you can't, and no he doesn't.

This is an interesting discussion because my publisher, after finding out that in the past I had been writing SF (rather than the historicals I'm writing now) tried to encourage me to write some 'paranormal romance' and I threw a hissy fit.

I was sick of vampires a long time ago - I never watched 'Buffy' for that reason, although I'm well aware it was a good show. I think Anne Rice did more for vampire PR than anyone else.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Mel
Connoisseur
Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
In fact, maybe we need a new mythological character: A nymphomaniac that will die if they don't have fantastic sex every night...

(Added to story ideas folder)
Anita Blake?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.

"One thing about livin in Santa Carla I never could stomach. All the damned vampires."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I enjoy some paranormal if the plot/writing/characters are interesting or humouress/readable/engaging.

I like Charlie Huston, Glen Cook, Simon R. Green and even admit to reading Charlaine Harris.

I also like Robert B.Parker, Lee Childs, Janet Evanovich, Tony Hillerman, Margery Allingham, A. J Quinell, Stuart Woods and hundreds more.

Go figure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Sookie series got off to a great start but the last few books have been weak.

I loved Anne Rice's vampires. They were a diverse bunch with many different takes on living as long as they did and how to handle being a vampire. I actually liked her individual Vampire novels, like Pandora.

I enjoy how Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher portray vampires. (shrugs)

I like fantasy, what can I say. Witches, vampires, were wolfs are age old creatures that appear in literature and stories. Some are better then others.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Besides, they're only after your body anyway. Zombies, OTOH, love you for your BRAAAIIINNNSSSS.
LOL! Oh those poor undernourished zombies who get my brainnnnsssss ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Well, they shouldn't be able to get out of the car at that time since the sun would be out.
Exactly!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #27
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
In fact, maybe we need a new mythological character: A nymphomaniac that will die if they don't have fantastic sex every night...(Added to story ideas folder)
Yeah, Anita Blake. Laurell Hamilton beat ya.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
There are plenty of interesting vampires out there, from the dark russian ones by Lukyanenko or Jasper Kent. To SF vampires in Blindsight by Peter Watts.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't know why they are so popular right now, but I love these books.

Anne Rice is probably my favorite (no emasculated vampires there), but I also liked the Twilight series, the Vampire Academy, and I've read a ton of no name author vampire books (witches, werewolves, demons, and supernatural in general -- it's all good). I also like watching True Blood, and the Vampire Diaries. I don't know why I like them, but I do.

Let the Right One In was pretty good too.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i can't stand vampires. i think they're the lamest monster and theres literally nothing left to be done with them.

the entire premise of them is flawed. after centuries of life one would become twisted and warped after watching everything they knew and love die in front of them. they wouldnt be pretty and sparkly,waiting for the love of a virginal teen. more Necroscope, less Twilight.

as a horror fan i keep my eye on whats out there and i'm seeing some different "monsters" starting to pop up, stuff like sasquatches,mummies, apocalyptic scenarios and a return to the supernatural. i think the zombie genre is almost on its last legs (ooh i made a pun lol).
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade, true blood, twilight, vampires