Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there any reason that SVG couldn't be used for equations? It would seem like an ideal use for it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any reason that SVG couldn't be used for equations? It would seem like an ideal use for it!
yes of course it could, but I find it painfully slow: each equation must become a picture to import in your document, and if you have a lot of formulas and symbols it becomes a nightmare.

Latex is nowadays very popular in the sciences, and with the proliferation of WYSIWYG systems (including scientific workplace, that also integrates plot creating engines and actually solves and graphs equations)
it is really straightforward to export it as html of xhtml documents with MathML. Creating pdf files is even easier, so at the moment this is what you generally get - for academic papers, books and textbooks, lecture notes, exercise, etc.

I would so very much love to be able to produce and consume this kind of material as epub files, and I predict it would catch up very very quickly, at least within the academic community.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Nowdays, with tex\latex compilators usually available, Kile, Mktex etc., you can create pdf, ps, dvi, html, and maybe doc files (if i remember correctly). I have never seen a function that allow you compile a document in epub format.

Besides in scientific community a large amount of books are now in Djvu format... and this is the main reason for my choice of a PB e-reader.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
pdf, djvu...
(sigh)
Sometimes I *almost* wish SGML hadn't tanked.
Almost.
Mostly when we need to extract useful data or graphs from a paper or report.
Because (of course!) once a paper has been archived to "magical" pdf, there is no need to keep the original source.
Hopefully epub3 will allow extracting an editable document, as the current spec does. It may not be ideal or as useful as the original source document but at least it'll be better than printing-scanning-ocr'ing a pdf...
PDFs can't die fast enough to suit me.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote