Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Uh, this was announced and discussed ad infinitum a week or two ago.
I hate having to agree with Kali Yuga, but yes, very much so. In fact, I think there was more than one thread about it. In the interest of organization, we should probably utilize that thread if we need to discuss this (or flog the daylights out of that horse skeleton) further.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Party pooper.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
radeeo
radeeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Jetbook
Units are shipping earlier than expected...

I think the main point of the post is that these units are shipping earlier than expected. Amazon's original plan was to ship on May 3rd. It appears they are shipping out today instead.

I actually had an order placed for one, but changed my mind yesterday and decided to go with the ad-free wi-fi version, which I should receive tomorrow. Although I could use some of the Amazon coupons they have put up as examples, I just wasn't sure if I wanted a reading device with ads for the next 2-3 years. Plus, it's not clear how often "good" coupons will be offered.

It's been a tough decision for me, but I hope I like the Kindle and won't regret not getting a Sony instead. Nevertheless, I look forward to everyone's review of the ad-supported Kindle.
radeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeeo View Post
I think the main point of the post is that these units are shipping earlier than expected. Amazon's original plan was to ship on May 3rd. It appears they are shipping out today instead.
Mine shipped today. Will arrive Friday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
If the ads are only on the screensavers and home page, would they ever really bother anyone?

Granted, it isn't much of a discount and I do like having custom screen savers a great deal... .
you are quite right of course but there are so many overly sanctimonious folks around who love to see themselves up on the cross that will wail no end about this new evil ruining their reading "experience". But you are 100000% correct these will affect nobody in terms of reading.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I said this was going to happen about a year ago....it was just too easy to get them in there, and I believe that books will be next
for your reference:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ads

grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #22
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Saw this article earlier,

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226045750756

It mentions a bit of book history I wasn't aware of, although maybe David Copperfield was originally published to support advertisements in magazines?

Quote:
"David Copperfield mocks characters who spend too much time reading Burke's Peerage," said Leah Price, a professor of English Literature at Harvard University. "Beside the text there were adverts for the latest edition."

Descriptions of Miss Mowcher, purveyor of wigs and cosmetics, appeared alongside adverts for "a ventilating head of hair".

Needless to say, it was a far, far better wig than they had ever donned and a far, far less sweaty head that it gave the wearer than he had ever known.
If full screen ads appear in the middle of my books, I might consider downloading them for free and then stripping out the ads before reading.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I would've paid full price ($139) for one. It's not the discounted price, but the offers that are exclusive to this device. I expect to save at least $140 from the initial offers for products I already planned to buy at full price.

It's the offers
They should have charged $25 EXTRA!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I said this was going to happen about a year ago....it was just too easy to get them in there, and I believe that books will be next
Then the darknet will fill up not only with DRM disinfected commercial ebooks but also with DRM disinfected and ad free commercial ebooks.
Like DVDs and Blu Rays that are stripped of FBI WARNING! and trailers.

Just another incentive for people to turn to the darknet.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Like DVDs and Blu Rays that are stripped of FBI WARNING! and trailers.

Just another incentive for people to turn to the darknet.
I've grown to really hate commercial DVDs-- in 1999, the custom animated menus were pretty cool. Now, I just think that they are annoying, and prefer Divx rips to the real thing because they are actually more user friendly.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeeo View Post
It's been a tough decision for me, but I hope I like the Kindle and won't regret not getting a Sony instead. Nevertheless, I look forward to everyone's review of the ad-supported Kindle.
I think you'll like your Kindle. I have both a Sony 350 & a Kindle3. Personally I prefer my Sony because I like touch screens & the smallness of the 350, but I also like features of the Kindle3. The main thing is that either device is a nice reader.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Amazon is currently offering a $25 gift card with the purchase of a wifi+3G kindle for Mother's Day.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Amazon is currently offering a $25 gift card with the purchase of a wifi+3G kindle for Mother's Day.
And no discount for the WiFi only version. I think they want you to buy the ad supported version for $114.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
What's the pool on how many days it takes for the hackers to come up with a modification to remove the ads?
They probably already have.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
What surprised me was the price for this. I expected them to do it, but figured this would come in a $99 USD instead of $114. Honestly, I can't imagine buying this one for a mere $25 differential. Even if they NEVER put ads in books, it's still nothing I want for that price differential.
Just wait. I'm sure someone at Amazon is thinking "How come we offer a version with the Ads turned off and only charge $25 extra?".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote