Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Simply write to Toni Weisskopf or post a message in the TonisTable forum on Baens Bar.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
DRM was no problem in the Baen-Tor deal. All was set up and even started with a few books when a Holtzbrinck manager decided that no price less than 75% of the hardback price was acceptable.
I've not discussed it with any of the actual parties to the negotiation, but I believe that lack of DRM must have been one of the original reasons for the canceling of Baen-Tor project, or Patrick wouldn't have mentioned the new head of Holtzbrinck is against DRM at a panel at the convention. If it's true that Holtzbrinck is requiring ebook price to be at least 75% of the hardback price even after the paperback has been released, someone there is an idiot.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nobody is going to pay $19-$15 for an ebook when it's $7.99 at the bookstore without any discounts. That's just silly if Holtzbrinck thinks that's the case. It's bad enough when the ebook is priced too close to the paperback edition as it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #19
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It raises an interesting question, though. It's the same one EMI is answering right now in the music biz. Given a choice, would you rather pay 75% of hb prices for DRM-free e-books or pb prices for DRMed e-books?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
It raises an interesting question, though. It's the same one EMI is answering right now in the music biz. Given a choice, would you rather pay 75% of hb prices for DRM-free e-books or pb prices for DRMed e-books?
The short answer is neither; for hb books, right now the market price is not the cover price but the Amazon price (with free shipping since the conditions for it are light); so 75% of hb prices is meaningless.
Personally I think that no-drm books at high prices is a suicidal recipe
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I've not discussed it with any of the actual parties to the negotiation, but I believe that lack of DRM must have been one of the original reasons for the canceling of Baen-Tor project, or Patrick wouldn't have mentioned the new head of Holtzbrinck is against DRM at a panel at the convention. If it's true that Holtzbrinck is requiring ebook price to be at least 75% of the hardback price even after the paperback has been released, someone there is an idiot.
In this case we have direct word from Jim Baen himself (shortly before he died).
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
What are the execs at Holtzbrinck smoking??? I suppose 75% of the hardbound price might be ok when the book is only available in hardcover, but it's hardly going to fly once the book is available in paperback. And at that price, the "gift economy value" is still there. By this I mean that Baen books in general aren't worth much on the darknet in terms of geek value, because they aren't locked, you don't have to scan and OCR them, and they're reasonably priced, so you get no cred with the rest of the darknet if you try to give them away. But at US$18, someone willing to put down the money is going to be in for some amount of the nebulous value of the gift economy if they share.

(I'm not saying I encourage this behavior, or approve of it. I'm just predicting.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #23
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

It wasn't "the execs". It was a single exec. Publishers (especially big publishers) are a conservative lot.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #24
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Hi.

As one of the authors whose books was -- briefly -- available through Webscriptions, I have an interest at stake here. And it happens that I will be seeing Patrick next week, so I'll ask him what's going on (and what I can repeat in public).

(<em>I</em> want to see "The Clan Corporate" and "The Merchants War" on sale through Webscriptions too!)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Welcome to MobileRead, Charles; it's always good to see authors here. Please do let us know (if you're able to) what the outcome of that discussion is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #26
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
In fact, if you're not allowed to tell us anything... at least tell us that much. As in: "I spoke with Patrick. I asked about the status of this deal. I can neither confirm nor deny anything farther." That way we'd know not to be waiting for further info.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #27
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
I'll tell you whatever I can.

NB: my personal position is that DRM is deeply counterproductive for working authors and publishers, and the only beneficiaries are snake-oil salesmen in fly-by-night software companies (and the rent-seeking extortionists in certain trade bodies). However, I write for a living (it's my day job) and rule #1 of being a working novelist is, "don't piss off your editors" -- so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't force the issue.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad to have you here, cstross, and we certainly don't want you to do anything that would greatly disrupt your life and livelihood! We are, however, always interested in, you should pardon the expression, novel perspectives on the industry. We have one author who's a frequent poster and his perspectives are always interesting, but he's not one who works with a publishing house, so your insight on that aspect would be particularly interesting, as well as your perspective as an author in general.

Glad you found us, and decided it was worth your while to speak up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #29
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post

NB: my personal position is that DRM is deeply counterproductive for working authors and publishers, and the only beneficiaries are snake-oil salesmen in fly-by-night software companies (and the rent-seeking extortionists in certain trade bodies). However, I write for a living (it's my day job) and rule #1 of being a working novelist is, "don't piss off your editors" -- so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't force the issue.
Of course we'll forgive you if you don't force the issue. If you can't earn a living, we get far fewer yummy books to read! (Not that I'm self-centered or anything... ) The wording I suggested was designed to be usable even if you can't say anything else.

Here's hoping the whole thing comes back on again!
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post

Many of us have read (and pointed others toward) some of your blog posts on the subject. Naturally, no one wants you to jeopardize what puts food on your table! But we're all really hoping to see more publishers go the Baen route, so we're more than a little interested in any tidbits we can get about this and similar deals.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote