Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a black 650. I had ordered my skin thinking I would not like black but it turned out I do. I skinned it anyways and am enjoying it that way too.

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
It seems the 650 is out of stock everywhere, including the Sony store, unless you're willing to pay ridiculous prices or will settle for silver.
I'm confused. I thought the 650 only comes in black or red? If you can find any.

The 950 is silver and is commonly available. As is the silver 350. That's all I ever see in the stores. Other colors have to be ordered. I got my black 650 from credit card points, and ordered my pink 350 from Sony Style.

Last edited by elizilla; 04-09-2011 at 10:51 PM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
My mention of Sony's choice of silver had to do with the majority of available models in the States, not the 650. I was talking specifically about the 350 not being offered here in blue.

Re BestBuy: When I bought my 350, there was a PRS-650 card by an empty display spot in the store on 23rd St. and 6th Avenue in New York. Above and to the right of it, there was an ad for Sony readers which featured a black 650. There was also a third-party case for the 650 on their rack display.

I asked the salesperson if they expected to get more and he said possibly in a few months. I mentioned I wanted a black Sony eReader and he said they had only ever carried silver models.

My fault for not remembering that salespeople might say anything -- partly because they want you to make a purchase, but often because they genuinely don't know.

I think we all realize the PRS-650 is most reliably ordered from the Sony Store, and that the model pictured on their product page is black (or red, of course, though that would be almost as distracting as silver). Believe me, I called the store in New York in midtown and asked when they'd be getting more in stock when I saw that the web store didn't have it. The person I spoke with in CS said that he didn't know but that it "wasn't a priority," whatever that means.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #19
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
They sure do come in silver over here in good ol' Europe.

And there is the most adorable silver cover complimenting it.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Thanks for pointing out such interesting models, product pages and auctions. Always appreciated.

I like that cover and wouldn't mind buying one if it really were white, as it appears to be in the picture, rather than silver.

(The one thing I dislike about the Sony covers is the apparent flimsiness around the binder. I could see that becoming a problem with constant use.)

I'd have bought the blue 350 to which you were kind enough to link if the delivery charges weren't monumental (which often happens on eBay).

I'm getting used to the silver -- reluctantly -- but would pick up a black TuffLove rubber skin if I thought it would fit into the Sony case.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
They sure do come in silver over here in good ol' Europe.

Now I'm jealous. I love that silver & maroon? cover.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Now I'm jealous. I love that silver & maroon? cover.
No need to (silver & wine). It's for the 650. There is a nice green & sand one for the little one.

We pay a lot more for our readers, but we do get nicer options sometimes.

Last edited by Poppaea; 04-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If I could get that silver & wine cover I just might consider a 650 LOL Just kidding...I think.

I do like that sand & green cover though. Green is my favorite color.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
If I could get that silver & wine cover I just might consider a 650 LOL Just kidding...I think.

Just let me know and I will get you one. But it is quite a bit more expensive for you, please do remember that.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #25
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I love my matte black Daily Edition. I know it is superceded now, but no problems with distraction by the case.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

If you're convinced you won't ever have to return it to Sony, a few minutes work with a small paintbrush and matt black paint would do the job !

Or pink/vermillion/saffron..........................et al.

Bit though, I know.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #27
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Aha! I knew I couldn't be the first person to complain about this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126296

There's a rather interesting discussion on that thread about the pitfalls of skinning a silver 350. One problem encountered by the two most active posters was their choice in skins: They picked designs with conspicuous color contrasts and continuous overall composition and so had to be especially careful to make buttons and such line up.

A repeated and blurred pattern of like colors would seem to me to be better suited for that -- one that complimented silver, ideally, in case any of it peeked through. On the Decal Girl site, I've been looking at black woodgrain, saddle leather and croc skin (matte), as well as dark burlwood, blue lacquer and green lacquer (glossy).

Haven't quite decided which would go best with the blue Sony case and 350's silver touches yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #28
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:

Silver & wine turns out to be mint & plum
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Wasn't silver in the product description though?

I didn't think it looked silver, as I mentioned, but that shouldn't matter -- I assumed the photo must have been off because the color was listed as silver.

It seems to me that you should be able to get your money back since the case has been listed with the wrong color. Whatever the issue might be, it isn't your problem and has nothing to do with you personally. Anyone who bought the case expecting to see the advertised color will be equally dissatisfied. It would be like ordering a black case and receiving a blue one.

That case doesn't look silver:

This one for the K3 does:

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-13-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
-- until I realized I found it unpleasant to focus on an eInk screen surrounded by shiny silver.
Totally agree. I feel the same way and that's one of the reasons why I went with a Kindle over a Sony or Nook. I hate non-black/dark blue borders. I also hate the added expense of skinning.

I'm in the market for a black ePub reader for library books. I have my eye on Kobos being clearanced out at closing Borders stores. Currently at $70 and hoping they'll drop to $50 or $60 before selling out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote