Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
BorgDog
Tech Junkie
BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
There is no update option on the Kobo reader itself. You are notified of an available software update when you connect with the USB cable or wireless.
So basically whenever I connect the Kobo to the network via cable or wireless it checks the web for updates? I don't need Kobo desktop at all right? (it keeps messing up sideloaded books).
BorgDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgDog View Post
So basically whenever I connect the Kobo to the network via cable or wireless it checks the web for updates? I don't need Kobo desktop at all right? (it keeps messing up sideloaded books).
No, you need the desktop app running if you are connecting to your PC with the USB cable to get software updates. You don't need the desktop app if you are using the wireless.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
No update here. I've synced a few dozen times and even wiped the device clean. Still nothing.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #19
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Click on update library and that's how it worked for me.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Ive had the 1.9 for 4 or so days so far and no problems at all. Still dont know if the battery indicator issue was resolved but the goto and close books works well
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Ive had the 1.9 for 4 or so days so far and no problems at all. Still dont know if the battery indicator issue was resolved but the goto and close books works well
I haven't seen it yet either, but I have a Borders "branded" one, which as of last week, I've read haven't started getting the update yet which is annoying as the GOTO PAGE # is something that should've been in there from the get go!

Anyways have it on WiFi now, vainly hoping for an update... 1.74 popped up as soon as I turned on WiFi on mine OOB... IIRC it came with 1.7 or 1.71 (October 2010 dated).

...nope still nothing and its been sitting there with WiFi on for a while...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
My husband and I are still waiting on our firmware updates. I'm about to give up hope of ever seeing it!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I tried the trick of clicking the 'Sync' button on the Desktop, and after the 4th click, the update appeared.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
BorgDog
Tech Junkie
BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BorgDog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I got mine yesterday when I got back to civilization, just turned on the wireless and it popped up the message. So far so good.
BorgDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #25
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
There is no update option on the Kobo reader itself. You are notified of an available software update when you connect with the USB cable or wireless.
nothing for the black wifi kobo as of 11:55pm Mar 21 2011...

just tried to update over wireless...
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I tried to sync today. I hit it multiple times with nothing. I unplugged and then re-plugged...now Kobo can't recognize my reader database and it's been stuck on "processing data" for about 5 minutes now.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My entire database disappeared!!!!! Everything is gone!!! I'm so upset right now!!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #28
jonpitt
jonpitt began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I tried to sync today. I hit it multiple times with nothing. I unplugged and then re-plugged...now Kobo can't recognize my reader database and it's been stuck on "processing data" for about 5 minutes now.
It may be too late to help you, but I had some problems immediately after installing v1.9 too - my desktop application couldn't sync with my Kobo: just kept getting a message "We are unable to update your device's database. Syncing could not be completed".

After many attempts to sync without success (including doing a factory defaults reset on the Kobo, and losing some books....), I downloaded the latest Kobo desktop application file and installed this over the top of my existing desktop application.
I then tried to sync from the desktop and it proceeded as it should. Problem apparently solved!
jonpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Is there an update to the Kobo PC app as well? Is there finally a "search" feature? (I've been asking the Kobo folks for a loong time, and keep hoping it will be added.)
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpitt View Post
It may be too late to help you, but I had some problems immediately after installing v1.9 too - my desktop application couldn't sync with my Kobo: just kept getting a message "We are unable to update your device's database. Syncing could not be completed".

After many attempts to sync without success (including doing a factory defaults reset on the Kobo, and losing some books....), I downloaded the latest Kobo desktop application file and installed this over the top of my existing desktop application.
I then tried to sync from the desktop and it proceeded as it should. Problem apparently solved!
Yeah, I think Kobo just hates me, lol.

I had the newest desktop app downloaded (or rather I'd downloaded a new copy via their website. I tried again when I reached home. Same problem (but the database wasn't erased this time).