Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #16
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
As dwanthy says some actual title/author/isbn values will allow me to try to replicate your scenario and figure out what is going on.

The only other possibility I can think of is some sort of interaction going on in the "voodoo" that takes place in Calibre of merging results from the metadata download plugins. Maybe without the Goodreads plugin the tags being returned from the other plugins are being discarded, whereas with the Goodreads one enabled they are being merged. It sounds a bit funky but it is all I can think of from the steps you have described.

What dwanthy suggested above will test for that, or even more simply just disable all the other metadata download plugins except the Goodreads one. If you still get those tags with only the Goodreads plugin enabled then clearly I am completely and utterly wrong about it not being my plugin returning the tags.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
or even more simply just disable all the other metadata download plugins except the Goodreads one. If you still get those tags with only the Goodreads plugin enabled then clearly I am completely and utterly wrong about it not being my plugin returning the tags.
Much simpler.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #18
DagsJT
DagsJT began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Typically, I've just tried it again now with a fresh library and a random selection of books entered into the library. Installed the plugin and told it to only download social metadata and the tags are coming through fine

I'll keep messing around but clearly something was going wrong somewhere with my last library and it'd be good to find out where the problem was coming from.

Will keep you updated!
DagsJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #19
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, that is good to hear - you said random selection of books but did that include the same specific books you had issues with in your other library right?

Now try enabling the social metadata one by one on the other plugins you have enabled, starting with the Google Books one next which I think is the most likely source of the tags.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #20
DagsJT

To be honest, I can't remember the exact books that had their tags duplicated, one was an Agatha novel but that's all I can remember there.

What I'm doing now is going through all of the books I added in yesterday. I've deleted all of the tags and have done a Ctrl+D on them as a batch. It's just gathering results now but this is pretty much what I did to get the incorrect tags so if this works, then I've got no idea how to recreate the problem
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #21
DagsJT

GOT IT! Managed to recreate the problem with five books being tagged!

"Fiction, general, mystery & detective, traditional British, women sleuths" are all being entered into the five books I selected.

The books included in the batch are (these are the details after the Ctrl+D function performed on the books):

Quote:
Voyage of the Dawn Treader Read-Aloud Edition, The / Lewis, C. S. & Baynes, Pauline / 9780061714979

N or M? / Christie, Agatha / 9780062006660

Nemesis: A Miss Marple Mystery / Christie, Agatha / 9780061753831

Nerd Do Well / Pegg, Simon / 9780099551553

Octopussy / Fleming, Ian & Lawrence, Jim & Horak, Yaroslav / 9781840237436
After Ctrl+D was performed, all of the five books have been given the above tags.

Straight after tagging those books, I add in another book to the library:

Tourquai / Davys, Tim / No ISBN

And immediately the book was given:

Quote:
Tags: Fiction, General, Mystery & Detective, Traditional British, Women Sleuths
Like I say, that is from adding the book to the library. No metadata download has been done yet. So because the tags are there already, I'm guessing Goodreads isn't involved in this error, so it's probably a Calibre issue?

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-07-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
kiwidude

Excellent. I took the Agatha Christie book here:
N or M? / Christie, Agatha / 9780062006660

If I disable the Google Books plugin, the only tags I get are "Crime, Fiction, Mystery", which come from the Goodreads plugin.

If I enable both the Google Books and Goodreads plugins, I get:
"Beresford; Tommy (Fictitious character), Beresford; Tuppence (Fictitious character), Crime, Fiction, General, Married people, Mystery, Mystery & Detective, Private investigators, Traditional British, Women Sleuths"

If I disable the Goodreads plugin (Google Books enabled) I get:
"Beresford; Tommy (Fictitious character), Beresford; Tuppence (Fictitious character), Fiction, General, Married people, Mystery & Detective, Private investigators, Traditional British, Women Sleuths"

This is all behaviour that I would expect to see. The tags from Google books nasty as they are are doing what you would expect. If you don't want them, just disable the social metadata on the Google Books plugin or disable the plugin completely. In normal usage nowadays I only have the Gooodreads plugin enabled.

[EDIT] - Sorry, just saw the second half of your post, just trying an Add now....
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
DagsJT

I also edited the first part again, Kiwi. Wasn't expecting you to read my post so quick

If you can, do a batch metadata download on five books, but include the Agatha novel in that batch then tell me if all five books are tagged with the same tags (women sleuths etc). I found that every book, regardless of what it's about, was tagged with the same tags.

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-07-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #24
kiwidude

1. Exactly how are you "adding a book to your library"? Drag/drop, with one of the add menus or creating and empty book?
2. In Preferences->adding books, what if anything is in the field "Tags to apply when adding a book"?
3. What plugins/social metadata do you have enabled at the moment?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #25
DagsJT

1. Drag/drop into the main window.
2. Empty
3. Default when Calibre is freshly installed. Amazon, Google and ISBNDB as standard. And Goodreads, obviously.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #26
kiwidude

Ok, cool. I just managed to replicate the problem, so you will be relieved to know you are not going insane. Now I just need to figure out what caused it....
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #27
DagsJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Ok, cool. I just managed to replicate the problem, so you will be relieved to know you are not going insane. Now I just need to figure out what caused it....
Just to also confirm, adding books via "Add Books" also gives the new book the same tags.

Good to know I'm not going insane though!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #28
kiwidude

Ok, this looks like a bug in Calibre from recent changes being made to the metadata API, as on my laptop which has a version of Calibre a little older (0.7.46 but with some updates from source) I cannot replicate it. I certainly can replicate it on 0.7.48.

I'll raise a ticket. Thanks for your patience.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #29
DagsJT

That makes sense as the problem only started on .48 for me.

I'm glad it's not the Goodreads plugin anyway, I'd hate not to have the Series section filled in anymore
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #30
kiwidude

Ok, I figured out the problem, and will push a new version of the Goodreads plugin shortly that should fix it. I believe that Kovid may have changed some code and my plugin is now returning something it doesn't expect.