Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The only e-book store I have heard has not been cracked is Apples. I could be wrong. I know Kobo, BN, and Amazon can all be stripped. Since I had not heard anyone say Sony's was not cracked I have been assuming it can be.

Maybe no one has mentioned it because Sony's bookstore is awful and was more expensive before Agency Pricing so no one bothered cracking it. (evil grin)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
So true, ProfCrash. My daughter and I have had our K3s a very short time, but we've already bought books from Amazon, B&N, and Borders. I fail to see how DRM locking into one store/format is an advantage. I find calibre and plug-ins nicely bypass that issue.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If one buys a book from Sony's book store its encypted to work only on Sony ebook readers. I didn't think that the ebooks could be convereted to work on other readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash
I know Kobo, BN, and Amazon can all be stripped. Since I had not heard anyone say Sony's was not cracked I have been assuming it can be.
... no? I'm not sure why this misconception is so prevalent. Books bought from the Sony Reader Store are EPUBs with Adobe ADEPT DRM, just like Kobo, Diesel, BooksOnBoard, Borders, and just about every other bookstore that sells EPUBs other than B&N and Apple. Perhaps you're both thinking of Sony's proprietary BBeB format, which has been discontinued for some time now.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The question isn't what readers can read the Sony DRM it is can the Sony DRM be stripped.

I know Sonys can be read on the Nook and Kobo. I think it is the BN DRM that cannot be read on Sonys and Kobo. But the BN DRM can be stripped.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The question isn't what readers can read the Sony DRM it is can the Sony DRM be stripped.
Yes, the Sony DRM can be stripped, because it uses exactly the same DRM as most other EPUB-based bookstores such as Kobo, Adobe ADEPT DRM, and you already know that can be stripped.

B&N-DRM EPUBs can be read on the Nooks and the JetBook Lites. Both Nooks and Jetbook Lites can also read ADEPT DRM EPUBs. Apple's iBooks can be read only on iOS devices. All the other ereaders mentioned here, such as the Kobo and Sonys, support ADEPT DRM but not B&N DRM.

Last edited by viviena; 01-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I only asked because someone said they didn't think that the DRM could be stripped. My assumption was that it could be but I figured clarification is a good thing. I have a Kindle so I really don't know squate about the Adobe Adept DRM and if it is possible for companies to slightly tweak that. I error on the side of needing a sledgehammer to hammer in the answer. (winks)