Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Franky
Nameless Being

If that is ok, then the story that eink only uses power for going to the next page is not true. they stated that the reader can go up to 7000 page turnings per charge. i would like to see somebody who can do that.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
If that is ok, then the story that eink only uses power for going to the next page is not true. they stated that the reader can go up to 7000 page turnings per charge. i would like to see somebody who can do that.
It doesn't mean what you think it does, which confuses a lot of people.

Yes, it is true that the eInk display only uses power for going to the next page turn. However, there is a lot more running inside the device than just the display (CPU, memory.... etc). All of those other components continue to draw power in between pages.

Think of it like your desktop computer. You can turn off the monitor when you're not using it, which does save you some power, but the rest of the computer will still use power.

When the manufacturers advertise the fact that eInk only uses power when turning a page, what they really mean is that if you have two eBook readers side by side, one with eInk and the other with something like LCD. Then the eInk device will use less power because the display part doesn't need continuous power. They don't mean that an eInk eBook reader ONLY uses power when you turn a page.

You're right, measuring eBook readers battery usage in terms of pages is kind of silly. What it means is that if you sat there and turned pages without stopping, until it ran out of power, then you'd get about 7000 pages worth. Nobody really does that though (you'd probably drive yourself crazy trying it).

In the real world, how much time it spends in "wake" mode versus "sleep" mode probably has more to do with the overall battery life than how many pages you've turned. That's why I like to measure it in terms of the number of days on a charge with an average of X hours per day of use.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #18
Franky
Nameless Being

a very understandable explanation. thanks very much, Shaggy.
it gives me a better understanding.