Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Very nice combination and original thinking.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Very nice combination and original thinking.
Thank you! After a month of daily use, I still love this cover! It fits the 950 snugly so I know it's protected well.

The only thing I might do differently is that I have since learned that you can request them not to add the felt panel on the inside cover by indicating "wool allergy". It tends to attract cat hair but then again what doesn't attract cat hair?!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I still don't understand why anyone would opt for a cover other than the Sony 950 Cover which is made to suit.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I like the cover design of the Oberon (small journal) I use for my 650, rather than a plain, boring Sony one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 47.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	63173  
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like to express my personality. The Sony 950 cover is a good product too, and if it works for you then that's perfect. I know people have been especially raving about the lighted-version. If the Sony 950 cover came in colors other than black, then it would have been a better option for me. Look at how BN has a variety of styles and designer labels for their Nook Covers. The Kindle has a rainbow of color options for its standard cover. Choices are good.
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I still don't understand why anyone would opt for a cover other than the Sony 950 Cover which is made to suit.
Because people have different preferences. Life would be awfully boring if we all liked the same things. What if Bookworm_Girl had bought a theoretical Oberon cover that was made for the 950, would you understand that?
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Apparently you missed my point.

I was expressing surprise that people seek jury-rigged covers that may be less than ideal when a perfectly suited cover is readily and affordably available.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:

I was expressing surprise that people seek jury-rigged covers that may be less than ideal when a perfectly suited cover is readily and affordably available.
Thanks for explaining. The effort that some people go to in order to develop a custom cover is too much time and inconvenience to me. That's why I picked one that is sized for a different ereader but still a good fit. However, I can understand that some people see it as a challenge and outlet for their creativity to develop a custom cover, especially if they are the type of person who likes to tinker and make things and have the supplies around the house to do so.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
The leather cover is really beautiful. Using the version for the Kindle 2 was a great idea. http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle2.php

Presently, there are few choices for covering the 950 with other than the official Sony item. It includes pouches http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046SHT60/...SIN=B0046SHT60 , perhaps an older 900 case, and BookArmor hard shell http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor950.htm cover. Each method has differences in cost, weight, amount of protection offered, and appearance.

Some of the homemade covers are equally nice and really show off the creative talents of our forum members.

Hopefully, in the future we will have an even greater selection.

Last edited by gardenstate; 12-20-2010 at 02:31 PM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

Ah, thank you for clarifying. While I'm glad you find the Sony cover ideal, it's not ideal for me. It doesn't have as much protection on the sides as I'd like, partly because it doesn't have a clasp to keep it closed. In addition, from the reviews I've read here the hinge is a bit flimsy, somewhat prone to breaking, and potentially allows the reader to pop out if dropped. Also, purely cosmetically, my ideal includes something not straight up black. I would rather go to a little bit of trouble to figure out something I'm very happy with.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
If you do not want a black cover, perhaps you could get something like the BookArmor cover and attach a netbook "skin" to it.

Example:
http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/53937
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #27
natasha_fawn
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
If you do not want a black cover, perhaps you could get something like the BookArmor cover and attach a netbook "skin" to it.

Example:
http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/53937
That's a neat idea, I bet it'll come in handy for someone. For myself, I've already got a "jury-rigged" cover worked out. Just waiting on it, now.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #28
Verana
Verana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950
I just got an Oberon Nook Color cover for my Sony 950. It seems to fit pretty much the same way the Kindle 2 cover does. I love it.
Verana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verana View Post
I just got an Oberon Nook Color cover for my Sony 950. It seems to fit pretty much the same way the Kindle 2 cover does. I love it.
Verana, thanks for letting us know that the Nook Color size works too! The Nook Color cover wasn't available when I purchased mine, and Oberon wasn't sure if they were going to offer that model.

Here's an update to the dimension comparison (inches):

Nook color -- 8.1 X 5.0 X 0.48
Kindle 2 -- 8.0 x 5.3 x 0.36
Sony 950 -- 7.9 x 5.0 x 0.38
Nook classic -- 7.7 x 4.9 x 0.50
Kindle 3 -- 7.5 x 4.8 x 0.34
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #30
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Oberon Kindle 2 Cover for 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was only worried about the straps covering the screen too when I bought it and didn't think about the switches either. There really isn't enough friction for the strap to accidentally press the power switch. It really fits quite nicely - not too loose and not too tight. I shook it around a bit, and I don't think it will fall out. If the cover is latched, then it is definitely secure.

Cats never knock anything off shelves, even hypothetically! Ok, I can't say that last sentence with a straight face. My cat enjoys pushing pens and smaller objects off tables. Luckily she's never tried a book although I'm just waiting for that day to come. The combination of the ereader and cover seems kind of heavy for her to be able to push.
Ordered the same cover in "Willow" color "River Garden" a month ago. Very similar reactions as Bookworm Girl. The upper right strap seem to become easier to slip over with use. The 950 is very securely attached, and the on/off switch is easily accessed with a finger nail-same is true of the wifi switch. Volume switch is not as easily accessed as the other two. Straps do not cover the screen. It is an attractive, well designed cover and the customer service is wonderful.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote