Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'd have to say the best translated books I've ever read (both originally in Japanese) are:

Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen and Haruki Murakami's Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I must share this one. It's a review on the Penguin version of the Count of Monte Cristo. A 1-star review at that:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RK6OQ9T...tag=&linkCode=

You should read the entire review, but be sure you secure yourself upon your seat, or you'll fall off!
LOL . I love it. I think the author is joking, but one never can be too sure...

To answer your other question, by the way - I've now bought the Kindle version of the Buss translation and it's definitely Mobi, so no worries there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Penguin/Robin Buss translation of Monte Cristo reads astoundingly well.

I also really like Elizabeth Abbot's translation of The Saragossa Manuscript. Unfortunately, it's out of print. Abbot's version is more humorous than the Ian Maclean version on shelves today.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
The Swedish translation from the German of "Austerlitz" by W. G. Sebald. The original must be a front-runner for the worst book ever written. The Swedish translator actually made it worse than the original. My (Swedish) wife is a teacher of german, and I read Swedish well and German after a fashion. We compared the two. In the Swedish version one sentence actually occupied over a page and a half.

So the translator made an even more worthless translation of a totally worthless book.

James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but I must share this one. It's a review on the Penguin version of the Count of Monte Cristo. A 1-star review at that:
Quote:
And Monte Cristo isn't even a vampire.
Hee. It's like watching performance art!

Quote:
Now you may ask how come I didn't just order it on Amazon, but everyone knows that if you order a product online your bank account will be drained.
That is some quality review trolling right there. And the reviewer, if serious, should probably go watch Gankutsuou, the animated version with the Count as a futuristic undead maybe-vampire IN SPAAACE!*

As for good translation/bad translation noms:

WORST ever professionally published translation I've personally read: Mercedes Lackey's By the Sword, translated as Par le Fer by Rosalie Guillaume, and reprinted not once, but twice!

Now, there's nothing technically wrong with the translation, besides the part where it takes a 492 pg paperback book down to a mere 344 pages, not by using tiny squinty print, but by simply omitting the vast majority of the actual book, turning it into a sort of Readers' Digest Condensed Edition.

All that lavish scene-setting description and detail and dialogue and character introspection? Poof! Gone! Who needs it as long as you've got the bare bones of the action, hein?

On the flipside, Patrick Couton does wonderful translations of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, especially with the names, which usually Mean Something in English. So Corporal Littlebottom becomes "Petitcul", and the dwarf name "Stronginthearm" is "Fortinbras", and everyone's favourite wizzard Rincewind is "Rincevent".

He also translates the jokes, too. In Feet of Clay, there's a joke about the priest lying there dead, "and him a holy man, lying! tsk", which isn't literally translated, but there's an equivalent joke that makes sense in French put into the same place (can't remember what it is, copy's at the library).

* For the record, I liked Gankutsuou and have also seen the Gérard Dépardieu Monte Cristo. But that wasn't nearly as fun as futuristic undead maybe-vampires IN SPAAACE!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Just responded to a thread where the Penguin Classics edition of Ulysses was $0.99 at Amazon; and now I'm finding the same price for the here-discussed Buss translation of Monte Cristo:
http://www.amazon.com/Count-Cristo-P...6861827&sr=1-2

Any thoughts about where these prices are coming from?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LOL . I love it. I think the author is joking, but one never can be too sure...
It's a good laugh anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To answer your other question, by the way - I've now bought the Kindle version of the Buss translation and it's definitely Mobi, so no worries there!
Good, time to order it then!

Edit: and done! That one-click ordering is dangerous!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #23
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RK6OQ9T...tag=&linkCode=

You should read the entire review, but be sure you secure yourself upon your seat, or you'll fall off!

The responses were funny, I particularly liked this one.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #24
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Maybe this will be a bit clouded by nostalgia, but I have a book of Michael Ende's short stories which I adored as a child. When I came to read his original narrations, that translation stood up to par with his original work.

As an amateur translator, that book is something I try to keep in mind while working in a text.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #25
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'd have to say the best translated books I've ever read (both originally in Japanese) are:

Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen and Haruki Murakami's Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World
They are favourites of mine, too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #26
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm going to have to go with "Spring Snow" by Yukio Mishima, and "The Wind-up Bird Chronicles", by Haruki Murakami.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #27
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Best translation ever (for me) is "Les histoires comme ça" -from the original "Just so stories" by R. Kipling- by Fabulet et D'Humières; almost as beautiful as the orginal English! (& Kipling himself loved it).
My father read them to me often when I was a kid & I did likewise w/ my own ones...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
For me two books, the Robert Fitzgerarld translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey. In my opinion these translations are closer to the Homeric texts.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #29
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
For me two books, the Robert Fitzgerarld translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey. In my opinion these translations are closer to the Homeric texts.
Totally agree. I think the Fitzgerald translations set the bar for everything else that follows.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Totally agree. I think the Fitzgerald translations set the bar for everything else that follows.
Hmm. I'm a big Fagles fan, but two recommendations in a row make this worth checking out.

Just on the openings though,

Fitzgerald:
Quote:
Anger be now your song, immortal one,
Akhilleus’ anger, doomed and ruinous,
that caused the Akhaians loss on bitter loss
and crowded brave souls into the undergloom,
leaving so many dead men — carrion
for dogs and birds; and the will of Zeus was done.
Begin it when the two men first contending
broke with one another —
the Lord Marshal
Agamémnon, Atreus’ son, and Prince Akhilleus. . . .
Fagles:
Quote:
Rage — Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus’ son Achilles,
murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses,
hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
great fighters’ souls, but made their bodies carrion,
feasts for the dogs and birds,
and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end.
Begin, Muse, when the two first broke and clashed,
Agamemnon lord of men and brilliant Achilles. . . .
I find that the second makes me want to read the rest of the book, more than the first does. Perhaps a more populist translation.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote