Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Just FYI for Kobo/calibre users...

There is no need to convert epub-to-epub to set widows/orphans to zero. See this post for details.

It should work equally well for all Kobo devices.
Thanks for link, but in my converting I also change the minimum line height, add line-height into the extra settings and add my own font. It's working exactly as I want now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@josieb1

Just for my interest, I wonder why you feel the need to hard-code embedded fonts and line-height in calibre. Do the Kobo on-device settings for font and line-height not work for you?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@josieb1

Just for my interest, I wonder why you feel the need to hard-code embedded fonts and line-height in calibre. Do the Kobo on-device settings for font and line-height not work for you?
I didn't expect to have to when I first got my Kobo. I added normal epubs via Calibre (most of my reading is side loaded epubs, bought direct from publishers and AllRomance) but I couldn't change the line height using the Kobo settings so I ended up with squashed text which for me was barely readable. Plus I ended up with great big blank spaces at the bottom of each page, sometimes as much as a third of the page.

It was only investigating the line height issue that led me to the blog I linked. Since then by changing the minimum line height to 180 from 120 and inserting the words line-height I can now change the line height (although I think just changing the 120 to 180 has achieved what I needed) plus adding the code for widows an orphans eliminated the footer issue.

Adding my own font is just another thing I did as I use the same font on my paperwhite.

It was the line-height issue that was my biggest problem and apparently that's just a side loaded ePub problem.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-27-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it's tricky when trying to trying to make sure a book will read optimally on all the different devices you currently own (or may possibly own in the future).

I've found with Kobo less hard-coded css is best, I don't own a Kindle but it seems to have very few on-device adjustments so I guess you have to hard-code more. My Sonys were somewhere in-between and don't get me started on css in the various Android reading apps
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

It was literally just the line height issue, I could have lived with the rest but since what I do now seems to work I just automatically convert to ePub with those settings set up in preferences. I always buy mobi files so it always epub I am converting too.

Funnily enough reading the Pocket Articles (which is fan fiction) perfectly fine.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-27-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes it's tricky when trying to trying to make sure a book will read optimally on all the different devices you currently own (or may possibly own in the future).

I've found with Kobo less hard-coded css is best, I don't own a Kindle but it seems to have very few on-device adjustments so I guess you have to hard-code more. My Sonys were somewhere in-between and don't get me started on css in the various Android reading apps
I never hard coded anything on my Paperwhite or Kindle Keyboard, I just added my own font. I never did any hard coding on my Sony either, or for reading on my Nook HD tablet, it's just the kobo I've had to do it for. I don't understand code so the less I have to fiddle with the better.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I have to confess to probably being pickier about styling than most and definitely pickier than is good for me
Old 11-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
@josieb1

Answeringl for myself... NO, personally I find Kobo's minimum line-height to be crap. I hard code the line-height at 1.05em. I don't bother with embedded fonts since you can add your font onto the Kobo.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Answeringl for myself... NO, personally I find Kobo's minimum line-height to be crap. I hard code the line-height at 1.05em. I don't bother with embedded fonts since you can add your font onto the Kobo.
Have you checked with the latest firmware? The minimum settable is now 1.0. The next two are 1.05 and 1.07.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Answeringl for myself... NO, personally I find Kobo's minimum line-height to be crap. I hard code the line-height at 1.05em.
I guess if you prefer the line spacing that tight then the Kobo Patcher is a good option, but only if you're comfortable hacking and, as far as I know, only available for Kobos earlier than the Aura6" so far. Perhaps if/when the firmwares for Aura6" and the rest converge it will be available for all.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #26
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you checked with the latest firmware? The minimum settable is now 1.0. The next two are 1.05 and 1.07.
I'm running 3.0. The line spacing is not 1.0, or if it is it sure isn't in ems. I get a much tighter spacing with 1.05 than I see in the untouched book I just looked at with the spacing in the Kobo set to it's minimum and no line-height specified in the epub.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

My line spacing with Kobo's own setting was so tight the words almost touched each other, and the Kobo line spacing slider wouldn't work with side loaded epubs. If I hadn't been able to find out about changing the setting in Calibre and reformatting the epub I might even have returned my Aura (I do have pin holes so I have cause for a refund) but reformatting the epubs now allows a standard decent line height and the slider now works.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I'm running 3.0. The line spacing is not 1.0, or if it is it sure isn't in ems. I get a much tighter spacing with 1.05 than I see in the untouched book I just looked at with the spacing in the Kobo set to it's minimum and no line-height specified in the epub.
Kobo have changed the linespacing in fw 2.10.0 and later compared to fw 2.8.1 and earlier (not sure about 2.9 as I never used that).

The new method is a scale from 1.0 to 3.0, but it no longer corresponds to the CSS line-height in em. The new minimum line spacing of 1.0 seems to be about the same as the old minimum of 1.3 with most fonts, while oddly they have increased the maximum spacing.

However there are some good things about the new method: it is now possible to set the readingLineHeight in the configuration file lower than 1.0, it used to be limited to 1.225; and the line spacing patch (which lets you choose any range of line spacings you want) works much better with fw 2.10.0 and later than it did with 2.8.1. With 2.8.1 some kepubs had problems if you set the line spacing below 1.225, but now all kepubs seem to work with any line spacing just as well as epubs.

Edit: I think setting readingLineHeight to 0.8 would give you a CSS line height of about 1.05em, but it might depend on which font you are using.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-28-2013 at 01:51 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My line spacing with Kobo's own setting was so tight the words almost touched each other, and the Kobo line spacing slider wouldn't work with side loaded epubs. If I hadn't been able to find out about changing the setting in Calibre and reformatting the epub I might even have returned my Aura (I do have pin holes so I have cause for a refund) but reformatting the epubs now allows a standard decent line height and the slider now works.
If changing the line spacing, margin or font settings do not have an effect on the book you are reading, that means these values are set inside the book using absolute units. I usually strip these out, or change them to relative units, so that I can adjust them as I read.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-28-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #30
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Thanks

Did not think the aura was patchable yet? At least not totally safely. Will check out the debs corner.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote