Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm having issues with Verizon's home service today. And Chase bank is ticking me off as well (I miss WAMU).
You and me BOTH!! I dislike the way Chase does business...Wamu was very pleasant to deal with and always seemed to want to be helpful.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Can you make it plain you're only talking about the US market?

Amazon's additional pricing for international markets puts it above the independent competition in most cases.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Excellent! Thank you. This is exactly matching my intuition and the reason for purchasing a Kindle2 even after my Sony 505 and Astak PP.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
You and me BOTH!! I dislike the way Chase does business...Wamu was very pleasant to deal with and always seemed to want to be helpful.
I will never use Chase again. They did me wrong, like Blockbuster. Never again!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How do the figures change when you add the $2 that Amazon charge everybody outside the USA?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #21
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Can you make it plain you're only talking about the US market?

Amazon's additional pricing for international markets puts it above the independent competition in most cases.
You can avoid the extra fee by simply changing your country under "Manage Your Kindle" and copying the book via USB. You often need to do the same to avoid geographic restrictions on other sites like Fictionwise.

By the way, which sites are cheaper than Amazon once the international fee is included?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do the figures change when you add the $2 that Amazon charge everybody outside the USA?
The bounds of this study/data were set as in the USA in order to do a somewhat valid comparison.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

Let's start our own bank!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I would like to thank you for the hard work involved, and I hope you will consider do this analysis on a quarterly basis.

Of course the reward for a job well done is more work , so, would you consider creating an 'avid user' profile, i.e. someone who would make use of such things as fictionwise club discounts.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
You can avoid the extra fee by simply changing your country under "Manage Your Kindle" and copying the book via USB. You often need to do the same to avoid geographic restrictions on other sites like Fictionwise.
Quite apart from it being a breach of contract (and I'm sure we'll hear Amazon banning people for it sooner or later) and downright illegal in many countries, that's a kindle-only trick. Kindle-for-PC uses geolocation..
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
marvmax
marvmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 8gb
Hey congratulations on the new blog. It looks like a great idea. I'm bookmarking it. I like that Amazon pricing scheme looks so good. I just bought an iPod and one thing that help push me over the edge was the Amazon lets iPods access their Kindle Content.

I'm wondering if everyone that is complaining about the change in Fictionwise pricing realizes the they were bought by Barnes & Noble recently? Could that be driving the change in pricing?

I would be interested in your views about Webscriptions that sell mostly Baen Publishing's books but have started offering books from other publishers as well. Baen offers their books, the dead tree releases, in an electronic format at the same time, or even a couple of weeks before the dead tree release, at a substantial discount. If they're right we're really getting ripped off by all other publishers when we pay for their books, but apparently we're not getting ripped off as much at Amazon.
marvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #27
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Quite apart from it being a breach of contract (and I'm sure we'll hear Amazon banning people for it sooner or later) and downright illegal in many countries, that's a kindle-only trick. Kindle-for-PC uses geolocation..
You can do it on Kindle for PC with a proxy server as well.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #28
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Hey everyone - thanks for your comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this stuff interesting.

I have updated the post to clarify that this data reflects pricing and availability for US buyers only.

Adding the roaming charge of $1.99 would be interesting, but do BN.com and Sony's eBook Store sell to non-US customers? Perhaps it would be fairer to compare Waterstones, WHSmith and Borders UK to Amazon's roaming prices, but we don't have that data yet.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
DawnFalcon
Banned

It tends to be the independent stores which are best value for UK buyers ime.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
anurag,

Thanks for posting your research. This was very interesting.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook pricing, inkmesh