Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Speaking of turning pages in the cold, well luckily I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP (assisted breathing device that attaches to my face with a little mask). I can read my backlit EB-1150 under the covers on cold nights and get my air from outside without suffocating. Sort of like scuba diving for bookworms!

Happy Weekend, Everybody!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
jamh
jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Sorry, man, the best stand ever was already published by me ;P

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19418

There are already zillions of these around. Only nobody tells XD
Nice one.

I've been using my stand for a couple of days. I usually start with it on a pillow, then after an hour or so, I go sideways (it rests nicely sideways too) under the blankets, the turning point, after which I don't remember much

On the matter of turning pages, I wonder if we can't simply have something like this:
+ A program starts counting the time between page turns.
+ At some point, it figures it knows enough (average, std dev, whatever).
+ The next time around it writes at the bottom "turning page in x sec, press enter to disable".
+ If you don't do anything, that means you're ok with it, and it turns it for you.
+ Add a fudge factor so you're not panicking every time you get to the last line. Hahaha.
jamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamh View Post
On the matter of turning pages, I wonder if we can't simply have something like this:
+ A program starts counting the time between page turns.
+ At some point, it figures it knows enough (average, std dev, whatever).
+ The next time around it writes at the bottom "turning page in x sec, press enter to disable".
+ If you don't do anything, that means you're ok with it, and it turns it for you.
+ Add a fudge factor so you're not panicking every time you get to the last line. Hahaha.
The jet book has an auto page turn feature. I'm not sure exactally how it works, but I am getting a review unit and will give it a try.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamh View Post

Nope, bad idea. I would fall asleep, it would eventually thumb to the end of the book, and then I'd have to start over again in the morning.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nope, bad idea. I would fall asleep, it would eventually thumb to the end of the book, and then I'd have to start over again in the morning.
yeh, that would happen to me too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I have been thinking about arranging something like a shooting cable for a reflex camera. Purely mechanic, no software involved. Have not thought much about it, but I don't see why it should not work. Problem is that the cable would be rigid and not to comfortable, and would need to be double if back turning was wanted (which I don't).

The tricky part should be to design an esay to attach and unattach button base for the PRS and a security system to avoid over pressing.

I'll give it some thought, but any idea is welcome.

A normal shooting cable is like 52 cm long and has a conic thread, which makes it easier to screw it to many different nuts or wing nuts or just a hole in metal. I am thinking about some kind of metal clip, like a rectangular tin plate folded in a "c" shape that would hold to the reader from below, so that the back button is free. It would need some, say 3 mm thick rubber piece, to match the round shape of the button on the outside and keep the clip both in place and separated from the button, and a 1 mm rubber piece with some tin on top to push the button. The rubber would protect the button and the tin would protect the rubber from the shooter's poke.

This can be done and it should work, but I'll try to find some easier way to do make it...

Again, suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Peto; 04-11-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #22
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I am currently reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I find the descriptions of building the Cathedral fascinating. Perhaps one day a book will be written about your magnanimous book stand.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #23
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I'll give it some thought, but any idea is welcome.
There is a strap you can attach to cameras without the thread in the shutter (such as point and shoots, or modern SLRs which usually utilise a remote or a socket separate to the shutter) which has the a little nubbin on it into which you screw the cable release, which then pushes the other side of the nubbin into the button.

If that's not clear (I just read it back to myself; it isn't ), then a shot of one will show you what I mean:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Strap_On_.html
(Enlarge the picture).

Perhaps the strap is long enough to fully wrap around the required device, but otherwise you could perhaps remove the velcro strap and adapt the button.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #24
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Well, that strap, with a rubber end to protect the PRS button from the poke of the shooter, could perfectly do just by getting a longer velcro. The only doubt is the flexibility of that velcro, that might yield away from the button instead of pressing it. Otherwise, it is an easy on and off system. I think there is a good prototype there.

Maybe with some sticky velcro and an acetate film, to compose a rigid belt around the Reader, it might work ok.

Good idea.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
a little nubbin
is "nubbin" a real word ? it sounds like someone mozzled it on a dare. it's like "dongle". i like it. i'm going to try to use it as much as possible from now on.

This remark was brought to you by the International Committee for Off-Topic and Pointless Comments (ICOTPC). We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #26
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm going to start a poll to find out how many people use a "book stand". I've never used one in my life and don't really see the point of them, except, perhaps, for people with arthritis or some other reason they have might have difficulty holding a book.
Harry,
Not feeling sorry for myself but at a week shy of my 75th birthday, having Parkinson's disease and being an ESRD patient on hemodialysis three days a week a good book stand is a godsend. Until you have tried to read with only one hand available you simply have no idea.

That being said a good bookstand, though a bit more expensive than the one in the thread starter - and one with a great deal more adaptability can be found at:

http://www.bookholder.net/agent.cgi?agent=10469
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #27
jamh
jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I am currently reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I find the descriptions of building the Cathedral fascinating. Perhaps one day a book will be written about your magnanimous book stand.
That is faw-knee!
jamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
is "nubbin" a real word ? it sounds like someone mozzled it on a dare. it's like "dongle". i like it. i'm going to try to use it as much as possible from now on.
Of course "nubbin" is a real word. It's in every dictionary I looked into. Online Merriam-Webster says that it is derived from "nub" and means:
Quote:
1 : something (as an ear of Indian corn) that is small for its kind, stunted, undeveloped, or imperfect
2 : a small usually projecting part or bit
It's the #2 definition that I normally mean when I use the word.

Last edited by Elsi; 06-11-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, if i turn on my side and lean it against a pillow, i can pull the quilt up quite high and then hide my hand under the pillow... in the end only my thumb is really exposed, for turning the pages, and when it gets too cold i change hands.

it's been quite chilly here this winter, i've got a very sophisticated system worked out.
Ditto. Here it is, April 13th, and I can still see snow outside my window
I've got it down to a science --- when I go to push the page turn button on my Sony, I'm able to do it by only exposing my thumb or index finger out from under the quilt!

The problem with being so cozy is this, though: I last only about ten minutes before I nod off. I then startle myself awake when the Sony Reader tumbles over. I put the reader on the bedside stand, turn off the light, and think I'm about to get a good seven hours of sleep.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote