Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #16
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
You shouldn't be to skeptical. I confirm that the replacement K is refurbished, not brand new, but it works just fine!
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #17
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Since some people I know Have recieved Replacements & HAVE NOT been returning the old unit! I would say CS is Correct! 1 was dropped & one sat on & 1 just died! LOL
And have they not been charged for them?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #18
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
And have they not been charged for them?
all free.

(no, actually I paid the VAT.)
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Does it matter, as long as it works and your broken Kindle isn't brand new, then it seems more than fair.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
You shouldn't be to skeptical. I confirm that the replacement K is refurbished, not brand new, but it works just fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Does it matter, as long as it works and your broken Kindle isn't brand new, then it seems more than fair.

But obviously for OP it does matter. He is not interested in "fair", nor in our opinion, as it is. He just wants a brand new Kindle for free.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My husband's replacement Kindle was brand new (his fell off of the roof of our car), as per the Amazon CS rep. My understanding is that the replacement I'll be getting next week, due to fading keyboard letters, will also be brand new. I did not ask whether it was a referb or not, but the CS said they were aware of the issue with some Kindles and that the "newer models" no longer have that problem.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-600, MOTOROLA PHOTON & Toshiba Thrive
im relatively new here but feel like this is why some people have hard times in forums. When i read the above thread I did not read of anyone looking to get "something for nothing" it seemed to be questioning the honesty of the CS representative rather than worried about getting new for not so new. All of us at one time or another with ANY electronic we have purchased, traded, sold or just plain old played with have heard stories from people who "swear by the product" to others who would "stay away from that if i were you" so really isnt it more of a case of how one perceives it and buyer beware rather than look im going to buy this product because if i break it oh well i will get a brand new one. example- you purchase a brand new (newest software generation) phone- it needs to be replaced, the insurance company can (and most likely will) send you a refurbished one (of a lesser software generation) as a fair replacement. you paid full price shouldnt you get the quality that you paid for? if you bought x and x was defective wouldnt you want x as a replacement. I get that some people would attempt to get things for free but I would beware of anything customer service reps tell people because whenever you talk to a different rep.....at least 50 percent of the time you will get a different story. If amazon stands behind their product then the buyer will be satisfied if not well there are other companies that will and just as many other customer's opinions about which company will do just that for you. Hope this does not offend anyone and p.s I love refurb.
jleliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My husband's replacement Kindle was brand new (his fell off of the roof of our car), as per the Amazon CS rep. My understanding is that the replacement I'll be getting next week, due to fading keyboard letters, will also be brand new. I did not ask whether it was a referb or not, but the CS said they were aware of the issue with some Kindles and that the "newer models" no longer have that problem.
It turns out that my replacement is not brand new...at least not if the "R" in the tree truly does mean "Refurbished". Plus, I received a USB cable, but not the wall charger nor the instruction booklet.

That being said, the unit looks great, and there is no obvious sign of use. I think (and hope) that I'll get to enjoy this Kindle as much as I did my original, if not more.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleliekelly View Post
im relatively new here but feel like this is why some people have hard times in forums. When i read the above thread I did not read of anyone looking to get "something for nothing" it seemed to be questioning the honesty of the CS representative rather than worried about getting new for not so new.
This is my impression, too. The OP didn't ask for a brand new unit. The CS representative volunteered that the unit the OP would get would be fresh off the line. Personally, I would've simply accepted the statement and only have said something if there was something "off" about the unit when I got it, but I can understand some healthy skepticism. And I'm a little taken aback by the hostility the OP was met with, given the benign nature of the post.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
a tad OT but I used to work in retail. If a product is used and returned it goes back on the shelf. Naturally if it is something that shows physical wear and tear that might be one thing but a fair percentage of what is sold in stores is actually used equipment.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #26
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
It turns out that my replacement is not brand new...at least not if the "R" in the tree truly does mean "Refurbished". Plus, I received a USB cable, but not the wall charger nor the instruction booklet.

That being said, the unit looks great, and there is no obvious sign of use. I think (and hope) that I'll get to enjoy this Kindle as much as I did my original, if not more.

(I was surprised that you said you'd got a brand new K in your earlier post)
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I think your CS person may just have been ignorant and told you what he thought without ever having checked. When I rang Amazon about the problems with my K3 that turned out to be due to the cover, it took me three goes before I got to talk to someone who was clued up and genuinely helpful. They were all polite and friendly, but only one knew what was what.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I also received a replacement Kindle that was missing the instruction booklet. I'm happy with the replacement but it looks different from the one I sent back. The letters feel raised and it's shinier (if that's even possible, could me my 4 eyes playing tricks on me )

I've only had one problem with it and I'm not sure if it's my usb port or the Kindles usd cord, or the Kindle itself. Whenever I plug it in to my computer it disconnects and reconnects to the computer on it's own. It happens about 5-6 times and then it reconnects and it's fine after that. If the problem persists I might need to replace my replacement
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
Nyssa
Series Addict

I would definitely ask Amazon's CS about it, after checking another USB device with that particular port, if possible.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #30
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My kindle screen went bad and I called CS and within 5 minutes they submitted an overnight order for a replacement. When it arrived, there was no indication it was refurbished. I did not discuss with the CSR if it was refurbished or not and don't really care.

However, it wasn't a completely new retail package. It only came with the usb cable. Again, no problem.

After about 20 or so days, when I still hadn't returned the old one (I'm a procrastinator), I received an email reminding me to return the old one or I would be charged for it. I returned it. Even if they let me keep it, it would have only been a paper weight.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote