Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #16
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Will they ship a NC to a non US address or will I have to get someone to do it for me? Thinking of getting one of these to 'play' on.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Are there easy to follow directions online to undo?

If I root it, can I still use the B&N book app for reading the children's books? Are the children's books epubs?

Thanks,
Marcy
Yes, I believe you still can. I am pretty sure I have read about people with rooted NCs using the read to me books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Will they ship a NC to a non US address or will I have to get someone to do it for me? Thinking of getting one of these to 'play' on.
Unless B&N changed that, no I think you have to use a routing company. I think you just use their address and in turn they ship it to you. Or you can order one from someplace else. I saw some on ebay and some are already rooted.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
My comments:
Rooting: go to xda-developers, and look in the Nook Color development sub-forum for both rooting, unrooting, and froyo(2.2) and other options, e.g. overclocked kernels, clockwork mod(this is VERY useful if you plan to keep the NC and experiment with various firmwares, personally I call indispensable...), etc.

NC: in general I got mine as a poor lighting/night usage reading device. If you mostly or will use it a great deal outside in sunny conditions with little shade or other brightly lighted conditions, the color LCD devices are just not a good choice v. eInk, greyscale LCD, or PixelQi screen(Notion Ink Adam, c. $500 10" tablet).

I still use my PRS-505 in the summer when I started experimenting with Android tablets as most had shortish battery life to begin with (6h or so) and MUCH less in sunny conditions as even in the shade I had to jackup the brightness to 50% or so to get comfortable readability on the screens. I expect that the NC will be the same but by the time it came out and I acquired one it was the middle of winter and dreary most of the time, and even when it's "sunny" it's nothing like summer bright.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Actually Marcy, you can use Calibre to put your organized books on your NC (I'm sure on a rooted NC & I think also on a stock NC). They are not organized in your NC's Library or book shelves but thay are in your NC's "My Files" if you use the correct setup in Calibre's Preferences ==> Sending books to device. I imagine this is what you did with your Sony. Here is the line I use for this "{tags}/{author_sort}/{series} {series_index:0>3s| - | - }{title}". Under My Files there is a folder "Books". This line creates subfolders with tags. (I make sure all my books only have one tag. I'm not sure what you'd get with multiple tags.) Under each Tags folder, a subfolder is created with the field form Calibre's Author Sort & the books are then in those folders. At each level it even tells you how many items are in the folders (could be subfolders or books). If/when I figure out how to do screen shots on the NC, I'll add pictures.

If this is of interest to you and my post is confusing, just PM me with questions. While I'm not an expert, I have had some success with it.

Edit: Books on the SD card added in this manner will not show up under "My Files/Books" folder. Instead they'll show up at the top (root) level (i.e. under the "My Files" tab - not the "My Files" folder) of the SD card. Also books on the main memory will show up in the "My Shelves" tab (but not organized) and those on the SD card will not show up in the "My Shelves" tab at all but only under "My Files" tab, although there is a "My Files" folder that the NC creates on the SD card. (Remember, "Consistency is an indication of small minds." or something like that.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	65128   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	65129  

Last edited by slayda; 01-19-2011 at 11:03 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote