Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
I can confirm USB charger update works with my Garmin charger. Plug it in, and the charging just starts, small thing but nice!

Tabs:

- A separate Hide option would be nice, but for now it's OK with me, since at least they stay out of the way in full screen, even in FBReader.

- I thought there was a small bug because some apps stay in the default "Folder" tab (FBReader, Sudoku), but for instance Leafpad & Xournal put themselves into their own tab, so it seems to be more application-related than on the OS level.

- Speaking of Folders, it would be nice to know which one it is ("Home") rather than a generic "Folder"

- For now, when you view a series of images, the tab name remains the one of the first one opened, and does not reflect the one you are looking at. It does, however, return to the correct/current one when switching tabs.

- It would be nice, now that we have tabs, that when you do a dictionary lookup, it opens (and stays) in a separate tab that gets updated as needed, and you can take advantage of the Tabs to switch back and forth. In the meantime, the usual Press-both-middle-buttons-to-jump-back still works.

Overall, another step in the right direction by iRex.

P.S.: I've just tried Xournal again after quite a while, nice progress!

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 08-19-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Clarification
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Err.. I just encountered a critical bug: I tried a fullscreen view on a PDF and.. puff.. the Menu button didn't work at all (the LED worked but the window didn't appear). So, I have had to reset; then I opened another PDF (without fullscreen) and.. still the Menu button doesn't work! Idem for the similar triangular-like button on screen.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware trouble-free?

Last edited by Warriah; 08-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #18
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

This has happened to me before, a number of times, so I'm not sure it's strictly a 1.7 issue.

But if you want to go to a previous version, the procedure is the same as for the "latest.zip" that you just installed, except you do it with one of the previous packages available at iRex's firmware repository. I don't have the link handy but it's in the first post of the sticky thread "Feature Requests etc.".
Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #19
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
- I thought there was a small bug because some apps stay in the default "Folder" tab (FBReader, Sudoku), but for instance Leafpad & Xournal put themselves into their own tab, so it seems to be more application-related than on the OS level.
Leafpad and Xournal register them selves with the firmware, that is also the reason they show up in the TaskManager of the DR-menu. I assume that you refer to the older version of Sudoku and not to the new one, which (at my DR) does show up in a seperate tab.
It is not difficult to add it to FBReader as well, but I couldn't compile FBReader yet on my PC...
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #20
Warriah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
This has happened to me before, a number of times, so I'm not sure it's strictly a 1.7 issue.

But if you want to go to a previous version, the procedure is the same as for the "latest.zip" that you just installed, except you do it with one of the previous packages available at iRex's firmware repository. I don't have the link handy but it's in the first post of the sticky thread "Feature Requests etc.".
It's the first time this happened to me...
However, I'll see whether this happen again (and how frequently) or not before proceeding to downgrade.

Thanks for help.
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
renny
renny began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I've just updated to 1.7 and noticed a really annoying problem that took me a while to get my head around...

I tend to use the stylus to navigate to a document, open the document and then pop the stylus away before settling down to a good read (using the buttons to turn pages rather than the stylus).

The document I was reading kept "magically" closing, until I realised that the putting away of the stylus in its little slot was actually activating the top tab; the reason being that the slot for the stylus runs very near where the tabs appear! Aaaargh!
renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've seen this reported on the iLiad too, back in the day. Sometimes putting the stylus away would trigger the screen from the back. I don't remember if there was a resolution to it, but you can hunt around for an old iLiad thread if you're curious.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I agree with the other posts: tabs should be optional.
Irex are you listening?
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #24
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I assume that you refer to the older version of Sudoku and not to the new one, which (at my DR) does show up in a seperate tab.
Yeah, it was. Haven't checked up on that for a while. I assume the one towards the end of the Sudoku thread is the latest one, which does work.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by est_jor View Post
I did not like this tabs , its functional but dont look good .
And the pdf bug still goes on . . .
What "pdf bug"? In my opinion, iRex (both = iLiad and 1000S) can handle PDF extremely well. Mainly because of the display size, but because of zooming instead of reflowing as well. So, what's the "bug" you're referring to?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #26
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
Does it fix the problem that sometimes happens in landscape mode while viewing pdfs where only half the page gets updated when you press to change the page via the capacitive buttons? You then had to press back and forward again to get it updated.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #27
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
Does it fix the problem that sometimes happens in landscape mode while viewing pdfs where only half the page gets updated when you press to change the page via the capacitive buttons? You then had to press back and forward again to get it updated.
No, it doesn't.
I have version 1.7 installed and the problem you mentioned is still there.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #28
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
1.7 is losing data

Has anybody else seen data loss with 1.7? Switch back and forth between documents, at some point the switching and the main menu stop working (but you can still work in the document that happens to be in foreground), and after a reset, some document now in the background will have lost its recent scribbles. It is getting me so annoyed I plan to downgrade to 1.6. See also http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=18696#18696.
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #29
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanche View Post
Has anybody else seen data loss with 1.7? Switch back and forth between documents, ...
Are you switching documents with the tabs or the task manager?

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #30
Warriah
Enthusiast

Is it normal that the device beeps while charging with a wall charger?? O.o

Last edited by Warriah; 08-28-2009 at 06:12 AM.