Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
web server

simply because I saw it mentioned above (though I'm a bit puzzled as to why someone would want to run a web server on an Ebook-Reader):
jbaach: you're aware that busybox includes a basic http server applet? (though it's not enabled in the M92 binary, it'd probably be trivial to do so...)
also telnet/telnetd, if you need that for developing... (hmm... that makes me wonder whether I should build a new busybox binary...)

Last edited by kodomo; 04-15-2012 at 05:54 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Just to let you know: I had my armel debian running in qemu for more than 24 hours building qt4. It took like 15 hours for the qtwebkit alone, so I broke up, because there was no chance that this would come to an end within a reasonable period of time...
I think I'll give up on the whole qemu approach. It was interesting to play around with qemu and debian for the first time in my life. But this setup will not serve my purposes.

My next approach will be scratchbox2. I'm gonna setup x86 debian inside of VirtualBox and use a chroot-like scratchbox environment to cross compile with the official freescale arm-linux-gcc etc. This looks really promising. Maybe I can even use the qt sdk provided by onyx inside the scratchbox and thus avoid rebuilding qt4.

In the meantime, I found out that we won't be able to build pyside with onyx' qt sdk, because it depends on QtXmlPatterns. I don't know yet whether PyQt will run without it. At least, PySide can be built with an embedded qt version at all. (PyQt has huge problems when built without X11.) So maybe I will end up recompiling Qt 4.7.3 embedded, but with QtXmlPatterns.

EDIT: There is one thing that I learned from using the debian armel stuff: Everything (especially all the binaries) that's released for debian armel runs on our M92 - at least concerning the architecture. The only reason why we can't just start using the debian armel deb files is that they heavily rely on lots of shared libraries we lack (and thus would have to pack on our M92's memory). But maybe the time will come when this compatibility turns out useful

Last edited by tuxor; 04-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
EDIT: There is one thing that I learned from using the debian armel stuff: Everything (especially all the binaries) that's released for debian armel runs on our M92 - at least concerning the architecture. The only reason why we can't just start using the debian armel deb files is that they heavily rely on lots of shared libraries we lack (and thus would have to pack on our M92's memory). But maybe the time will come when this compatibility turns out useful
I almost suspected it... but doesn't that make the chroot approach the next best step in your quest?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #19
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Today I tried setting up scratchbox2 according to this HowTo: http://biffengineering.com/wiki/inde...ileEnvironment
It was not really hard to configure. But python wouldn't compile after that due to strange reasons (segmentaion fault...). Furthermore I didn't have apt-get in my debootstrap rootfs and couldn't figure out what had gone wrong...

After that, I tried scratchbox (ver 1) and was not able to find a tutorial about adding our freescale toolchain to the compilers. all tutorials about scratchbox 1 are extremely old (2005) and not complete at all. Really frustrating. I think I will stop here. No energy left to put any more effort into this whole thing.

EDIT: Just to add some information what exactly went wrong with scratchbox2: The debootstrap must be run first with fakeroot and --foreign and after that a second time inside of sb2 -eR and with option --second-stage. But the second run will always fail, because scratchbox doesn't remap the /dev directory and debootstrap will try to mknod inside of /dev - of course without success due to missing permissions.
I actually gave up on this completely. But I asked for help in the scratchbox-users mailinglist. Maybe they know what to do.

Last edited by tuxor; 04-16-2012 at 04:52 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
kodomo
M92 info archivist

extended busybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
simply because I saw it mentioned above (though I'm a bit puzzled as to why someone would want to run a web server on an Ebook-Reader):
jbaach: you're aware that busybox includes a basic http server applet? (though it's not enabled in the M92 binary, it'd probably be trivial to do so...)
also telnet/telnetd, if you need that for developing... (hmm... that makes me wonder whether I should build a new busybox binary...)
In the end I did (if for no other reason than adding 'watch' support ).
If someone has use for it: attached.

Added features: see readme. (Most important to me: watch and some shell alternatives) Did not check whether all added features work (e.g., some lack kernel support)

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip busybox.zip (343.9 KB, 399 views)
Advert