Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I am a new user of Sigil, and have to agree that Tidy messes up with my own code that I spent time doing just right before opening it up in Sigil. Turning it off is not that difficult though once you are aware of the issue.
But if you don't realize it's Tidy changing things, you may think it's Sigil doing it. Also, if you don't realize the changes and then save, you end up having to fix the mess. And if you've made a lot of changes and then see the mess Tidy made, you have two choices, keep your changes and the mess or keep neither. It's not good at all.

I think for now Tidy should be off by default and if it's turned on, a great big requester pop open saying that if you turn on Tidy, it WILL mess up ever sing XML file in your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, it MIGHT mess up your XML. I never have any issues with Tidy, but that could be due to my work process. I admit I find the internal styles a bother, but usually they can be fixed quite fast.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I think for now Tidy should be off by default and if it's turned on, a great big requester pop open saying that if you turn on Tidy, it WILL mess up ever sing XML file in your ePub.
And now we reach the dead-horse-beating phase of Jon's "I already have a working solution for myself, but I'd like my solution to be the default for everyone" campaign. Think of the children.

The first half of your request is quite legitimate... and the second half is quite asinine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like having tidy working in the background - but then again I'm one of those hopeless dinosaurs who also likes to work in book view :-)

please continue to cater for all tastes.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If Tidy is turned off, will Sigil stop inserting its own css styles into files? I've been trying to find a way to make that issue go away!
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
If Tidy is turned off, will Sigil stop inserting its own css styles into files? I've been trying to find a way to make that issue go away!
Yes. Tidy is what is inserting the CSS styles. So turning it off before you load you file(s) is going to stop the CSS insertion.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And now we reach the dead-horse-beating phase of Jon's "I already have a working solution for myself, but I'd like my solution to be the default for everyone" campaign. Think of the children.

The first half of your request is quite legitimate... and the second half is quite asinine.
Most people who have commented don't like the CSS styles that Tidy makes from the XML files. Since most people want it off, then why not make it defaulting to off?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Most people who have commented don't like the CSS styles that Tidy makes from the XML files. Since most people want it off, then why not make it defaulting to off?
I think your (and other's) request to have Tidy turned off by default is perfectly valid.

This, however:
Quote:
and if it's turned on, a great big requester pop open saying that if you turn on Tidy, it WILL mess up ever sing XML file in your ePub.
is what I find asinine (that and your inability to accept that your perfectly reasonable request just might not be granted).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think your (and other's) request to have Tidy turned off by default is perfectly valid.

This, however:

is what I find asinine (that and your inability to accept that your perfectly reasonable request just might not be granted).
But using Tidy will change your XML files even if it finds nothing actually wrong with them. It creates the CSS from perfectly valid code. Most people won't know it's Tidy doing this and this, there should be some sort of warning.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
. Most people won't know it's Tidy doing this .

the clue is in the name - I would expect something called "tidy" to , well, TIDY up, so of course it will change code.

you can aesthetically object to HOW it does it, but that's a different issue

foe me it's a great tool as I can run "replace all" across all files on opening tags & leave it to tidy up the closing tags - very useful when restyling hcapter headings etc.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #26
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
cybmole said:

"foe me it's a great tool as I can run "replace all" across all files on opening tags & leave it to tidy up the closing tags - very useful when restyling hcapter headings etc."

I do the same as cybmole sometimes. I think Tidy is useful mosy of the time. I have no problem with the way it works now.

Peace,
John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
foe me it's a great tool as I can run "replace all" across all files on opening tags & leave it to tidy up the closing tags - very useful when restyling hcapter headings etc.
IIUC, there two levels of what Tidy does in Sigil:
- Bare minimal functionality, this includes e.g. closing open tags, correcting mismatched closing and opening tags... etc.
- A full-fledged cleaning by Tidy, where style="" and <font bits are replaced by css rules (.sgc-1, .sgc-2... etc).

When you turn off the "Cleaning with HTML Tidy" option in Sigil, you're only turning off the full-fledged cleaning; the bare minimal cleaning is done anyway to ensure the document is well-formed.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Personally, I would rather have a Sigil.css file rather than the varied styles that get spread bout the pages.
The current way make a global S&R very difficult... Read near impossible since I have seen some tags in chapters) HAVE SGC codes and others have none (and it is not obvious why that happened
At least with a central Sigil.CSS, the same code and my adjustments are simplified.
I agree, a sigil.css is a good solution. The code needs to ensure the reuse of an entry instead of creating a new one. I had one file that was edited in several sessions and even in the on page CSS I found that the same exact CSS entry would be stored under several different Sigil CSS classes.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
rcgordon
rcgordon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
HOW do you turn of Automatic Style Creation

I'm not seing a menu item or preference setting for Automatic Style Creation (Sigil 5.0.3). How do you turn it off?

I am also still experiencing addition of CDATA, changes in indentation, and added blank lines even with Tidy turned off.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have done that for Sigil here on the desktop and laptop. But I want it done for everyone who uses Sigil. I've just recently started seeing ePub sold that were edited with Sigil and the XML styles that Tidy generates is a bother.

mmat1 says it very well...

Turn off automatic style-creation and don't allow it back on.
rcgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #30
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgordon View Post
I'm not seing a menu item or preference setting for Automatic Style Creation (Sigil 5.0.3). How do you turn it off?
Look at
Quick-Settings -> Cleaning with HTML-Tidy

If you want, that there are no major changes made by tidy, you should turn it off before you open your epub.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote