Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had no end of fun watching people try and read on their IPad while sitting outside enjoying a beverage at a local bar. I get some dirty looks when I pull out my Kindle and hold it in a very comfortable position while reading in bright sunlight.

Is it bad that I started taking my Kindle to places where I knew the IPad crowd was trying to read outside?

Chosing a reading device is an individual decision. I don't need the finctionality that comes with an IPad. Heck I carry a pretty standard cell phone. It has internet access but I never use it because I don't need it and why would I want to pay for the extra data package? All I needed, well wanted is more appropriate term, was something to read on.

I made my e-reader choice when the two main contenders where the Sony and the Kindle. If I were to revisit that decision today I would look first at the form factor, ease of use, the bookstore, and cost. Form factor, for me, means weight, size, button location, and screen type. The weight of the IPad is too heavey for me to want to use on a regular basis reading. I don't like touchscreens so it would not win on ease of use (I like my keyboard and joystick thankyouverymuch), and I love the e-ink. I would not pay what they want me to pay for an IPad. If I were to buy one, it would be one with 3G and I am not paying for the data package.

If I were to be looking for a tablet to use as an e-reader, I would look at the Nook Color or the Samsung Galaxy. But I don't want a tablet, I want an e-reader, so I am thrilled with my Kindle DXG.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
stevenjotello
stevenjotello began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think the books iPad bad idea, because it weighs three pounds. If I'm reading where I can prop on the table, I'm fine, and the reflection does not bother me.
stevenjotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjotello View Post
I think the books iPad bad idea, because it weighs three pounds. If I'm reading where I can prop on the table, I'm fine, and the reflection does not bother me.
(bolding is mine)

Without commenting on the subjectivity of "heaviness" regardless of actual weight, I'd just mention that the iPad does not weigh by itself three pounds. The iPad's specs are:

1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

As mentioned in this thread, that's about the weight of a four-hundred page hardback novel (I measured a couple of them).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...edirected=true
iPad has a very low pixel density, 120/130 or something, and even the lowest ereaders are 150. Now give me an iPad screen with the iPhone 4's retina display at over 300 ppi and I'd be all over that.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I really enjoy reading on my iPad. I don't find it heavy or tiring on my eyes. I use sepia mode in iBooks as my reading default and Goodreader for pdf.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I read PDFs a lot on my iPad, because I like the annotation options of iAnnotate better than those on the PRS950 - and I like the bigger screen for graphs and tables.

I probably spend 2-3 hours a day reading academic PDFs. (I read much more than that, but the rest is on my PRS950).

I keep brightness way down, at about 30% and use sepia backgrounds. Even so, eyes do get very tired. And yes, it's heavy.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #22
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
I wouldn't recommend an iPad as a dedicated reading device because it's expensive, oversized, and the available reader applications don't take advantage of the fact that it has a full featured browser installed. If you plan to use it for something else in addition to reading, or if you plan to view many graphical PDFs, then it may be a good option. One nice thing about the iPad is that pages flip quickly and searches are easy.

I've used iBooks and Stanza, neither of which let you easily select a word and look it up in wikipedia or an internet based dictionary of your choosing. Eyestrain hasn't been a problem for me, but I rarely read a single work for more than an hour at a time. As someone mentioned, PDFs render quite nicely, but the applications I've used to read PDFs in (GoodReader and iAnnotate PDF) were hard to read out of, for some reason. The text didn't seem as crisp as it did in the ereader applications for works in different formats. I was reading long double spaced academic articles; it might have just been that the articles themselves were boring and the PDFs were displaying fine. :P
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #23
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
I've used iBooks and Stanza, neither of which let you easily select a word and look it up in wikipedia or an internet based dictionary of your choosing.
Just a minor clarification, reflected in my limited exerpt quoted...

I do wish "user-selected dictionary" was available, as it is on my Iliad reading mobipocket format books. However, I'd note iBooks not only has the inbuilt "Dictionary" button available to look-up definitions upon highlighting a word, but another button shown, "Search", which as well as searching the text itself has buttons at the bottom to search Google or Wikipedia (it does take you to Safari when it does so).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
bcumyns
bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300
I have an iPad and a Sony reader. My son has an iPad and a Kindle 3. Both of us prefer reading on the Sony or Kindle. The iPad may not be heavy but is seems heavy and is awkward to hold if it is without a case. The iPad is certainly preferable for reading to my grandson while he is sitting on my lap and looking at the pictures with me.
bcumyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #25
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium
I've used iBooks and Stanza, neither of which let you easily select a word and look it up in wikipedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
iBooks not only has the inbuilt "Dictionary" button available to look-up definitions upon highlighting a word, but another button shown, "Search", which as well as searching the text itself has buttons at the bottom to search Google or Wikipedia (it does take you to Safari when it does so).
Thanks for that correction.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #26
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
Thanks for that correction.
I prefer "clarification" to "correction"...you did use the the rider "easily" before it, so you could certainly argue that this Wikipedia-lookup is, subjectively, not easy.

Also, I'd hate to be seen as more "correcting" than "welcoming". So I better also say "Welcome to MR", barium. Welcome to MR. I know you've been here a little while now, but I note you've delurked recently and started posting more. Thanks.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #27
Readerlover2011
Readerlover2011 began at the beginning.

I feel comfy to use iPad to read E-book, bigger screen than most reader.
Readerlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #28
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulaurence View Post
I have been discouraged from buying and iPad to use as an ebook reader due to the brightness of the screen; that your eyes tire easily due to the high contrast screen.

Anyone got any input or experience?

Thank you.
only you can be the judge of that. But there are options when reading on an lcd screen. You can turn the brightness down, change the background color.
Despite what some people love to believe, you aren't forced to read with the brightness at 100% on a white only background.

I have both the nook eink and nook color, I love them both. I was pleasently surprised at how quickly I adapted to reading on the LCD screen of the nook color. I played around with some settings and now I truely enjoy reading on it. In fact under normal circumstances it is now my nook of choice.

but that's me, but again only you can be the judgde of whether or not reading on an iPad or similiar device is for you. Not us, it's your eyes and your money. Not ours.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #29
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've had no eye trouble reading entire books on iPad. I'm middle aged and have read daily on iPad for seven months. YMMV.

Today, I read a book consisting of 400+ pages (according to Amazon print-version description) entirely on iPad. I'm doing a quick e-mail and Web check, then I'll start another book, also on iPad, before I get some sleep tonight.

I'm a tech 'tard, but iPad brightness is easy for me to adjust as needed.

I figure each person's eyesight and reading preferences vary, so it makes no sense to assume that any device will or won't work for someone else. Good luck finding whatever device works for you.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
dulaurence
dulaurence began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
All:

Thanks so much for the input. Never realized there would be that much activity! I like that there is an app for that. As for the iPad vs other readers, we are a Mac family (I know, weird) so there was not much room for choices. Oh, and I failed to mention my wife was expecting an iPad for Christmas. One of the most poignant replies above was the one that mentioned the real problem is the distractions the other apps present when reading. Understatement.
dulaurence is offline   Reply With Quote