Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One benefit of riding a bike is that, if you survive the first few months, you'll be a much more considerate and safer driver for the rest of your life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
You should be fine riding year-round in Georgia, with proper gear. I did it when I lived in SC (Aiken/Augusta area) and I don't regard myself as a particularly hardy soul. It's perfect riding country, as already mentioned.

An electric vest and some extra leg covering (overpants or chaps) are handy on the coldest days (in addition to the usual boots, gloves, and helmet of course!). On a bike, hypothermia can occur in weather that wouldn't bother you on foot, and it will affect your mental acuity, so be careful.

I second the recommendation for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course. Your local bike shop can tell you times and locations. It's a great deal, since you get to practice and form the right habits on somebody else's bike.
actually in a lot of states anymore you can't get the motorcycle endorsement on your license without taking the class. and you damn sure can't get on any military post without it. speaking of which, in order to be sure that they ARE in a belt and suspenders environment, riders on military posts are required to wear those reflective orange vests. goofy looking? yes. one more safety measure? absolutely
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the UK we have to take a separate driving test in order to ride a motorbike, other than a 50cc one, which can be ridden on a car licence.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
This is my first year in Georgia, as I lived in Florida for 23 years. So I can't offer too much advice in winter riding.

The only thing I would add to the above posts, as most of the basics are posted, check Dennis Kirk for winter riding gear, HUGE catalog of stuff and it's free to download or order a paper version.

I'm in Cleveland, near Helen in Georgia. We've got a 1972 Yamaha RD200E and a 1972 Suzuki TS125.

Happy Riding!
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
If you can access the bike's electrical system and create a spur with a plug some of these clothes are suitable to run directly from a 12 volt supply. A heated gillet, and heated warm gloves can make all the difference to your riding on a cold winters day.
I don't disagree with your advice, but I would do some serious research before splicing into the electrical system. On a small bike like the 550, I doubt that the electrical system would handle the additional load. It might be wise to check with the local dealership's service department...

Regards,
Mike
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #21
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
I don't disagree with your advice, but I would do some serious research before splicing into the electrical system. On a small bike like the 550, I doubt that the electrical system would handle the additional load. It might be wise to check with the local dealership's service department...

Regards,
Mike
I ran an Eclipse vest off a 250cc Kawasaki Eliminator, no problem at all. Of course you would want to have the engine running before turning the vest on, but that would be sensible with any bike.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really any sort of protective suit will be just fine. Leathers are the toughest, but you're right, they are expensive and I can entirely understand if they are currently out of your budget. The main thing is that you're wearing something that will stop your skin from being scraped off on the road. That's no joke, believe me! I cringe when I see people riding bikes in a T-shirt. Sure, it's nice in warm weather, but if you have an accident in a T-shirt, you're probably going to need major skin grafts and that's not nice at all.
I don't understand the law here, in that respect... You're required to wear a helmet, but not protective clothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I second the recommendation for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course. Your local bike shop can tell you times and locations. It's a great deal, since you get to practice and form the right habits on somebody else's bike.
Here, before you can drive a motorcycle, you need to get a driver's license for motorcycles. If it's a motorcycle less than 50CC, you can drive if you have a normal car license (if you're over 18) or a special license if you're below 18. And that driver's license isn't that easy to get, you'll need to do a theoretical exam and two practical exams (one with the special movements, and one in normal traffic).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Well, I'm not certain that I'll be able to go get the bike to power a suite for very long, the wiring is going to need to be redone, its been rigged a bit in the bike's past.

Kindlekitten, your post came just before mine, when I posted it wasn't there. I'm looking into neoprene gear. I'm also looking into some knockoff under armor base layer stuff.

JeremyZ, how water tight would those be? I'm going to need to transport school books and laptop, and I'm not certain how I'm going to be able to do that safely.

Here you have to have to get a motorcycle permit, which would allow you to ride anywhere as long as your not on the highway or riding at night. Then you can take a test (the easiest bloody test you could ever take) and get your motorcycle license. I've gotten my motorcycle license.

I'm looking into a fulmer full face helmet, or their modular helmet. Its going to cost me about $110 for the full face or $130 for the modular at my local harley shop (yes, a harley shop, its close and they are good guys). I'm also looking at a set of insulated riding gloves and some under armor glove liners.
Any thoughts on these?
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
you don't need a suit heater. I've ridden in Colorado, Germany and Washington in winter. with a good set of neoprenes you just don't need it.

I've always had Bell helmets *shrug*
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Isn't neoprene terribly hot and sweaty in summer?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't neoprene terribly hot and sweaty in summer?
the lining keeps you from getting sticky, but there are some areas that require multiple types of riding clothes. I have leather chaps for summer, but neoprene for winter
Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #27
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Alright, took it on its maiden voyage this evening, first time riding anything with gears, and I have to say that I'm positively terrified (mostly because it needs some work, it doesn't idle...) and I LOVE THE THING!

Learned some things though:
1. Its definitely a bit chilly in short sleeves at 50mph at about 70f.
2. I need some slide guards (I don't know what the actual term is, but I want them)
3. I'm investing in a good set of leathers, I'll limp by with me leather bomber, but I need something longer cut.
4. I want a good set of gloves.
5. I get it.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

and you shouldn't be riding in short sleeves? you got that bit as well?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon Man View Post
Learned some things though:
1. Its definitely a bit chilly in short sleeves at 50mph at about 70f.
What did we say earlier about the undesirable combination of bare skin and motorbikes?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #30
Spoon Man
Groupie

Yes, I've learned. I will be wearing my jacket from now on. It was kind of an impulse thing (wasn't entirely certain that I'd be able to ride, it still needed work before it could) and I didn't have one handy.

These are what I'm looking at after reading your suggestions, these are the things I'm looking at getting:
http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e...I_DUCKS_TR.htm

http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e..._VOLANTE_R.htm

http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e...AIN_JACKET.htm

http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e...BASE_LAYER.htm (they also have a mid layer I'm looking into.)

http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e...OP__BOTTOM.htm

http://www.brothersmotorsports.com/e..._14_Zip_To.htm