Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There is also the low book prices. And as some are doing (though I think it's an expensive way to go), you can "transition" some of those books to other readers.
Fair enough. But I still dunno... I managed to break my Sony (not even entirely sure how), and the Kindle *looks* more fragile than the PRS-500.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Fair enough. But I still dunno... I managed to break my Sony (not even entirely sure how), and the Kindle *looks* more fragile than the PRS-500.
*You*, should get insurance.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yes! As a matter of fact, they decided it was a WARRANTY REPAIR! Yoo-Hoo!

Even so, I'm still fighting to get my EB-100 repaired and I'm seriously considering adding a Jinke V3 - either the BeBook or the EZ-Reader variant - to my stable.
Good job Bookeen (finally). But given the lack of support from Netronix, I would not buy anything withtheir name on it. They are terrible.

I would go for the EZ-reader if it uses the same firmware as it will be available in the US and easily returned if warranty requires.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Good job Bookeen (finally). But given the lack of support from Netronix, I would not buy anything withtheir name on it. They are terrible.

I would go for the EZ-reader if it uses the same firmware as it will be available in the US and easily returned if warranty requires.
What I'm thinking is that because the EZ-Reader/BeBooks are V3 variants, I should be able to load OpenInkpot onto an SD card and run FBReader and Madshelf without any problem.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I might be tempted, except there's no Sprint EVDO service out where I live (there is EVDO, but it's only Altel and Verizon). Yeah I know you can hook it up to the PC, but then that diminishes its distinction from other devices.
Sprint EVDO may eventually get to you. I had just the 1+ coverage for the first 10 months I had it, then all of a sudden it started working as an EVDO. And Sprint won't say when they are going to make the change, either. But they are becoming somewhat Microsoftish in their take-over of the coverage universe.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
WaltC
Harmonious Grump
WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Nook HD, iPad 3, Voyage
Oprah offer good *through* Nov. 1

Quote:
Okay, that makes more sense. Everyone placing a Kindle order with the Oprah discount should do so today.
It looks like you can have the Oprah discount and the Amazon end of year return policy-- From Oprah's web site:
Quote:
This offer is valid through November 1, 2008 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
FYI: I received a response from Amazon. It was a long email, but here is the important part.

Quote:
This means that if you purchase a Kindle on October 31st, the Kindle may or may not ship on or after November 1st. If you would like to wait until November 1st to place your order so you can utilize the holiday return policy, you have our assurance that the Kindle Oprah promotion will still be allowed to apply, as this is the last day that the promotion is available. Be sure to enter "OPRAHWINFREY" as the promotional code when placing your order for the Kindle.
So, I am about 90% sure I will be ordering a Kindle for mom for Christmas tomorrow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #23
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I know I am getting one for Christmas.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #24
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
*You*, should get insurance.
Oy, I know. The one time I decided not to get the insurance is the one time I ever actually needed it.

But then again, is it wise to pay the extra premium when I may be upgrading as early as the first part of next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Sprint EVDO may eventually get to you. I had just the 1+ coverage for the first 10 months I had it, then all of a sudden it started working as an EVDO. And Sprint won't say when they are going to make the change, either. But they are becoming somewhat Microsoftish in their take-over of the coverage universe.
But the fact that you had 1+ service still meant that Sprint was in your area already. It just hadn't upgraded their hardware. Where I live there is absolutely no Sprint coverage whatsoever.

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-31-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Oy, I know. The one time I decided not to get the insurance is the one time I ever actually needed it.
Have you checked to see whether such breakages are covered by your home contents insurance? They generally would be in the UK, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #26
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

But then again, is it wise to pay the extra premium when I may be upgrading as early as the first part of next year?

But the fact that you had 1+ service still meant that Sprint was in your area already. It just hadn't upgraded their hardware. Where I live there is absolutely no Sprint coverage whatsoever.
Then a Kindle is not a good choice for you. Maybe in the future when NextelSprintAlltellATTVerizon gets around to covering your area.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
FYI: I received a response from Amazon. It was a long email, but here is the important part.

So, I am about 90% sure I will be ordering a Kindle for mom for Christmas tomorrow.

BOb
Ordered one for my mom today as well.

I've been debating getting my mother a Kindle for Christmas...I love mine but miss sharing books with her. She's not a gadget person (still doesn't know how to pick up her messages on her cell phone and thinks her PC is for forwarding email jokes) so am not sure how she'll take to an eBook. But she's a bigger reader than I am and the extended return period was just the incentive I needed. Now the big question is whether I buy an extended warranty not knowing if she'll keep it or not
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

I've been debating getting my mother a Kindle for Christmas...I love mine but miss sharing books with her. She's not a gadget person (still doesn't know how to pick up her messages on her cell phone and thinks her PC is for forwarding email jokes) so am not sure how she'll take to an eBook. But she's a bigger reader than I am and the extended return period was just the incentive I needed. Now the big question is whether I buy an extended warranty not knowing if she'll keep it or not
maybe you could try to test the waters by asking her what she thinks of yours, in a subtle, "not trying to find out whether you'd like your own, just asking ; you know, in the interest of science" sort of way. ooh, i know : say you're doing a poll.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

If she doesn't keep it, *you* should keep the one with the insurance and sell the one without (if yours doesn't have insurance, that is). Or check to see if the insurance is transferable and include it in the sell price, if you decide not to keep it yourself.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
for all the creative thinking and suggestions!

Unfortunately, my mom lives 500 miles from me and I won't be seeing her until Thanksgiving. I tried explaining the eBoook concept to her and she couldn't understand what I was talking about and didn't seem too excited simply saying "I guess we can't share books anymore".

Mine is insured and I am trying to decide whether I should insure hers as my plan is to simply return it to Amazon if she doesn't like it at Christmas.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote