Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I managed to have a look at both a PW2 and the Aura HD in the shops yesterday, coming from the same position as the OP as a PRS-650 owner. I played with the screen lighting on both, but in the brightly lit shops it wasn't particularly relevant - though the range of brightness seemed greater on the PW2.

The PW2 had a whiter screen background than the Aura HD, but the Aura HD text seemed sharper. Of the two, though, I would have picked the PW2. The contrast on the Aura HD felt about the same as on my old PRS-650.

However, I want to see what the Auro H2O looks like in comparison.

Graham
It's difficult to see in photos, but the KPW2 has a screen which is slightly bluer browner than the screen on the Aura H2O.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I managed to have a look at both a PW2 and the Aura HD in the shops yesterday, coming from the same position as the OP as a PRS-650 owner. I played with the screen lighting on both, but in the brightly lit shops it wasn't particularly relevant - though the range of brightness seemed greater on the PW2.

The PW2 had a whiter screen background than the Aura HD, but the Aura HD text seemed sharper. Of the two, though, I would have picked the PW2. The contrast on the Aura HD felt about the same as on my old PRS-650.

However, I want to see what the Auro H2O looks like in comparison.

Graham
I own a PRS-650, a Kindle PW2 and an Aura HD. I still love the 650, but I spend most of my reading time now on the Aura HD with the KPW2 being the next most used. I find the screens of the HD and the PW2 to be very similar, but the ability to fine tune the fonts on the HD gives more contrast between the background and the screen. That being said, the PW2 has a good display as well--I often end up taking my PW2 with me when I'm out and about because of its size. The Aura HD is just a little heavier and bigger making it slightly more cumbersome to carry with me.

All in all, if I had to choose just one reader, I'm pretty sure it'd be the Aura HD--although, if I were buying it brand new right now, I'm pretty sure my reader of choice would be the Aura H2O.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosour23 View Post
Would you say difference in quality is obvious between Kobo and PRS650 ?
No, not obvious to me. At least not for fiction at a readable size. I didn't think to go right down to a very small font, the way you might need if you were trying to read a pdf.

Oddly, I did think the difference was clear between the Aura HD and the PW2, but that may have been due to the difference in fonts.

I now think that the increased contrast I felt between those two was due to the brighter lighting in the shop with the PW2 and the emboldened fonts on it.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's difficult to see in photos, but the KPW2 has a screen which is slightly bluer browner than the screen on the Aura H2O.
Thanks. Yes, I went back to the shop yesterday with my PRS-650 this time, and I'd agree. The HD (not H2O) screen with light off was very similar in colour to that of the PRS-650, but the PW2 with light off did have a slightly browner tint.

Graham
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #20
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I own a PRS-650, a Kindle PW2 and an Aura HD. I still love the 650, but I spend most of my reading time now on the Aura HD with the KPW2 being the next most used. I find the screens of the HD and the PW2 to be very similar, but the ability to fine tune the fonts on the HD gives more contrast between the background and the screen. That being said, the PW2 has a good display as well--I often end up taking my PW2 with me when I'm out and about because of its size. The Aura HD is just a little heavier and bigger making it slightly more cumbersome to carry with me.

All in all, if I had to choose just one reader, I'm pretty sure it'd be the Aura HD--although, if I were buying it brand new right now, I'm pretty sure my reader of choice would be the Aura H2O.
Thanks dordale. Good point about the size and weight; I'll bear that in mind, though I've had my 650 in a Tuff-Luv case for 3 years which adds a fair bit of heft anyway.

Graham
Advert