Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is not unique to FictionWise. The same thing happened to me with BooksOnBoard. Just like you I was mad and over racted, but I sent my irrate email to the company. BoB reponded quickly, during the weekend, and was apologetic.

After I cooled down I realize I cannot blame a company for taking precautionary measures to protect their capital. Working for the mititary I'm sure you can relate.

=X=
Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I think they lock down accounts which have sudden multiple large purchases as they may be consider suspicious activity and possible Fraud.
While it can be irritating, They are thinking of protecting your account.
It is up to the credit card company to prevent CC fraud. If FW gets an approval from the credit card company they get their money. What other "fraud" would they think is happening... and "who" are they protecting by locking the account?

Also, I'm not sure why they consider someone buying a lot of books to be "fraudulent behavior"?

Possible fraudulent stuff that I can see a lock out...

Someone trying to log in with a bad password several times in a row a good reason to lock an account.

A NEW account that has never bought anything trying to make a big initial purchase. Even this one is hairy. But limiting a first purchase is only going to hurt FW.

Someone changing the Mobi encryption IDs then buying alot of books. Still a bit hairy.

What I don't consider fraud: Buying stuff? Huh?

Once again, if FW gets the CC approval then they don't loose anything. The account holder gets the books.

If the person uses Micropay then FW doesn't loose anything. The account holder gets the books.

If really sounds to me as if Fictionwise doesn't trust their own security. Perhaps they shouldn't allow you to login without USING SSL. They also should put some restrictions to require strong passwords. Or perhaps add some type of multi-factor security system. (Steven Gibsons perfect paper passwords are free and easy to implement).

If they trusted their own authentication system then they have to trust that the account holder IS the person logged in. Then they have to trust the CC companies and Paypal (their's a can of worms) to prevent fraud on their end.

However, none of the above is a reason to boycott or bad-mouth Fictionwise.

BOb
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Foxpaw: Good luck to you in your mob. I hope that you have the FW thing resolved before you get going. I would not want to face a year without books. Are you going to be in a zone where access to outside internet is prohibited? I hope that you will have access that you can get this fixed if it is not done before you depart.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If the person uses Micropay then FW doesn't loose anything. The account holder gets the books.
I wondered about this. If they have to pay to the publisher for each book they sell don't they loose in this case if the person logging in is not the one having the Micropay?

What annoys me about these kind of things is when companies do not tell about it. For example credit card compenies are very bad with this. They do not tell you that they can block access to your money if some unspecified condition trigger. So you do not dare to travel with just one card.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
For example credit card compenies are very bad with this. They do not tell you that they can block access to your money if some unspecified condition trigger. So you do not dare to travel with just one card.
Um... yes they do. Have you ever read your credit card agreement? I am sure most people HAVEN'T.

Anyway... at least with the CC company there is a 24hr phone number that you can call if you have a problem so they can approve the transaction. If FW is going to only provide customer service during weekday work hours then I think they need to err on the side of allowing the sale.

BOb
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem I have is that I have micropay credit and I want to purchase an eBook, but Fictionwise is not stocking it. Yet BooksOnBoard has it in Mobipocket format. I have written to Fictionwise on Friday and I hope for an answer on Monday.
Jon,
Let us know if you have succes. I rarely buy books from FW anymore since BoB selection is so much better. But I'd like to make use of my FW membership and remaning Micro rewards
=X=
Old 12-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also, I'm not sure why they consider someone buying a lot of books to be "fraudulent behavior"?
Yes I agree. After giving more thought, I think they are hurting their business. It's hard enough to spend $100 on book. Now one has to go through the hassle of unlocking an account after a large purchase. Makes one think twice bcfore such a purchase.
=X=
Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Foxpaw: Thank you for serving our country. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please be careful and come home safe.

NatCH: Hey! You're stealing my thunder... I'm supposed to be the peacemaker. Hey wait a minute, what if all of us became peacemakers? KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #24
foxpaw
Foxpaw
foxpaw began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/AT&T Titan, Kindle DX
Cool Problem Resolved

Fictionwise has resolved the problem this Sunday afternoon. As some of the helpful people explained earlier in this thread, Fictionwise DOES have a fraud protection system that looked at my previous multiple small purchases over the years....then a sudden large purchase and flagged that as possible fraud.....and locked-down my account.

Yes, the timing was poor.....and the time-crunch made things much worse. Those considerations just added to the frustration and dismay. But, I still have enough time to download and synch all the purchases before departing for "the war zone."

At least I feel a whole lot safer in a war zone than I do with the pack of jackals that seem to inhabit mostof these discussion forums on the web. It is very dismaying to see how quickly the loons seem to come out of the closet and overshadow the good people who truly try to help (and soothe) those enocuntering a frustrating problem. It seems many people these days just sit in wait to attack and destroy someone who is trying to solve a problem or highlight an injustice. Those loons might try serving their own countries in a war zone for a tour of duty -- they'd feel a whole better!

My sincere THANKS to those of you who helped last night. You made a BIG difference! Your kindness goes a whole lot farther than the rantings of the loons!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #25
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Yeah, stay safe foxpaw. And I bet those eBooks keep you sane on the high seas.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #26
foxpaw
Foxpaw
foxpaw began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/AT&T Titan, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Yeah, stay safe foxpaw. And I bet those eBooks keep you sane on the high seas.
Precisely, my friend! SANE is the operative word!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
foxpaw.........

God Bless, thank you for serving, and hurry back.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaw View Post
Precisely, my friend! SANE is the operative word!
Best luck on your mission.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Foxpaw: I should point out that we work very hard to keep this community a helpful and gentle one. In that aim, we try to discourage ... overzealously strong responses, but we even more strongly discourage name calling, and other direct attacks, even those worded indirectly.

I think that this thread has gone about as far as it needs to go, the situation is resolved and there's really no further point in it staying open, so I'm closing it.

Closed Thread