Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Now is not the time unless you absolutely must have one now. Wait til the Fall when Amazon and others will be releasing new models. In any event, goodereader.com is the first place that I would check for guidance. No offense intended for this site
Why would anyone want guidance from those idiots at Goodereader?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No way ANY 6" eInk Reader will do the job for scientific PDF. It's just too small a screen even with the newer HD screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No way ANY 6" eInk Reader will do the job for scientific PDF. It's just too small a screen even with the newer HD screen.
Thank you for your opinion.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Not idiots -- pirates. Ask Nate at The Digital Reader.

And the vast majority of what shows up there seems to have either been ripped off from elsewhere, or of questionable value. True enough.

That site has had such a shady history...

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is your first and last warning. We expect civil behavior here at MobileRead.

You have given ample reason in your past posts to deserve a ban. The only reason i have not yet done so is that we have a rule that you are supposed to receive a warning first. (That, and I thought we might get past this and you would be civil. My mistake.)[/strike]

Guess what i just learned? You are a sockpuppet for Goodereader.com. Bye-bye now.

If anyone wants proof, please see the attached image. This member visited from the same IP address as that blog.
How fun, a sock puppet. (Apparently, three different MR accounts have logged in from the goodereader.com IP address.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-17-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Now is not the time unless you absolutely must have one now. Wait til the Fall when Amazon and others will be releasing new models. In any event, goodereader.com is the first place that I would check for guidance. No offense intended for this site
Well, that is on my mind as I have mentioned in the first post. Wait till Christmas, if I must and rather not haste now to regret later.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #21
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Angry

Quote:
But realistically, most suggest a tablet of some kind for PDF over eInk. Even the 9.7" screen sized eInk is not nearly as good as an iPad with the Goodreader app.
Quote:
I know tablets have been rejected, but for the types of PDF the OP wants to view, there is not an eInk device (other then the new Sony 13.3" eInk PDF Reader) that will work well enough. There is no 9.7", 6", or 6.8" eInk Reader that will work well enough with all of those PDF. Such a device just doesn't yet exists and I don't think such ever will.

But to keep on topic, The only eInk device I think would work (currently) is the Sony Digital Paper DPTS1

Quote:
Your inputs, while I appreciate very much for the time and pain you took to post them, are of little use to me. It's a good habit to read the first post completely, as I have turned a blind eye toward tablets and ipads after a lot of research. Thanks, anyways!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPrince View Post
Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo aura hd or Onyx boox t68 with koreader did the job.

Still waiting the much anticipated Onyx Boox i86
The majority of people here believe that 6" eReaders are a tad too small for viewing full sized PDFs. Hence, Paperwhite has been ruled out. Besides, the annoying "out of memory" issue whilst rendering a simple PDF simply wouldn't let me even consider the Kindle devices yet.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #23
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Not idiots -- pirates. Ask Nate at The Digital Reader.

And the vast majority of what shows up there seems to have either been ripped off from elsewhere, or of questionable value. True enough.

That site has had such a shady history...

Also:

How fun, a sock puppet. (Apparently, three different MR accounts have logged in from the goodereader.com IP address.)
Wow! It is always easy to go astray in our conversations, and I request all to return to the original debate. Thanks

Let's hear about Pocketbook InkPad or Kindle DX, or rumours about up-coming models. Anyone?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
Wow! It is always easy to go astray in our conversations, and I request all to return to the original debate. Thanks
Off-topic conversation is a hallowed tradition of MobileRead, please bear with us. (There is doubtless a meme about it.)

Despite it all, we manage to churn out lots of useful information, yes?

Quote:
Let's hear about Pocketbook InkPad or Kindle DX, or rumours about up-coming models. Anyone?
Kindle DX suffers a lot from the fact that it is quite old and the software is missing all sorts of potential improvements. I doubt Amazon will be coming out with another 9.7" display, not when (at least for them) it is such a marginal need -- they will assume any of their readers buying Print Replica will get a tablet, hence the Kindle Fire, and to be fair, they are mostly right.

Despite that, many MobileRead members still cling fondly to their Kindle DX's, since the 9.7" screen is a nice thing to have, especially for PDF. I do not know if any of them are in the habit of reading technical PDFs, but perhaps someone who owns one will stop by and share their experience with technical PDFs.

What I think most of us are waiting for, really, is the day when a low-power color display fit for ereaders is finally available -- for that will be an obvious choice for a display with all the benefits of e-ink, married to tablet hardware/firmware. Imagine a tablet that is frontlit, has a color display, and lasts for days of straight usage, perfectly readable in sunlight, etc. etc.

Amazon has been sitting on LiquaVista for a while now...
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #25
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
What I think most of us are waiting for, really, is the day when a low-power color display fit for ereaders is finally available -- for that will be an obvious choice for a display with all the benefits of e-ink, married to tablet hardware/firmware. Imagine a tablet that is frontlit, has a color display, and lasts for days of straight usage, perfectly readable in sunlight, etc. etc.
In pursuit of perfection! A day might come when we shall have our dreams fulfilled. You forgot to mention TTS, remember?

Anyway, is there any way to install Ivona TTS on Kobo Aura HD. That would make it pretty much ideal, for me for the moment
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #26
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
No, sadly there is no support for audio on kobo.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a new Android 4.1 based Aura H2O coming out. Just wait and see if it will be as open as the T68.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
There is a new Android 4.1 based Aura H2O coming out. Just wait and see if it will be as open as the T68.
Now, that is both relevant and good news. Thank you! It was a little disappointing to discover that the Aura HD didn't support Ivona so I'm still waiting for someone to talk about Inkpad.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #29
xibalban
Connoisseur

Quote:
Amazon has been sitting on LiquaVista for a while now...
That sounds quite like the Fall has a lot in store for us to anticipate.
What are your general feelings about Onyx as a manufacturer, which is to say about the build quality of their devices, customer support, hardware, durability, etc?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #30
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post

Kindle DX (new or used) is still very good solution for those who really need affordable 10" e-ink reader.

Kindlepdfviewer app (a much better pdf reader than Kindle's native one) displays A4 pdf easily and quickly (in landscape mode, with or without margins) and it also reads djvu, epub, cbz.

It takes just a couple of minutes to install kindlepdfviewer thereon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=5

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=12

We can only underscore pdf (ocr-ed) in kindlepdfviewer though, so if we also need to scribble on pdf or annotate it otherwise, we can simply simultaneously (while reading on Kindle DX) open the same pdf in another tablet or e-ink depending on our preferences e.g. if we need color recognition, dictionaries, multitasking, lighweight device etc. then iPad mini or similar smaller tablet will suffice.

Last edited by markom; 08-19-2014 at 06:55 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote